Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid DP 1500 220 Voltage and Light

Hello,

I have a DP 1500, which I rewired to 220 voltage, which works very well, with the exception of the light... I have been unsuccessful locating a 220 light locally, and wanted to see if anyone else has found a more US bulb friendly solution. The manual states that the DP will run 110 or 220, and the wiring diagram on the motor shows how to do it, but I never thought about the light.

M.

Re: Ridgid DP 1500 220 Voltage and Light

If you check at a good electrical supply distributor (The kind of places serious electricians buy from) you should be able to find 50 Watt 250 Volt light bulbs. GE, Phillips and Sylvania make them. Be sure to unplug your drill press before trying to change the bulb. These are in the normal A19 size with regular medium threaded base like a common light bulb uses. I know some of the big industrial supply houses stock them, but I have found them at a good many good electrical supply houses locally.

Now the safer way would be to use a 4 conductor power cord, special plug and receptacle and have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. You would have to do some wiring work inside the drill press so the lamp circuit is connected to one hot and the neutral, but the motor would be connected to both hots.

May I ask why you wanted to run the drill press on 220-240 Volts? Normally it runs fine on 110-120 and you don't need to change things. If you were having problems, maybe it would be wise to have it on a private 110-120 Volt circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Now the safer way would be to use a 4 conductor power cord, special plug and receptacle and have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. You would have to do some wiring work inside the drill press so the lamp circuit is connected to one hot and the neutral, but the motor would be connected to both hots.
      That is what I was thinking. I'm not familiar how that DP is wired but it would be the most logical to use 4 conductor cord to be able to still run 120v off one of the lines for the lamp.

Comment

If the power switch for the motor isn't a 2 pole switch that switches both hots it's really not to safe to run it on 220-240 Volt power. Mostly I have seen single pole switches until you get over a 1 HP motor. While opening just one hot would stop the motor, please pull the plug when the drill press isn't in use.

I recommend changing it back to 110-120 Volts and if necessary run it on a private circuit or a circuit which doesn't have any heavy loads on it. Lights really should be on their own circuit. This prevents loss of light in case of overload and the blowing of a fuse or tripping a circuit breaker.

Comment

Hello, and thanks for the replies...

1) Why: I was cutting some large, deep holes with forsner bits, and wanted the extra torque. I don't know that I needed it, but my last Drill Press sucked, and I wanted to give it the extra power.
          2) How: I just wired it per the instructions on themotor, and the manual... the switch pulls both legs, or common and hot on 110, depending on how it is plugged. I don't think this is a problem here. (thats according to page 33 of the manual) I will throw the multimeter across it to make sure though. I usually unplug my tools when I am done... have little ones, and I like their fingers attached.
          3) I will check the local electrical houses for a 220 bulb... hadn't thought of that. I was looking on the internet, but wasn't looking forward to the shipping.

thanks much!
          M.

Comment

os2mac

The light bulb you want is known at an electrical supplier as 50A - 250 Volt

General Electric # 15995
            Sylvania #11397

You may have to go with a ruff service light bulb. In any case don't expect them to be cheap like the more common ones like a 60A - 120 Volt would be.

Remember they will be rated at 250 and not 220 Volts. If they have some old stock around they may have one in 230 Volts. For industrial plant use they may have some rated at 300 Volts. These are for use on 277 Volt circuits. I would ask for 50 Watt, 250 Volt light bulbs and see what they come up with.

If you find stock you might pickup several. They will run for several years as a night light when used on 120 Volts.
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X