Nano Battery Review from Amazon.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Battery Review from Amazon.com

I noticed this review showed up on Amazon.com for the new DeWalt Nano batteries fitting in the old NiCad tools.

A while ago, we were discussing on here that the Nano battery looks significantly shorter in length and I was wondering how it would fit in the existing NiCad tools without the "pod" battery mount on those older tools overlapping the battery's smaller body. Sounds like it does overlap!

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, other than it might look a little strange. So I guess if you are tool fashion conscious, this might bother you.

Originally posted by User review from Amazon.com
    I cannot give this a rating on performance as I have not tested the battery on a project. However, I will give this new Nano battery a resounding ZERO stars on fit with the existing 18V NiCad line. Although it does plug in, it does not even remotely match the body lines of the battery interface.

The new battery is shorter in length than the XRP. This means the edge of the tool body sticks out past the body of the nano, both front and rear. I undestand that they are doing this to not only make a smaller tool, but to annoy current owners enough to buy the new tool. But, owning many of the current desings, I don't see that happeing any time soon.

This is one place were Milwaukee has beaten Dewalt. Their 18V Lithium matches the body lines of their current 18V NiCad series. Now do I plan to switch to Milwaukee, no. But, at the same time I will not be buying any Dewalt Nanos until all my NiCads are dead and no new NiCads can be purchased or unless they come out with a Nano that matches the XRP footprint.

Re: Nano Battery Review from Amazon.com

That is a perfect example of how you can never please everyone. The nano batteries will by definition be smaller, which is what EVERYONE wants. Now they have a dilemma. Do they stick to the old base and keep the battery bigger so it fits neatly into the base. Then you'll have everyone whining the battery is too big for a lithium ion pack. Or should they just scrap the entire design and do away with the pods and introduce two completey seperate product lines with different batteries and force everyone to rebuy the tools like Makita did? Ironically that is why keeping things backwards compatible can be bad for business Form before function...

I realized that was going to be the case as soon I saw Dewalt releasing two models of the impact driver. The DC825 and 827 are exactly the same with the exception the 825 has the wider base for the old batteries and the 827 fits teh nano batteries neatly.

Comment

I saw that too with the impact drivers. They also seem to have a NiCad pack that's slimmer than the XRP that goes with the new compact drill models they have.

Anyway, I call 'whiner' on anyone that complains about this battery fit thing on the old tools. Does the battery work in the tool? Great! Shut up and use the damned tool! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
        I saw that too with the impact drivers. They also seem to have a NiCad pack that's slimmer than the XRP that goes with the new compact drill models they have.

Anyway, I call 'whiner' on anyone that complains about this battery fit thing on the old tools. Does the battery work in the tool? Great! Shut up and use the damned tool! LOL
        Agreed. Folks who care more about how the tool looks than how it works are not the reviewers I care about anyway.
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post

Agreed, and if Ridgid comes out with a higher AH 18 volt lithium that fits my nicad tools, I don't care if it's pink with hearts and flowers or shaped like a donut. I'll buy it! Now I'm hungry for a donut.

Comment

These new nano 18v batteries coming out are the same 2.5 ah rating as the nicads are right?

Comment

I would say Function is the most important quality, but Form is also important too. If your going to spend the extra time to develop backwards compatible tools and charge a premium, then I want a premium product in return.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                That is a perfect example of how you can never please everyone. The nano batteries will by definition be smaller, which is what EVERYONE wants. Now they have a dilemma. Do they stick to the old base and keep the battery bigger so it fits neatly into the base. Then you'll have everyone whining the battery is too big for a lithium ion pack. Or should they just scrap the entire design and do away with the pods and introduce two completely separate product lines with different batteries...
                True, A123 cells have 3 times the voltage of the current cells so they only need one third as many....5 for the pack assuming they can get enough Ah out of each cell. 10 if you need to run them in parallel. This gives them the opporutunity to reduce the size of the packs.

They could redesigned how the batteries were installed, or used empty space to make a pack match the width of the base, but they took the opportunity to make a shorter pack to they could have future tools with smaller packs that might interfere less with the work area. Milwaukee does something similar by allowing the packs to be reversed but they chose to keep the size common.

Looks like we can expect a whole new set of tools to come out optimized for these smaller packs.

I've seen these decisions in other products as well. There comes a point, in most products, where keeping compatibility compromises future designs enough that designers decide to give it up.

Comment

The 18v Nicd pack form factor is too big for the lithium ion pack to be competitive. That huge pod is a serious limitation for making any truly compact tools. The impact driver is a perfect exmple. The battery is larger than the tool body itself! It would be a death sentence for the 18v lithium lineup if they didn't reduce the battery size. It's only a matter of time before the entire 18v group is redesigned to match the new smaller profile. The only practical solution would have been to make 2 seperate designs. Even then you'd have people complaining for having to deal with two non interchangable pods.
                  Last edited by Velosapien; 11-10-2007, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I also noticed a small detail it seems no one has pointed out. The new tools have the front and rear lip where the pod mounts removed as if to allow the longer nicd packs to fit. Looks you can also use your old batteries on the new tools.
                    Last edited by Velosapien; 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X