X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid 2.5 Gallon Aluminum Air Compressor

In the new Home Depot "Tool Guide" 2007, here in Canada, they have listed a new Ridgid 2.5 gallon aluminum air compressor. I just picked it up, and man, am I ever pleased.

It is HD SKU # 495337, and Ridgid model # OF25135, with a price tag here of $199 CAD. Here's the sales verbiage on it:
    • lightest contractor aluminum oil-free twinstack available
    • rugged control panel protects gauges, controls and other components
    • lightweight aluminum tanks
    • slower running and durable induction motor lasts as much as 6 times longer than compressors with universal motors
    And here's the product specs from on the box:
    • Horsepower / Motor type: 1.0 Running / Induction Motor
    • Tank Capacity: 2.5 Gallons
    • Air Delivery SCFM @PSI: 1.9 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 2.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI (per ISO 1217 standards)
    • Pump Type: Oil-free Direct Drive
    • Pump Construction: Reciprocating Piston
    • Max PSI: 135
    • Quick Coupler: 2 each, heavy duty universal
    • Gauges: 2 each, 2 inch diameter with large scale & metal housing
    • Regulator: Fully Adjustable, Ratcheting
    • Shipping Weight: 36 lbs.
    Now, I know it's not a big compressor. But that's what I like about it. I wanted something small for my home shop. Besides using it for the occasional trim job, it's primary purpose will be for cleaning. In the last year, I've spent about $40 on those small cans of compressed air - I like a clean shop/garage, so I'm constantly cleaning things off once I'm done a job. So, with this compressor, I bought a small 25' coiled hose and a handheld air-nozzle gun, and it works like a charm.

The only drawback for someone that I can see to this unit is that it has an oil-free pump (they don't last as long, due to overheating issues causing a loss of the pressure seal over time), and it's very small capacity. But for my usages, it's perfect, and these drawbacks aren't as applicable. I just did some practice nailing with the R213 brad nailer, with 2" nails, pressure set at 75 PSI, and from when the compressor was full, it drove about 35 to 40 nails before it turned itself back on to top up the tanks again - not that bad for many homeowners' usages.

When I called my local store, they only had the one in stock. So, had them set it aside for me, and I later picked it up. I ended up getting a great deal, because we're having a Power Tool Savings Event on right now. I ended up saving $75 on this compressor and a Ridgid nailer combo (R213 brad nailer, R250 finish nailer, and 9.6V pivoting screwdriver kit). I only needed the brad nailer and the compressor, since I'm just about to start doing the trim work in finishing our basement (lots of chair rail to do). The kit I bought for $219, with the compressor for $199, minus the $75 instant savings (if I only got the compressor and the solo brad nailer, the nailer would have cost me $114, and the instant savings would have only been $35, based on the combined price). So, once I get the straight finish nailer and the pivoting screwdriver hawked off on eBay since I don't need them, I figure I'll be ahead of the game (should put me around $175 after taxes for the compressor and brad nailer). Great deal.

The only con to this experience is this - yet again, it seems that come parts of Ridgid and HD aren't too sure of what each other (or themselves) are doing. This air compressor is in this Tool Guide (page 42), print date of October 15, 2007. Yesterday, when I went on HD Canada's webpage, this item was no where to be found. Same on HD U.S.'s webpage. Same when you called any of the HD phone numbers for customer support - they had no idea that this tool even existed. And (drumroll, please), when you go onto Ridgid's webpage, this air compressor is not listed either. Call to Ridgid customer service - "this air compressor doesn't exist, sir - it could be a typo." And yet, I have it sitting in front of me, even as I type. Hmmmm.

Wonder if it is going to be the same with the Ridgid radio - a roll of the dice as to who knows what first (my local HD hardware manager connection told me when I picked this air compressor up yesterday, that the Ridgid radio SKU is now listed on HD Canada's system, but it is not yet listed as active). Price is listed at $129 - no mention of product specs or details. We just got the 18V compact lithium-ion drills here, for $229 (versus $179 in the US) - they were released in the US in end-June/start-July, and from the time the SKU was listed for them here in Canada until their release date last week, it was about 2 months. So, hopefully, the Ridgid radio will be on sale before Christmas time. Wait and see.

In the meantime, pleased so far with this unit.
    Last edited by canucksartech; 11-04-2007, 02:00 PM. Reason: Spelling flub - huuked on fonics wurked fur mi!

Re: New Ridgid 2.5 Gallon Aluminum Air Compressor

Yeah, I can't find this compressor ANYWHERE! I am looking into getting the 5 gallon Alum. unit, as my oil-free Porter-Cable is on its last leg.

Sounds nice though, and at 175.00 when you are all done, not a BAD deal! Would like to see some pics and I may have to make a run to CA from Upstate New York to check out what yous guys have that we don't. I might even be interested in your tools that you want to get rid of.
    Last edited by YankeeConCo; 11-04-2007, 11:25 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR!

Comment

Oh, it is a very nice unit. Very pleased so far. I'm just surprised that this isn't up on the webpage yet, but I've already bought it at the store.

Comment

I just noticed something to this unit. The box and other stickers on it state that it has a 135 PSI max pressure. However, the pump is turned off automatically at 125 PSI. I've opened up the housing for the pressure control switch, and there is a sticker in there that explains how you can adjust this. But on the screws/knobs that you would do so, they have a sort of hardened resin on there, looks almost like a more firm kind of hot glue. So I'm sure if I were to modify this, and something bad happened, it would probably void the warranty. I'm wondering if this was just set wrong, and it's correct on other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          I just noticed something to this unit. The box and other stickers on it state that it has a 135 PSI max pressure. However, the pump is turned off automatically at 125 PSI. I've opened up the housing for the pressure control switch, and there is a sticker in there that explains how you can adjust this. But on the screws/knobs that you would do so, they have a sort of hardened resin on there, looks almost like a more firm kind of hot glue. So I'm sure if I were to modify this, and something bad happened, it would probably void the warranty. I'm wondering if this was just set wrong, and it's correct on other ones.
          I wouldn't mess with it. 10psi isn't worth messing up the warranty. I doubt you would notice much difference. Besides, the gauges on compressors aren't that accurate to begin with.

Comment

Can you say "KABOOM?!"
            If you mess with the pressure gauge and you don't know why it has glue on it, you won't have to worry about the warranty. But your wife might want to see if your life insurance policy covers stupidity! Perhaps it's a safety feature built into the tool intentionally so it doesn't inadvertently over fill and explode! Not trying to be an jack***. But most safety features are designed to keep you.... safe! Think about it!
            Last edited by oysterman; 11-24-2007, 03:42 AM. Reason: Sorry about the "stupidity" thing. Don't want anyone to get hurt!

Comment

Oysterman, I get what you are trying to state, but no, I an'ts stoopid. I was just trying to say, it's funny how they sell the item with a maximum operating PSI of 135, yet they have it set so that it cuts out at 125 psi. If that's how they have it set, then it should be getting sold as a 125 PSI compressor, not 135. I put this out there, because I'm wondering if others have this unit yet, and what their units cut out at, just in case mine was set wrong at the factory. The adjustment sticker does say that it has a factory setting of 135 max pressure cut out, yet the adjustment screws aren't glued in at that, and the gauge is only showing 125 when it cuts out. I also tried an external pressure monitoring gauge that is very precise, and it also shows 125.

Comment

Originally posted by oysterman View Post
                Can you say "KABOOM?!"
                If you mess with the pressure gauge and you don't know why it has glue on it, you won't have to worry about the warranty... ...But most safety features are designed to keep you.... safe! Think about it!
                Also, no shiete, Sherlock. I do know why it has glue on it, and yes I realize that there are safety features. But "Kaboom" is a very large exageration. Most items have a 3-to-1 safety ratio built in. That means that for most things that have a safety rating on it (seatbelts, climbing harnesses and ropes, etc), there is a number given that is 1/3 of the average component failure rate. So, for an air compressor rated at 135 max PSI, it should have a tank failure pressure at around 400 PSI. Not sure if it is this way with this tank, but it was like that on an old one that I got from my dad a long time ago. It's like that on many things were safety is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  Most items have a 3-to-1 safety ratio built in. That means that for most things that have a safety rating on it (seatbelts, climbing harnesses and ropes, etc), there is a number given that is 1/3 of the average component failure rate. So, for an air compressor rated at 135 max PSI, it should have a tank failure pressure at around 400 PSI.
                  I wouldn't count on that...more like 1.5-2 to 1...if you are lucky.

Also, and this gets technical, aluminium does not have a point of infinite fatique strength, like steel. What that means is with a steel container, if you stay below a certain pressure, it will last forever. With aluminum, you can increase it's life by using lower pressures but it won't last forever...eventually it will break. Since they don't want it to blow up in anybodies face they designed it for a very high amount of cycles at the prescribed pressure. As you increase the pressure the cycles go down.

Because of this, aluminum scuba tanks are only allowed to be used for a few years...to avoid too many cycles.

Personally, I'll go for the extra weight and durability of steel.

Comment

I Disagree, The Aluminum Tank is lightwieght and will not leave rust stains on my garage. This compressor is so quiet that I can use it in the basement and my wife can sleep upstairs, saved my marriage!!
                    Last edited by Discostu; 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Well, it's been a month now since I bought the tool - no complaints, runs well. It's a lightweight treat that's easy enough to operate and move around while in use.

Also, it's been about a month now since ProBrand talked on another thread about getting this tool's details put up on the webpage, and nothing new listed yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X