24V Tool Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V Tool Questions

I am looking at buying the 24V hammer-drill, recip saw, etc. I gather that although Ridgid and Milwaukee are built by TTI (whoever that is), Milwaukee is perceived to be much better quality, and this is reflected in the prices. How can there be any such difference if both from TTI? Does anyone know of any substantiated differences?

Nano batteries (by A123) are unquestionably the best, and only available with Dewalt but AFAIC Dewalt is cheep Red Chinese quality otherwise, these days. Does anyone know who makes the batteries for Ridgid, and what technology they are?

I have always believed Bosch to be very good. Any solid reasons for how it would rate compared with Milwaukee and Ridgid?

I gather that Ridgid will very soon release a new set of battery tools. Will these be 36v, instantly cutting the value of my 24v stuff? Will it be the A123 or other nano battery? When is this going to happen?

Looking also for a table saw. Narrowed it to the Bosch 4000 and Ridgid 2400. I have determined that the Ridgid is 75lbs and the Bosch is 60lbs, and that the Ridgid is much noisier. Also that the Bosch has an Emerson motor and spins up easy under electronic control, so easier on the iron for longer life. Any substantive counter-arguments?

What is required for the Ridgid lifetime warranty? I hope to buy used, equipment which was not registered.

What are you guys doing to prevent jobsite theft of tools?

Re: 24V Tool Questions

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
    I am looking at buying the 24V hammer-drill, recip saw, etc. I gather that although Ridgid and Milwaukee are built by TTI (whoever that is), Milwaukee is perceived to be much better quality, and this is reflected in the prices. How can there be any such difference if both from TTI? Does anyone know of any substantiated differences?

Nano batteries (by A123) are unquestionably the best, and only available with Dewalt but AFAIC Dewalt is cheep Red Chinese quality otherwise, these days. Does anyone know who makes the batteries for Ridgid, and what technology they are?

I have always believed Bosch to be very good. Any solid reasons for how it would rate compared with Milwaukee and Ridgid?

I gather that Ridgid will very soon release a new set of battery tools. Will these be 36v, instantly cutting the value of my 24v stuff? Will it be the A123 or other nano battery? When is this going to happen?

Looking also for a table saw. Narrowed it to the Bosch 4000 and Ridgid 2400. I have determined that the Ridgid is 75lbs and the Bosch is 60lbs, and that the Ridgid is much noisier. Also that the Bosch has an Emerson motor and spins up easy under electronic control, so easier on the iron for longer life. Any substantive counter-arguments?

What is required for the Ridgid lifetime warranty? I hope to buy used, equipment which was not registered.

What are you guys doing to prevent jobsite theft of tools?
    There have been many tests of the various LI drills and saws of from the major mfgrs. All the Ridgid 24V stuff has compared favorably with others with very positive reviews. the Bosche stuff has rated very well, in fact it's 36V saw was rated best in a recent test, however the Ridgid 24V saw received a very good rating and look at the difference in price. We have been using the Ridgid 24V tools on the job for the last few months and have found the saws to be very usefull. We have the Ridgid 18V LI drill and reach for it first instead of the heavy 24V and have also used the MaxSelect impact tool alot for driving screws and found good use for the jig saw. So far they held up well to professional use on the job every day. We have used DeWalt tools for years and the Ridgid durability compares very well so far.
    I don't believe Ridgid will offer a 36V system as all the mfgrs are finding the market for LI tools is in the 18V LI lines due to weight, power, price tradeoffs.
    You must have a receipt to register the tools for SLA

Comment

The weight is different between the 24V and 18V drills? This little detail is unfortunately not on Ridgid's website anywhere.

I'd assumed the 24V would be lighter owing to LiIon battery.

Comment

TTI is a large chinese manufacturing company that makes both Milwaukee and Ridgid cordless tools among others. I don't really know how much better the Milwaukee branded stuff is in comparison but I would dare say it's probably very similar parts in the two brands. I think the Milwaukee brand just commands more prestige and the higher price.

Not sure who makes the Ridgid batteries but I would guess it's Molicel, who makes them for milwaukee. There's little chance you'll see A123 cells outside of Dewalt any time soon. They have an exclusive commitment with Dewalt and that is highly unlikely to change anytime soon. Milwaukee has their own exclusive deal with Molicel. Dewalt cordless stuff is actually made in Mexico. Ridgid and Milwaukee are made in China.

If you refer to their lithium ion tools they are quite good according to the limited reviews out there. The problem is their selection is extremely limited and they have been very slow to get the tools out on the market.

Extremely unlikely they will be comming out with a higher voltage group anytime soon.

The 2400 also has a soft start feature. It is quite loud though but has a better fence and larger table. The Bosch has been updated with a few neat features but I think I would stick to my 2400 given the larger table and fence alone.

Comment

The weight is different between the 24V and 18V drills? This little detail is unfortunately not on Ridgid's website anywhere.

There have been a few people here who have posted the weights for the 24v tools. They are heavier than the competition, that's always been the way with Ridgid cordless tools.

Comment

Good, I will consider Milwaukee and Ridgid equivalent quality. Ridgid is $cheaper. Using Dewalt on the job is not an option these days; they've been so cheepened. Tried to get a battery off a well-used tool?

Lithium-cobalt Molicel, hm? This is pretty good technology. However I read somewhere that Ridgid and maybe Bosch use lithium-magnesium batteries, which would indicate Valence Tech, the company that makes batteries for the Segway.

Bosch definitely wins multiple reviews for benchtop table saw, and I'll bet their hand-tools are better than Ridgid too. Must check Bosch prices. Their 4000 is quite a bit lighter than Ridgid's 2400, which matters alot to me.

Comment

All lithium cells for power tools are based on lithium manganese (except for A123). Cobalt is for electronics as it's unstable at high drain.

http://www.molienergy.com/Press%20Re...ease040117.htm

Comment

Hm, on the Moli product page it says lithium-cobalt. It doesn't matter though.

I find that Bosch tools are much less common than Ridgid, and so much harder to get a deal. My judgment is that Bosch is best quality.

I also need a digital level/protractor. But it must beep on 0/45/90/135 degrees. I guess almost no one uses these. Bosch makes one, but no indication that it beeps. I am an ICF contractor (http://ICF-Dev.com), and this would greatly speed up some operations.
                Last edited by Quantum; 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Quantum.......The Ridgid 18V drill I'm refering to is the new(few months) 18V LI compact drill with 1.5Ah batteries. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm It weighs 4.2 lbs with the battery and is a very good job site tool. I have been using it every day and have become very impressed with it's power, speed control, balance, electric brake, torque and surprising battery life for a 1.5.
                  The 24V LI weighs around 7 lbs (It's a hammer drill) but is surprisingly usable due to good balance. Yes Ridgid is aweful about not publishing weights on their tools, maybe due to the fact they are always on the heavy side.
                  Like I said previously there have been a number of comparison tests of LI drills and saws where Ridgid tools have faired well.
                  The bonus for me is the Lifetime Service Agreement which includes the very spendy LI batteries......Ray
                  Oh yes TTI is Techtronics industries which is headquartered in Hong Kong. They manufacture for Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi, Craftsman, and Homelite among others. See here http://www.ttigroup.com/general/home.php

Comment

Hm, Ridgid is not one of TTI's brands.

Furthermore, TTI actually owns Milwaukee.

Anyone know who makes Ridgid?

Comment

Emerson owns the Ridgid brand name for power tools but they are still built by TTI under contract. http://www.gotoemerson.com/jsp/news/...ReleaseID=2053

Comment

Hm, on the Moli product page it says lithium-cobalt. It doesn't matter though.
                        The company makes cells with Cobalt and Manganese technologies. The Manganese one is the one used for tool batteries.

Here is an interesting report on battery technologies.

http://www.acq.osd.mil/ott/natibo/docs/BatryRpt-2.pdf

and another page on the major technologies, with emphasis on A123 being used in the auto industry.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/5490

Comment

Great info, thanks guys.
                          Although, in the IEEE article they got their anode and cathode mixed up, LOL.

My remaining questions are
                          - what LiIon chemistry is in the Ridgid tools
                          - who makes the battery
                          - (and same questions for Bosch)
                          - why are some Ridgid tools yellow and others orange (does not seem to indicate voltage or age)
                          - how do you prevent jobsite theft?

Comment

Great info, thanks guys.
                            Although, in the IEEE article they got their anode and cathode mixed up, LOL.

My remaining questions are
                            - what LiIon chemistry is in the Ridgid tools
                            - who makes the battery
                            - (and same questions for Bosch)
                            - why are some Ridgid tools yellow and others orange (does not seem to indicate voltage or age)
                            - how do you prevent jobsite theft?
                            -You can find the battery cell info in this posting.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=13430&page=4

-Which tools did you see that were yellow?

-Lot of different recommendations to protect tools.

1. Buy cheap disposable tools when you can get away with it.
                            2. Spraypaint them pink.
                            3. Grind your name into them.
                            4. Keep them stored in a cheap dufflebag...not a toolbag with logo.
                            5. Buy "unpopular" tools. DeWalt 18v tools are more popular and therefore more likely to be lifted than Ridgid.
                            6. Don't leave them out of your sight.
                            7. Bring them in at night. Do not leave them locked up in a truck with a tradesman logo on the side.

Comment

Very nice Disaster, thank you. Further bolsters my assessment that Milwaukee and Ridgid are essentially the same quality.

Altho you should be advised that Watts (W, VA) are current * voltage. Watt-Hours (WH, VAH) are current * voltage * time.

Originally posted by Disaster
                              - Which tools did you see that were yellow?
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/24V-RIDGID-RECIP...QQcmdZViewItem
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-24V-2-Lit...QQcmdZViewItem

Originally posted by Disaster
                              2. Spraypaint them pink.
                              LOL, I don't think I could use them if they're pink!
                              (And I'm not exactly most peoples' idea of a manly man)

Ya, I think Bosch is the best power hand-tool out there but is not recognized as such, so would be even less susceptible than others. OTOH junkies will break your car window for change in the front seat.
                              Last edited by Quantum; 11-06-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X