• Show
Clear All

• Makita LXT Impact Wrench

I just came across this:

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=BTW450

Not the prettiest looking thing is it?

Huge torque though!

Re: Makita LXT Impact Wrench

Nice to see more competition. Good specs too.

Comment

Looks very competitive to other models out there. It ain't pretty but it's no Hitachi either

Comment

It doesn't look bad. Hitachis look hideous! I realize performance is more important than looks, but did I mention that Hitachis look hideous?!

Comment

Sorry for this question but, what are the typical applications for a tool like this? Car wheels? What else? What size of nuts we are talking about?

Best

Ari

Comment

Originally posted by Ari View Post
            Sorry for this question but, what are the typical applications for a tool like this? Car wheels? What else? What size of nuts we are talking about?

Best

Ari
            Automotive and heavy machinery. Use mine mostly for removing lug nuts....they zip off in under a second. You need about 200 ft-lbs for lug nuts....300 ft-lb for axle and brake fasteners.

A lot of racer's bring these to small venues where air isn't readily available....vs. haul their own compressor. Lots of Autocross guys have these because they race in parking lots with no power of any kind.

Comment

I don't know what Hitachi are thinking with those crazy green designer patterns. The tools are supposed to be pretty good, but wouldn't some of those grip designs leave an imprint on your hand?

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              Looks very competitive to other models out there. It ain't pretty but it's no Hitachi either

Comment

Originally posted by Ari View Post

Best

Ari
                They're great for screwing in any fastener. Because they give super quick "hits", it's a lot harder to cam out of a phillips screw. I've been giving serious consideration to buying the mini impact by Bosch. If only I won the lottery; these choices would be so much simpler.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  They're great for screwing in any fastener. Because they give super quick "hits", it's a lot harder to cam out of a phillips screw. I've been giving serious consideration to buying the mini impact by Bosch. If only I won the lottery; these choices would be so much simpler.
                  that would be the 1/4 " impact not the 1/2"
                  i love my 18v dewalt
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Is that the Dw059? I'd love to get one of those some time, but for me I probably wouldn't use it that often. Would be great for changing tires though!

Comment

Sceeter

For tire changing I would take a good look at this one. While you have a cord it cost less than cordless and runs circles around them.
                      http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=10452
                      Last edited by Woussko; 11-12-2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: I got to howling again and needed to fix this post

Comment

True good point, or an air-powered wrench. They are kings of torque!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          Sceeter

For tire changing I would take a good look at this one. While you have a cord it cost less than cordless and runs circles around them.
                          http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=10452
                          By the time you haul out that extension cord I'll have all the lugs off with my cordless impact wrench. Like all cordless tools...it is about convenience. No cord to wind and unwind. No cord to get tangled under a tire.

In fact, impacts, are one area where cordless gives up very little to corded. You have more than enough torque...and enough power to change a dozen tires.

Comment

If you've already got the batteries you can get a bare tool impact wrench for quite cheaper than a corded. They really don't give that much up to corded, about 325ft-lbs vs 345ft-lbs. I've considered picking one up off ebay for changing and rotating tires. Otherwise I'd have no other use for one but I guess it could save me money if it means I will not put off until too late to rotate tires and wear them prematurely

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                              ....Otherwise I'd have no other use for one but I guess it could save me money if it means I will not put off until too late to rotate tires and wear them prematurely
                              I must confess. That was the big draw for me. I'm very bad about rotating the tires. :-( With the impact I am much better about it. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X