Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for everyone about dewalt 18v nano batteries?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for everyone about dewalt 18v nano batteries?

So these new 18v nano batteries are supposed be the same 2.4 ah rating as the nicads right? and from what I've heard one battery and a charger are going to sell for around $160. Wow!..what a rip off. Is anyone going to pay that for a battery that has the same 2.4 ah rating? Now if this new nano battery was 3.0 ah it might be a different story, but at 2.4ah I can't imagine buying them. I have a few Dewalt cordless tools, but most of them have been collecting dust since milwaukee v28 and makita lxt have taken over as my favorites. Am i missing something? because This 18v nano battery seems like to little, to late for dewalt...and to expensive.

Re: Question for everyone about dewalt 18v nano batteries?

Originally posted by tkasch1234 View Post
    So these new 18v nano batteries are supposed be the same 2.4 ah rating as the nicads right? and from what I've heard one battery and a charger are going to sell for around $160. Wow!..what a rip off. Is anyone going to pay that for a battery that has the same 2.4 ah rating? Now if this new nano battery was 3.0 ah it might be a different story, but at 2.4ah I can't imagine buying them. I have a few Dewalt cordless tools, but most of them have been collecting dust since milwaukee v28 and makita lxt have taken over as my favorites. Am i missing something? because This 18v nano battery seems like to little, to late for dewalt...and to expensive.
    If you need that extra .6AH, then it's a problem but the lithium has such advantages over the nicads that it might be worth it to a lot of people. Full power even as the battery gets closer to dead, no memory problems and holds a charge for a long time. Since you've moved on to different tools that you are happy with, I think you have a few choices. Upgrade to the newer nano batteries and have the use of those Dewalt tools or keep them as back ups. You might just sell them to someone who would appreciate a break on the cost compared to a new set and would still be ahead after buying the new charger and maybe two nano batteries.

Comment

What you are seeing is a decision probably driven from the capability of the A123 cells they use. The Ah rating is probably the highest available for a single or double cell. To go higher they would have to add another array of cells in parallel. This would make the packs bulkier and heavier.

It looks like the direction DeWalt is going is higher voltage for more run time. A 28v cell of the same Ah will have about 55% more power....therefore be capable of running 55% longer. Their 36v tools will run twice as long.

Perhaps down the road, DeWalt will see fit to offer extended runtime batteries for their 18v lineup.

Comment

Those are launch prices. Of course they will be that high at first because there is always someone who will pay it. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter. How much do you think LXT batteries cost at launch? Within the next few months those prices will quickly drop in line with the competition.

The AH rating of the new batteries is still unknown that I'm aware of. The 2.4ah number comes from a demo on dewalts site where they explain that given the same ah rating the batteries will last as long regardless of the chemistry. The were using an XRP battery for comparison hence the 2.4ah figure. I would guess they might have a higher rating.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 11-10-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

The 18v aren't listed yet. Link Interesting, the 36v are actually 2.4h and not 2.0 ah as most of the info out there pointed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            If you need that extra .6AH, then it's a problem but the lithium has such advantages over the nicads that it might be worth it to a lot of people.
            Another thing is small difference in ah rating does not necessarily translate into shorter runtime. The tool efficiency plays a huge role. For example at 2.4 ah with NiCD batteries my old 18v dewalt reciprocating saw ran longer than the LXT with 3.0ah batteries. The only problem is the NiCD batteries took about an extra 30-45 minutes to charge due to heat delay. That will no longer be a problem with lithium packs.

Comment

has anyone actually got to use these yet, if so lets hear some feed back. i have 2 dewalt 4 packs that i havent used for 2 years and i would be willing to bring them back out if these batteries have a good reveiw

Comment

I think the A123's spec for the 36V battery cells is 2.3AH, so maybe they are rounding it up. A while ago I was seeing specs of 2.2AH (I believe that's what it says on the UK site).

Either way, I'm making a good guess that the 18V Nano batteries will probably run noticeably longer than the XRPs. People put way too much stock in what the catalog numbers say. There's more to the story than those numbers.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                The 18v aren't listed yet. Link Interesting, the 36v are actually 2.4h and not 2.0 ah as most of the info out there pointed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                  I'm making a good guess that the 18V Nano batteries will probably run noticeably longer than the XRPs. People put way too much stock in what the catalog numbers say. There's more to the story than those numbers.
                  It will be interesting to see what people actually experience. In RC I've seen longer run times from lithium batteries with equivalent ratings as NiCads. This is mostly because the rating is done at a low draw condition. I don't have any first hand experience with A123 technology, however.

Comment

It will be very interesting to see when people start using them. I'm not even sure if they use the same cells as in the 36V packs or not. It's very possible that they may have had a slightly different cell developed.

Comment

Working...
                    X