Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dewalt 18V XRP 9 piece set - buy or pass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 18V XRP 9 piece set - buy or pass?

I've been holding off on buying a set of tools as the new Li-ion tools continue to roll out, but I'm seriously tempted to buy this Dewalt set. It seems like a good set of tools and the price is right. Local HD seems to be clearing these out and with the markdowns and sales it works out to about $90 per tool.

That seems like a great deal and the tools seem to be right for my situation. I'm a homeowner with the typical upkeep/renos/weekend projects.

Any experience with these tools or this kit? Is Ni-Cad still a good value or should I save up for Li-Ion? Look foward to any assistance/advice. Thanks.

Here are the details of the set from the HD website:
    Dewalt Heavy-Duty XRP 18V Cordless 9-Tool Combo Kit
    Model: DC9PAKIA
    DC925 XRP™ 18V cordless hammerdrill with DEWALT built high power motor delivers 510 unit watts out for maximum performance in all drilling and fastening applications. DC390 XRP™ 18V circular saw with 6-1/2" 16-tooth carbide blade and rip fence can cut 2 X 4's at a 45 degree angle in a single pass. DC385 XRP™ 18V reciprocating saw with keyless blade clamp allows for quick blade change without touching blade or reciprocating shaft. DW056 XRP™ 18V impact driver with 1,170 in-lbs of maximum torque. DC410 18V cut-off tool with 6,500 rpm provides high power for cutting and grinding applications. DW919 18V flexible floodlight provides hands-free use. DC330 XRP™ 18V variable speed jig saw with all metal lever action keyless blade change. DW059 18V 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with 300 ft.-lbs. of maximum torque DC550 18V Cut-out tool with tool-free bit change.

Re: Dewalt 18V XRP 9 piece set - buy or pass?

There are some great deals on those tools now and these kits always "look" like a great deal. But whether you should buy this type of kit will depend on which tools you plan on using the most. If you're thinking of doing a lot of circular, recip saw, or grinder work, I would steer clear of 18V and go with the new 28V coming out or 36V, or corded.

Comment

The question is do you really need all the tools? As far as 18v tools go some of those are among the best like the drill and reciprocating saw but with the 28v lithium tools comming out you might want to keep an eye out for that. Those are probably being cleared out to make way for new 18v and 28v lithium ion kits.

Comment

Okay, Dewalt makes very good cordless tools and this set has everything, but as mentioned do you really need it all and for that price? I would like to have a good 1/2" heavy duty impact gun but I can buy an Ingersoll Rand 19.2 volt model on E-Bay for $240.00 and get two batteries and a LED worklight. You don't need to spend close to $900.00 to get good cordless homeowner's tools. Check out the new 20 volt Lithium set at Sears. The three piece set comes with a 7 1/4" circular saw! I know the Dewalt set sounds inviting but if you want lithium, you still have to spend another two to three hundred dollars! I don't know if there has ever been such a time for new cordless tools and technology as now, and if you can wait just a little bit longer great things coming to the stores. Some people like Craftsman and some don't , this new lithium line might be worth a look. Don't rush into anything.

Comment

I don't need all the tools. I'll regularly use the drill and circular saw. I'll get occasional use from the jigsaw, reciprocating saw and impact driver. I'll rarely use the other tools.

Knowing that I'm still looking at this set because the per tool price is unmatched. Other XRP sets (4 or 6 tool) work out to $20 to $50 more per tool, as do the tools of competitive ni-cad sets.

Higher voltage and Li-Ion tools cost $50 to $100 more per tool.

I've learnt that I need tools beyond the 'handyman' level but I also don't need the latest, greatest, biggest, baddest pro-level tools as I'm not a tradesman.

I like the Makita LXT stuff, but it's a minimum $160 per tool even in the best priced kit. The 20V Craftsman kit is $600 for a 3 tool kit (and one of those is flashlight) which is $200 per tool.

Guess my basic question is are the higher voltages/li-ion worth the extra cost per tool?

Note: I am located near Vancouver, Canada so prices are what I can get locally and all prices are in Canadian dollars
          Last edited by burnaby; 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Frank

In regard to the 1/2" drive impact wrench, do you really need to go cordless? If a corded or air powered one would serve your needs, you have lots of good choices out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Check out the new 20 volt Lithium set at Sears. The three piece set comes with a 7 1/4" circular saw!......Some people like Craftsman and some don't , this new lithium line might be worth a look.
              I read in a review, the Craftsman was sadly lacking compared to other Lithium Ion saws...bottom of the heap. Seems odd since it is also manufactured by TTI which makes Ridgid. Perhaps the motor isn't as good and the decision to go with a full 7 1/4" blade was too much for it.

I agree with most of the rest of the advice here. I wouldn't hurry into the 18v set...especially with all the new Lithium Ion sets on the horizon. $90 per tool isn't such a great deal if you don't use most of the tools. I suspect you will start seeing DeWalt selling sets that come with the new Nanotech batteries and they will be considerably less expensive than buying a set and upgrading the batteries later.

Also, as was mentioned, you might want an 18v drill...but a 28 or 32v circular saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Frank

In regard to the 1/2" drive impact wrench, do you really need to go cordless? If a corded or air powered one would serve your needs, you have lots of good choices out there.
                I love my 1/2" cordless impact. I don't have to haul out and air hose and I can use it anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Frank

I absolutely do not Have to go cordless. I use a nice Black and Decker when I do the brake jobs on our three cars, or other work involving repeated high torque. I am just getting real dam lazy and would rather not lug around the cord from side to side on the car, then pick up the impact gun and find out the plug came loose. No necessity here beyond wanting another toy to make my life even more easy than it is. Pumping that jack is starting to get annoying too, maybe they can throw a motor on the end of that thing and a 18 volt battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                    I read in a review, the Craftsman was sadly lacking compared to other Lithium Ion saws...bottom of the heap. Seems odd since it is also manufactured by TTI which makes Ridgid. Perhaps the motor isn't as good and the decision to go with a full 7 1/4" blade was too much for it.

I agree with most of the rest of the advice here. I wouldn't hurry into the 18v set...especially with all the new Lithium Ion sets on the horizon. $90 per tool isn't such a great deal if you don't use most of the tools. I suspect you will start seeing DeWalt selling sets that come with the new Nanotech batteries and they will be considerably less expensive than buying a set and upgrading the batteries later.

Also, as was mentioned, you might want an 18v drill...but a 28 or 32v circular saw.
                    I was wondering how strong that 7 1/4 would be and just how much work you would get out of it? I was at Sears yesterday and that 20 volt Lithium display looked interesting, all sorts of tools. If they're as bad as you say I guess there will be plenty of returns. I would still not rush into a new set with nicads considering the flood of lithiums coming.

Comment

Craftsman lithium tools are closer to ryobi than ridgid. Some of their cordless are in fact rabdged Ryobi. The circular saw was seriously lagging at the bottom in the tools of the trade review.

Comment

Stay away from any cordless 7 1/4" saw unless it's one of the 36V ones from DeWalt or Hilti.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I was wondering how strong that 7 1/4 would be and just how much work you would get out of it? I was at Sears yesterday and that 20 volt Lithium display looked interesting, all sorts of tools. If they're as bad as you say I guess there will be plenty of returns.
                          The saw faired particularly badly. The drill seems to get better reviews, though I haven't seen it reviewed by professionals yet. Also, the battery is only 2.2Ah.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...hium+ion+drill

Here is the review.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...71677&artnum=1

and the comments.

"Tied for last (10th) place in cuts per charge test, last (11th) in power test, unable to complete high-demand test. This saw was outclassed by every other saw in the test and is not suitable for professional jobsite use. It stalled out constantly, because its large blade requires more torque than its 20-volt motor can supply; this often required a manual resetting of its battery overload switch. The cut-line light and battery fuel gauge are nice features, but the saw could do without the laser."

Comment

Originally posted by burnaby View Post
                            I've been holding off on buying a set of tools as the new Li-ion tools continue to roll out, but I'm seriously tempted to buy this Dewalt set. It seems like a good set of tools and the price is right. Local HD seems to be clearing these out and with the markdowns and sales it works out to about $90 per tool.
                            Ridgid has an 8 pc set for $499, plus they will give you 10% off, total, $450. If you want some Li-Ion batts, add in the ridgid compact drill set for $179.

So for $629, you get 9 pc's, two 18V ni-cad batts, a 9.6V ni-cad, two 18V Li-Ion batts, and two chargers that will charge both ni-cad and Li-Ion batts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Concrete View Post
                              Ridgid has an 8 pc set for $499, plus they will give you 10% off, total, $450. If you want some Li-Ion batts, add in the ridgid compact drill set for $179.

So for $629, you get 9 pc's, two 18V ni-cad batts, a 9.6V ni-cad, two 18V Li-Ion batts, and two chargers that will charge both ni-cad and Li-Ion batts.
                              I like my Ridgid 18 volt nicad tool set, but you can't count the Ridgid compact lithium batteries as part of this overall tool set. They are only rated at 1.5 AH and are designed for the compact drill. We have been told a higher AH 18 volt lithium is comming and that would make your idea a good one. I like the 18 volt hammerdrill, impact driver, reciprocating saw and circular saw. If Ridgid does come out with that stronger 18 volt lithium I would buy them for my current Ridgid tools and I would buy more tools such as the Jigsaw. Question is "When"???

Comment

Working...
                              X