Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24V Tool Questions

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
    Very nice Disaster, thank you. Further bolsters my assessment that Milwaukee and Ridgid are essentially the same quality.

Altho you should be advised that Watts (W, VA) are current * voltage. Watt-Hours (WH, VAH) are current * voltage * time.
    Right. Both are often simply called power, one instantaneous power, the other total power or stored power. I probably added to people's confusion by not including the hours in Watt-hours.

LOL back at ya. Those are orange. They just have weird lighting...and possibly you might want to check your screen calibration because they still look mostly orange to me...with yellow highlights.

Comment

OK, so Ridgid it is.

Now to try and find a deal. I guess eBay, but I must ensure that anything I bid on comes with an original receipt and the UPC from the box. Whole point is the lifetime warranty.

Looked at the hammer-drill and saws at Home Bleepo today, and man are they pretty. But heavy...

Comment

I doubt you will find tools on Ebay that will come with a receipt. Most people buy big sets and break them up. They only have one original receipt for all the tools. Besides that, is it possible to register the tools individually to different people if you got a receipt....or a copy of a receipt?

Here is something I posted in another thread regarding the pros and cons of buying Ridgid in general.

Pros:
        1. Less expensive...better value.
        2. LSA, Lifetime Service Agreement (only service cost is shipping...and yes that includes batteries)
        3. Tough

Cons:
        1. Heavy (generally the heaviest cordless tools in their class) The drill you are looking at, for example is nearly a pound heavier than Makita's compact drill and nearly the same weight as Ryobi's full sized drill.
        2. Less service centers, longggg waits to get parts and service (How long can you afford to be without your tool?)
        3. Lack of accessories and difficulties gettings the ones that do exist because HD doesn't carry all of them and HD is the exclusive US dealer.
        4. High cost of accessories such as batteries. This is compounded because HD doesn't carry them so it charges the full "list" price to special order them.
        5. Less tools to choose from. If you are building up a collection of cordless tools that all run on the same battery Ridgid has a much smaller lineup than say DeWalt or Milwaukee. Cordless grinder?...Ridgid doesn't sell one. Cordless Nail gun...you are out of luck.

Specific to the 24v set I'd add.
        1. 24v battery has high energy drain in standbye mode. This negates one of the big advantages of Lithium...always having full batteries.
        2. Batteries have a safety protection circuit that is designed to turn off the cell if the load is too high. Good idea but there isn't a way to reset it on the tool. You must return the battery to the charger to reset it. This can be a #!@#! pain when you are 18 feet up a ladder and the drill safety trips and your charger is locked in your truck.

Having said that, I have the 24v set because it was the best value in a Lithium tool set when I was shopping. I don't think that is the case currently but if you keep your eyes peeled there are often deals...especially right before the holiday season.

Comment

I considered Hilti first, because it is highest grade. Then Bosch. Then Milwaukee. But none of these have enough volume out there to find a deal. There are some Milwaukees out there, but still too expensive.

Ridgid is the next choice. But to maximize the benefit it'd be nice to have the warranty, although not critical.

The drill is the only vital tool to my operation. (ICF contractor) And I'll have two or more of these. Have multiple saws too.

And as to the devaluing to discourage theft, I think I can paint it flourescent green or blue or someut.

Comment

A couple weeks ago, the Milwaukee 4 piece v18 combo kit was $435 at Amazon (drill, recip saw, circular saw, light.) I would have jumped on that, if i hadn't already bought the Ridgid set. Unfortunately, it looks to have gone back up to over $500.

Another one that has tempted me is the Dewalt 36v reconditioned set (same tools) also at Amazon for $400....now $470. Those are beastly tools...but there were some reported problems with a couple refurb kits and the warranty is only one year.

I suspect we'll see lots more deals before Xmas...and possibly after.

Comment

Get the DeWalt set if you see yourself doing heavy work and heavy cutting with the saws. The drill is not really made for assembling furniture by any means, but it's the ticket for lag bolts, drilling studs and big holes for plumbing, mixing etc. But the Amazon refurb price is a hell of a good deal for that set.

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              A couple weeks ago, the Milwaukee 4 piece v18 combo kit was $435 at Amazon (drill, recip saw, circular saw, light.) I would have jumped on that, if i hadn't already bought the Ridgid set. Unfortunately, it looks to have gone back up to over $500.

Another one that has tempted me is the Dewalt 36v reconditioned set (same tools) also at Amazon for $400....now $470. Those are beastly tools...but there were some reported problems with a couple refurb kits and the warranty is only one year.

I suspect we'll see lots more deals before Xmas...and possibly after.

Comment

Just do not trust DeWalt anymore. They have cheapened them so much. I have a great old Dewalt corded drill, but they just don't make them like that anymore. Also I've found that the 36v series has serious reliability/usability problems.

Got to be Ridgid or better. The lifetime warranty tips it for me. I've been buying Crafsman handtools for 35 years because of this. Rarely had to buy a new one.

Comment

Really? Problems such as what? News to me. I've been using them for over a year, they work just as well as they did on day one. Batteries work flawlessly.

DeWalt isn't any cheaper than Bosch, Makita, or anyone else.

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
                  Also I've found that the 36v series has serious reliability/usability problems.

Comment

I've done alot of research, and have a job to go to now so don't have time to substantiate.

But this is my conclusion.

Bosch is far better quality. Milwaukee and Ridgid are quite a bit better.

Comment

Great then. When you have a moment please substantiate I'm always up for some good internet-quality hearsay.

Comment

Working...
                      X