Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you use a 3/8ths corded drill?

And what brand do you prefer? I have 2, A quantum pro black and decker, and an old Sears Industrial. Bought new,I believe I paid 25 dollars each on clearance. I use them very little anymore, since I have a drywall gun for drywall, a 1/2 inch drill for most drilling, a few cordless drills...
    Are you guys shelving yours as well? When do you find these tools usefull?

Re: when do you use a 3/8ths corded drill?

i too have two quantum 3/8 drills(man they take a beating for this price range) i keep an 1/8" bit in one and a 1/4" bit in the other just for predrilling only.

i often wonder why black and decker quit making the quantum tools, for the money they were great and and you werent to embrassed to bring them on a job site.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajames View Post
      And what brand do you prefer? I have 2, A quantum pro black and decker, and an old Sears Industrial. Bought new,I believe I paid 25 dollars each on clearance. I use them very little anymore, since I have a drywall gun for drywall, a 1/2 inch drill for most drilling, a few cordless drills...
      Are you guys shelving yours as well? When do you find these tools usefull?
      I don't use them any more.

If I have to drill small pilot holes, I still have my Makita 9.6V .
      Otherwise I use my Dewalt 18V.

Tracy
      sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

I have a 1974 era Craftsman 3/8 VS that I still use for heavy duty long-term work. Also a Milwaukie Hole Shooter and more recently a Ryobi Clutch Driver. All corded and all still in use. My first power drill was a 1/4 Sears Companion that I bought in 1967. I think it was about $8. Though it is a single-speed, no reverse, with only bronze bearings, it still works as well as ever. Don't use it any more though.

I do have a couple of cordless Ridgid drills, unfortunately the darned 14-volt has chuck wobble, so it's about worthless for drilling anything small, as it will snap the drill bits. Yet, I haven't wanted to part with it long enough to send it in for service. The 18-volt Ridgid 1/2-inch hammer drill is still in the box. Got it last January, as part of a combo close-out, but with all the other renovation projects I simply haven't had the time or the need to put that to use.

CWS

Comment

my most used 3/8 corded drill is a old single speed B&D drill, built like a tank, and it has a paint mixer in the chuck, and the mixer is in need of being scraped down again as it is nearly a 1/4" thick with paint layers now again. It says out most of the time ready to use.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've got the R7000 and use it any time I need to do any drilling. It's always done the job for me.

I don't have cordless tools though (except cordless screwdrivers) so this is my go-to tool when I need to drill stuff. I'm not a pro so I just need it around the house and garage. Always a plug nearby.

Comment

Being a crazy drill guy, I have more than just one 3/8" drill. I use the drill I feel will do the best job for me at the time and also which one I happen to just like. There are many different types of drills per size and sometimes it takes having more than just one. For small holes I normally use either an old Makita single speed cordless or my vintage Black & Decker single speed 1/4" drill. For larger holes anymore I grab my Milwaukee 0234 which is in my opinion a sort of hybrid 3/8 and 1/2 pistol grip. With VSR it does many jobs. Then at times I need a little right angle drill so out comes #3. For bigger work I have a few different 1/2 heavy drills and when needed for the really tuff work out comes my big beast Black & Decker Industrial 3/4" spade handle monster. It's the father to the Dewalt DW138 in case anyone wants to check that out.

Is Woussko insane when it comes to corded drills and cordless drills too? in a word YES he is. I have too many of them and can never have too many so it seems.

PS: My all time favorate 3/8" corded is a Black & Decker Professional model 1175 that's got to be 25 plus. I take care of it and it should last me another 25 years. It's a sort of crossover 1/4 & 3/8 in one. It is a VSR model and I put a very nice keyed 3/8 chuck on it. Now I'm set.
              Last edited by Woussko; 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                PS: My all time favorate 3/8" corded is a Black & Decker Professional model 1175 that's got to be 25 plus. I take care of it and it should last me another 25 years. It's a sort of crossover 1/4 & 3/8 in one. It is a VSR model and I put a very nice keyed 3/8 chuck on it. Now I'm set.
                I've got an old B&D like that I bought in 1971 and still using it. On my third chuck. It does not have reverse, but plenty of torque and power (top rpm about 1200 IIRC) Can't read the model number. I use it when doing a lot of drilling, like for predrilling deck boards, or just last week, putting 420 1/4 x 3/8 deep holes in cabinet sides (5 four foot tall cabinets) for the adjustable shelves. Have also used it to drill through a ball joint (long ways) on a '67 Chevy so I could break it loose from the A-frame. It gets used enough that I have never had to dust it off. Works great for rotary file work, wire brushes, grinding wheels, etc. Only time the batteries die is when the lights go out.

Go
                Last edited by Gofor; 11-09-2007, 08:48 PM.
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I don't use one anymore. I may still have an old one laying around here somwwhere. I do most jobs with my Makita LXT drill or impact driver. I do smaller (hardware installation) with the Bosch pocket driver. When I have something really big like a holesaw or concrete anchors, I have a corded DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill. I really have no need for a light duty corded model.

Comment

To use w/ wire brushes. WE often need to sand the metal lift for the cover of our hot tub. A high speed drill w/ a wire brush can get to places a angle grinder w/ a wire brush cannot!!!!
                    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I just aquired a floor model makita 0-2500 4.9 amper moel no 490x for only 37.90 at sears(where else???).

Comment

Akita loves Makita and this is why --- http://www.makita.com/assets_company..._oct_large.jpg

Now we can tell he is a good normal guy that happens to enjoy some nice eye candy.

Comment

Yeah she's a real sweetie!!!!

Comment

Akita, Which model drill is it really? They don't make a 490x.

Comment

6408. I thought it was 490 and some other number. Looked at the drill 6408. Only bad thing is the crummy keyless chuck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X