Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R8541 Recip saw 18 volt compatable?

Hi all,
    I bought a used R8541 reciprocating saw and was told that it would accept 18 volt batteries even though it said it was a 24 volt tool. I've see the max select tools and thought that that was what I was buying, but after cheching the model number and the book on my saw, they don't match up and the mook only says 24 volts. Can someone shed some light on this, thanks.

Mike

Re: Ridgid R8541 Recip saw 18 volt compatable?

I have both the 24 volt and the "MaxSelect." From what I can tell, they are the same other than the label. The 24 volt tools perform identically to the MaxSelect with 24v and 18v batteries. Both have more power with the 24v batteries as you would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerossignol View Post
      Hi all,
      I bought a used R8541 reciprocating saw and was told that it would accept 18 volt batteries even though it said it was a 24 volt tool. I've see the max select tools and thought that that was what I was buying, but after cheching the model number and the book on my saw, they don't match up and the mook only says 24 volts. Can someone shed some light on this, thanks.

Mike
      Mike........I agree with Disaster that the saw is probably the same as the MaxSelect internally and will work fine on 18V or 24V. However strange things happen and are built. To be on the safe side I would scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on "My Ebox". In a couple of keystrokes you can go to the message box and send a note to "them" with your question. That way, you have no chance of hearing "your warrenty is denied because you used an unauthorized battery and burned the motor out." I hate it when that happens!

Comment

Thank you both for your input. I agree that it should work and without any harm to the tool. My logic is that with DC power, the motor will run on either voltage, but less voltage will mean less power, so less RPMs, which is what is stated on the MaxSelect and Disaster himself also stated. I know that with AC power there is a 10% voltage rule where things don't run right outside of + or - 10%, but I don't believe that is the case with DC since there is no wave and such. In my e-mail to Ridgid, they said that "the 18 volt battery would fit" but they don't recommend using any batteries but those listed in the book. Sort of a cover your tracks answer if you ask me. So I replied and asked what made these different from the maxselect series and they simply said that they don't share proprietary information with the public but that the max select were designed for dual voltages and these were 24 volt tools. So again, no clear cut info here. I mean they could be the exact same thing, but they wouldn't come out and tell you since they are two different tools with probably different prices and markets. As I said I bought it used pretty cheap so i think I am going to go ahead and use it, and if it dies, I'll get something else. Again thanks for all your help.
        Last edited by mikerossignol; 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

18 Volts at the input of a 24 Volt DC tool won't harm the tool. Where you'll run into problems is that batteries and chargers need to be properly matched to each other. To stay on the safe side try to be sure the tool and battery are matched to each other and that battery and charger match up. Regardless using a 24 Volt tool on an 18 Volt battery will not give near the design power of the tool. A reciprocating saw needs full battery power or it will really seem sluggish.

Comment

Well, I'm not really worried about the battery/battery charger issue as I have a 18 volt driver kit and an 18 volt hammer drill kit, each with 2 batteries and a charger. The understand that the power will not be there as with the 24 volt battery but I'll have to deal with it i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerossignol View Post
              "the 18 volt battery would fit" but they don't recommend using any batteries but those listed in the book. Sort of a cover your tracks answer if you ask me. So I replied and asked what made these different from the maxselect series and they simply said that they don't share proprietary information with the public but that the max select were designed for dual voltages and these were 24 volt tools. So again, no clear cut info here. I mean they could be the exact same thing, but they wouldn't come out and tell you since they are two different tools with probably different prices and markets. As I said I bought it used pretty cheap so i think I am going to go ahead and use it, and if it dies, I'll get something else. Again thanks for all your help.
              I didn't expect you would get a good answer from Ridgid.

DC motors are optimized at one voltage.

If you go above the allowed voltage nasty things start happening because you the impedance was designed for the motor seeing a maximum voltage. You will greatly shorten the life of the tool going over the prescribed voltage.

When you work below that voltage they are simply less efficient. The trigger on your variable speed drill or reciprocating saw just varies the amount of voltage that the motor sees. Therefore a 24 volt tool often runs at 18 volts...or less anyway.

Companies like Emerson design and sell motors optimized for many different voltages. They specify a voltage range and maximum voltage for each motor. Ridgid is using one of these "off the shelf" motors designed for 24 volts maximum, knowing that they will work, but be less efficient at 18 volts. I do not know if they are using the same motor for their 24 volt tools as they are for their MaxSelect, but I haven't seen any difference in performance.

In conclusion you aren't going to hurt a 24 volt Ridgid tool running it at 18 volts anymore than you are going to hurt a MaxSelect tool running it at 18 volts. Both will operate less efficiently than they do when powered by a 24 volt battery.

Comment

Disaster,
                Thank for finally giving me a good clear answer with some logic behind it. I know that going over the nameplate voltage would ruin the motor as you stated because of the impedence and added heat and voltage rating of the windings of the motor. I had never even thought about the variable speed trigger and that it was in fact varying the voltage to the motor sort of like a pot. in and electronics circuit. Thanks again to all of you for all the input and helpful advice on this one, thanks.

Mike

Comment

Another thought wuold be they are using 18V motors and a volvage regulator. Just a thought, Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scsmith View Post
                    Another thought wuold be they are using 18V motors and a volvage regulator. Just a thought, Scott
                    Yeah, that would be a way to do it, but they don't...probably because of the cost of a high current regulator.

Comment

I emailed Ridgid to ask about the dual voltage impact driver being compatible with my 18v lithium batteries and this is the response I received:

The dual voltage tools will accept the 18v lithium battery. However, the dual voltage tools are no longer in production.

As I said, this came directly from Ridgid so I am going to trust them on it.

Comment

Some tools use the same motors , etc. so the Ridgid explanation seems wrong,ut expected as we live in a society bound by legal community. Look at the 18v jig saw, planer for example the parts are the same, the speed specs are the same in 18v version and the 18v mode in the 24v. It runs aster in 24v. All the tools that can use a 24v batt run much better. The battery will not fit in 18v only tools even though they share the same internals as the 18/24v version on most models.

Comment

Working...
                        X