Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which framing nailer?

Hey Guys,

Well my brother in law is building a house and doing a lot of the work himself. And because I will be helping I finally have an excuse to buy a framing nailer. Helping him will probably be the most I ever use this. That all said. I am leaning towards the Porter Cable for two reason: one I can get one reconditioned at a fraction of the price and two because I know several people who have them and like them.

Any suggestions or personal information would be greatly appreciated. Also what type of nail: clipped or round head. I am leaning round head because it has a better finished look and can be used for fences and what not.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Which framing nailer?

for your uses the porter cable shold do you fine, and go with full round head nails as the clipped head are getting to be phased out in many areas, like here in florida the only place you can use them is the interior walls, and even then i think that is starting to become a no no.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

for what you will use it for i would go with the paslode cordless. i have it as well as a regular paslode, they take the same full round head nails and you dont have to get the compressor and hoses out to shoot a few nails. if you were on a framing crew i would say pneumatic, but for limited use the cordless is amazing.

Comment

Paslode, and I own and have owned many guns.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have the Porter Cable FR350 and have built several sheds and walled in some carports with it. If you can get it at a good price, it will do what you need.

1. I would go with the round head (ie the FR350 vs the F350; the F stands for Framing, the R for round head, and the 350 for 3 1/2" max nail length)

2. Do a little practice with it before you use it. You need to push it to the wood with authority, not just a tap (a tap will give you double nails and richocets). You will also need to reset the penetration depth between the framing nails and the sheathing nails. When nailing in at an angle, set the gun in place, brace with the other hand, then pull the trigger. If you try to "look like a pro" with a pneumatic framing nailer and you aren't experienced with it, you will at best waste nails and at worst seriously hurt yourself or someone else. Start cautiously and you will get more efficient as you go. It is not a toy.

Oh yeah, buy a good pry bar and a good cats-paw nail puller (Sears sells some good ones). You will need them before you are done to remove the mistakes when you can't just drive them in with a hammer or reach them with the hammer claw. DAMHIKT

When you get tired: STOP. Framing nailers are not light and your muscles won't be used to using it. It will take a couple days to get into tone. When you are tired or the arm is feeling like a rag is when you are going to really screw up. A busted thumb nail from a hammer is an Ouch. A 3" nail buried in you is a trip to the emergency room if it doesn't hit something vital.

JMTCW

Go
          Last edited by Gofor; 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by cat44 View Post
            for what you will use it for i would go with the paslode cordless. i have it as well as a regular paslode, they take the same full round head nails and you dont have to get the compressor and hoses out to shoot a few nails. if you were on a framing crew i would say pneumatic, but for limited use the cordless is amazing.
            I had one,They wanted too much to replace the mother board

The battery pick-ups were some how placed to where I being to rough jamming the newly charged batteries into place damaged the board.Plus it can't keep up when I'm nailing off shear panel or a roof.

If your going gas get another battery.

I use the Hitachi NR83A.

Comment

I have a Paslode Cordless and it works great. You can use clipped head or Paslode RounDrive nails in it.
              I also have a Porter Cable FC350A clipped head nailer that works great. I mostly use the Paslode for remodel jobs because it's nice not to have to drag out a compressor. Most clipped head nailers will take the Paslode RounDrive nails. I like the 30deg paper collated nails rather than the full round head plastic collated because you don't have plastic shards flying everywhere and there's little flagging on the driven fasteners.

Comment

I use a Bostitch N89C coil nailer because I hate stopping to reload

It takes 300 round head nails at a crack
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I use a Glock 26 with a high capacity magazine because I hate stopping to reload...

It takes 33 9mm lead heads at a crack
                  Last edited by Newman; 11-10-2007, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                    I have a Paslode Cordless and it works great. You can use clipped head or Paslode RounDrive nails in it.
                    I also have a Porter Cable FC350A clipped head nailer that works great. I mostly use the Paslode for remodel jobs because it's nice not to have to drag out a compressor. Most clipped head nailers will take the Paslode RounDrive nails. I like the 30deg paper collated nails rather than the full round head plastic collated because you don't have plastic shards flying everywhere and there's little flagging on the driven fasteners.
                    Newman-

Does your PC Framing nailer work with the Paslode RounDrive nails? I've got that same framing nailer and have thought about buying a box of those nails.

Comment

you might want to check with your building dept regarding what type of nails are permitted for framing. in my city in westchester county, ny, clipped are not code. full head nails only. i also have a PC fr350 and its up to just about anything.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin2025 View Post
                        Newman-

Does your PC Framing nailer work with the Paslode RounDrive nails? I've got that same framing nailer and have thought about buying a box of those nails.
                        Yes, one stick at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                          I use a Glock 26 with a high capacity magazine because I hate stopping to reload...

It takes 33 9mm lead heads at a crack
                          That's some serious fire power you got there Newman
                          I'll bet your place is varmint free

I know with mine them pesky 2x4's don't stand a chance...
                          Cheers! - Jim
                          -------------
                          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                            you might want to check with your building dept regarding what type of nails are permitted for framing. in my city in westchester county, ny, clipped are not code. full head nails only. i also have a PC fr350 and its up to just about anything.
                            That's the sweet thing about these Paslode RounDrives. Check out this link http://www.paslode.com/products/fasteners.html#prostrip
                            They convert a clipped head nailer to a full head nailer.

Comment

Working...
                            X