Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 bandsaw Vibration Issues

Hello,

I have had the BS1400 bandsaw for about a year now, unfortunately I haven't used it very much and when I have I have not been very happy with the performance.

I had originally set it up with all the recommended modifications I read on this site. Example: Kreg fence, link belt, cool blocks, plywood added to base on both lower shelf and top, changed the blade and even used a thicker rubber under the motor mounts.
    After all this I still have vibration issues.
    Also I had not used the saw for about 4 months, went to use it, tightened the blade tensioner, turned the saw on and the blade came off, reinstalled the blade, centered it on the tires and again it came off.
    Called Rigid and they said the tires were stretched and would send me a set.

I have not installed the new tires but I doubt my vibration issues are the tires.
    I was wondering if it could be the wheels that are out on round and mentioned this to the customer rep, unfortunately I would have to haul this about 30 miles to an authorized repair center to look at it.

What is the easiest way to tell if the wheels are out of round and can I adjust or fix this myself?

I would appreciate any help.

Doug

Re: BS1400 bandsaw Vibration Issues

When the wheels are at rest take a sharpie and mark the bottom of each wheel. Spin the wheel by hand (blade and motor belt removed) and if the mark always ends up at the bottom you know that is the 'heavy' spot on the wheel. Many have balanced their own by removing metal from the wheel via holes drilled at the heavy spot. Once the wheel stops at random spot you know it is balanced enough for bandsaw speeds.

Comment

Just to add to wbrooks post. What he described is what I did with one addition. I had to remove the lower wheel brush. My saw works good now and will pass a nickle test while running. Balancing the wheels is the only modifacation I made. Still running the stock belt and did not add any support under the saw.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

What happened to the other 2 responses in this thread? They offered other ideas.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I missed yesterday and started reading threads oldest to newest today, I responded to this duplicate thread before I saw the other one that had similar answers to mine, Sorry

Comment

What happened to the other 2 responses in this thread? They offered other ideas.
            This is exactly why people shouldn't double post....

Comment

I just replied to the other one. LOL
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Hi Guys,

I apologize for the duplication, I fairly new to this forum, I meant to place this inquiry here but by mistake placed it in the wrong subject heading. I guess it doesn’t matter, it will be found due to the subject. I’ll know better next time.

Thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                X