X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best professional Drill?

Hey guys, ive been browsing the forums for a while now, and am having a dificult time comming to a conclusion on the current best drill to get.

First off i was to say, i am a contractor, and put my tools through hell daily, so im looking for the top of the lot stuff. Pricing isnt huge becuase in the long run the tools make me all my money back and more...

I was looking at the new Li-Ion stuff, particularly the 18v+ stuff. The 28v stuff caught my eye well because i really like the wieght balance of my brothers 18v dewalt vs the smallers stuff, and 28v commonly boast weights similar to Nicad 18v's.

So my main choices were the Milwaukee v28
    the Makita hybrid (though im starting to hear rather negative stuff on this one)
    And now possibly the new Dewalt nano stuff that jsut came out.

The thing thats kinda scaring me off the Dewalt is this uwo rating. The milwaukee v28 says 600in lbs torgue... I have zero idea what that really it to uwo. And then considering the thread i read on hear where people called dewalt about that very issue, and the reps qouted 300-400 in lbs torque for the 36v tools...

Another factor is the common tales of the xrp batteries dying fast... I haev first hand exp on that. Im about to throw my brothers batteries out the damn window, and i swear he couldnt have bough this new set of batteries more than 1 year ago. Very agitating.

Then again i heard Milwaukee had a recall on there batteries and lots of horror stories there.

The makita sounded cool with impact driver mode, but honestly it doesnt seem to be getting great reviews, and my dads got the impact driver i bought him for his birthday, and hes turned into a desk monkey now that im working for him lol, so i take his impact driver when i need it.

It would be nice to evtually grab the sawzall to each set too, but im not overly worried there. From reviews it seems the milwaukee sawzall is a real gem, and if the dewalt is anything like my brothers ill be happy with it. So kinda win win either brand.

So i really just dont know the best route here, nor can i find any reviews comparing the tools, or any on the new dewalts period.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Re: Best professional Drill?

So it looks like what you're really looking for is combo kit with reciprocating saws and maybe circ saw? Well anyway its much better deal to buy a combo than the individual drill and saw.

Don't worry about the UWO vs torque rating. There have been few discussions on the subject which you should find doing search for UWO. Basically the idea is the UWO rating mesures the tools usable power in watts while torque measures the spike in power the drill motor makes just before it stalls on the lowest gear and starts to burns out. Torque is not a usefull spec as it gives no actual indication how the tools performs t actual workable speeds. If you take a look at comprisons between drills of similar torque ratings you'd see right away that they can perform drastically different under real loads. The 36v drill will destroy anything else in raw torque at any speed.

Another thing to consider is runtime vs weight. If you want tools that can run for most of the day with minimal time recharging you should definately look at the higher voltage groups, 28v+.

Comment

I was thinking about a combo deal yes, but if i had to you can generally buy tools as "tool" only, instead of buying the tool+ another set of batteries which is where the money slap comes in. But its still a good possibility depending on the price. Fact is i need the drill more, my brothers is on its last leg, but the sawzall still works fine.

The reason 28v caught my attention too, is like you said, runtime. Im very comfortable with the wieght of nicad 18volts iv'e used thus far, so 28v seems a safe bet since they are generally compared to that wieght or less.

But the 18v battery time doesnt always cut it for me. I really try to break out the corded stuff on a need only basis.

The 36v however, is kinda pushing the price limit of what id like, and i dont really know if the trade off is well worth it since if i need the power i a 36v drill i have a holehawg. The chances of me using a corded drill do drill tons of 3inch holes is very slim.

But i do need something very well built and rugged. Id say 60% of my drilling is backer screws into cement board for showers and such. I need something that can hold up well to that.

Comment

But i do need something very well built and rugged. Id say 60% of my drilling is backer screws into cement board for showers and such. I need something that can hold up well to that.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what the board would think of a small corded Hilti TE6, or one of Hilti's new cordless drills? When I did drill runs back in the day with a Hilti TE5 no other drill came close to the ruggedness of that tool. Never did much out of the hammer mode but if that was any indication it has got to be one of the toughest if not the toughest drill. Not cheap but at least you don't have to keep buying over and over.

Comment

I use a ridgid x2 hammer drill. I use it to drill tap-cons, red heads and even for backer board. Ive had it for three years and it still works fine.

Ridgid / HD is clearing out the older ni-cad sets. They have a five pc kit with that drill, cir saw, impact, recip saw, flashlight, two 2.5 batts and a twin charger for $399 and you could ask for another 10% off ($40) and get it.
          They also have the 8 pc kit for $499.

Comment

All of my stuff are Dewalt 18V with 10+ batteries, some from 2004. All of the Dewalt tools proved to be very durable.

This drill is a beast --> http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=15127

It's the newer model with more power.
            I gotta use earplugs sometimes when hammer drilling while setting anchors or tapcons. It blows like a corded hammer drill.
            The new chuck is pretty neat too because the 3 jaws don't rotate while holding the chuck when the drill is spinning. They only start to rotate after it clamps down on the bit.
            When roughing in houses, I use this drill with a 4 3/4" Lenox hole saw to set my water closet flanges.

I still have my older model, the DC988 which I had since 2003, it's only a back up now.

Once my batteries start to go, I'll buy the Nano batteries.

Tracy
            Last edited by yasudaplumbing; 11-09-2007, 01:18 AM.
            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Go lithium-ion. Now that it's here in power tools, it's worth the investment. IMHO, I'd say Ridgid 18volt lithium-ion drill, matched up with the MaxSelect impact driver (and then with the MaxSelect recip saw, if you wanted it). That way, you also have the option of upping the ante with these tools and adding in the 24 volt lithium batteries to give the MaxSelect tools a real kick of power.

But the MaxSelect impact driver with the 18 volt lithium-ion batteries are a pure joy to use together. I can sit there all day and drive backer screws with this setup. Good as gold.

Next best thing would be if a nekkid Kate Beckinsale showed up here in my kitchen, right as soon as I snapped my fing.....

Oh. Hello, Kate.

Bye, guys.

Comment

Makita makes a nice drill. The combo at Home Depot for $399 is a great deal for lithium ion kit.

Comment

Originally posted by cazten View Post
                  I was thinking about a combo deal yes, but if i had to you can generally buy tools as "tool" only, instead of buying the tool+ another set of batteries which is where the money slap comes in. But its still a good possibility depending on the price. Fact is i need the drill more, my brothers is on its last leg, but the sawzall still works fine.

The reason 28v caught my attention too, is like you said, runtime. Im very comfortable with the wieght of nicad 18volts iv'e used thus far, so 28v seems a safe bet since they are generally compared to that wieght or less.

But the 18v battery time doesnt always cut it for me. I really try to break out the corded stuff on a need only basis.

The 36v however, is kinda pushing the price limit of what id like, and i dont really know if the trade off is well worth it since if i need the power i a 36v drill i have a holehawg. The chances of me using a corded drill do drill tons of 3inch holes is very slim.

But i do need something very well built and rugged. Id say 60% of my drilling is backer screws into cement board for showers and such. I need something that can hold up well to that.
                  Maybe instead of a combo you would be best suited with a light 18v drill like a Makita LXT or one of the new 18v lithium ion Dewalts and a higher voltage for the saw.

Comment

Best pro cordless drill,that is not so clear cut as you have several great units.

I have the Bosch Brute Tough 36V hammerdrill my favorite among all top of the line drills. It can use the light slim 36V packs as well as the larger 36V high capacity packs. Quality is tops,durability way up there and it is smooth as silk when drilling or driving large hole saws.

It is rated at over 600lb in of torque,I would estimate its UWO around 600-650W.

My most capable drill is the DeWalt 36V monster,this unit has a 750UWO rating and in high speed is a true high speed drill. In low speed it could very well surpass 650lbs of torque,you have to really try to bog this monster down. Not Bosch smooth but tough and can match a 8-9 AMP corded drill in almostr any application ! As these range from under 700UWO to just a hair over 750UWO.

I like my third monster the Ridgid 24XLi hammerdrill,almsot the same as the Milwaukee V28. I bet the motor,gearing and most components
                    are the same. The battery pack/charger and casing color are what separates these drills.

Rated at 615lbs in of torque and probably over 550UWO this is another brute,runns great,feels great. A great buy.And obviously inline with the big Bosch or DeWalt monsters.

Makita,Hitachi and Panasonic,well they do not have any monsters. More like superbly designed mid sized drills(I have seven from these three brands).

The torque on these are well below the three big ones ,look at the max torque when aproaching the 600 mark is often at a very very slow(200-350) RPM !

Anything with 600lbs in and up torque can drive 3-4 in lag bolts with ease,and thick ones too.

*These drills beat the so called 1000 plus lbs in ratings on impact drivers.As impact drivers raings are inflated. Try to reach the limit on the bosch drill drining a lag and then take a impact driver with a 800lbs in rating to drive the same lag bolt. You will see the impact would be rated at 1200 plus to accomplish this work fast.
                    Last edited by MrToolman; 12-05-2007, 11:44 PM.

Comment

It comes down to weight when you start talking about 24V and 36V. If you don't mind the weight then go for it.

Which company you choose usually comes down to personal preference and what your friends "say" works best.

If you get the opportunity to try them all side by side it can be eye opening. Most companies have a 30-90 money back guarantee these days, so if you can't stand the decision you made, there are return options.

Comment

Working...
                      X