Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SKIL HD77 gets updated

"Assembled in china means made in china."

Maybe not entirely true. The individual parts could be made in Mexico or Taiwan or any other place with cheap labor, then shipped to China for assembly.

For instance I was looking at a nice Carhartt jacket this weekend and checked the label, it read something like this: "Assembled in Mexico from US and Mexican parts", but basically the jacket was made in Mexico. So I happened to check a bunch of the other Carhartt stuff on the racks...95% of it Made in China, the only items out of all the Carhartt products for sale were two, a knit watch cap with the Carhartt logo on it and a pair of gloves. Everything else made in China or Mexico or some other foreign country. I think the last time I bought Carhartt jeans I had a hard time finding Made in US ones, they had both on the shelf. Now they might be all foreign made.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Yes, you're right. But the point is it's no longer made in the States. AFAIK the old saw was labeled "Made in USA," which is far more stringent than the "Assembled in USA of domestic and foreign components" tags you see on some milwaukee tools. Rafter hook - no thanks. Give me a saw produced in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
        Have you ever tried that before? The Southfield store wouldn't pricematch the Pontiac store....though I didn't have a receipt they could have easily checked by calling.

By the way, the boxes I saw had original price tags of either $139 or $159. Looks like they were working their way down in price before this final markdown.
        A thread that I was reading on here earlier (a while back) about the Bosch PS40-2 where one store had them cheaper than all the others, the guy just sent his receipt to people and people were saying that they had taken those into the store and that they had been price matched.

EDIT: I just called one of the 3 Lowe's that I drive by on my way home from work, they had it on clearance for $118.50, that isn't $75....
        Last edited by automobiliben; 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by automobiliben View Post
          A thread that I was reading on here earlier (a while back) about the Bosch PS40-2 where one store had them cheaper than all the others, the guy just sent his receipt to people and people were saying that they had taken those into the store and that they had been price matched.

EDIT: I just called one of the 3 Lowe's that I drive by on my way home from work, they had it on clearance for $118.50, that isn't $75....
          PM me your email and I'll send you a scan. Only the top of the receipt will fit on my scanner but it's got the SKU, store code, phone number and price.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
            Don't forget, it's also no longer made in USA
            Hmm, both of the boxes of the NEW saw that I picked up today said assembled in the USA, but that the blade was made in China, Japan or Mexico.

I am not sure where you guys are reading that they aren't made in the USA (ok, at least assembled)...

Comment

Originally posted by automobiliben View Post
              I am not sure where you guys are reading that they aren't made in the USA (ok, at least assembled)...
              Woodnet forums
              The new models are not in my local stores yet.. i went to check today

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
                Woodnet forums
                The new models are not in my local stores yet.. i went to check today
                Yeah, both of the new ones that I picked up are still made here, I wonder for how long though...

I have a Bosch CS-20, I wonder where it was made. I would expect that the Bosch and Skil are made on the same line and probably all of their other CSs too...

Comment

Working...
                X