X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Higher AH 18 volt Lithium, Ridgid

Just got a reply from Ridgid. I asked if there was any plan to market a higher AH 18 volt lithium ion battery. I added that I felt it would be a good idea considering all the 18 volt Ridgid tools out there and the many lithium offerings from competition. The response was a simple "No plans at this time to add a higher AH 18 volt battery to their lithium line". I'm in no urgent need for such a upgrade at the present time, but if I was in the market for a new set of cordless tools Ridgid would not be my first choice. I'm disappointed because I won't get what I believe is a better battery for my tools. I would probably look into the 18 volt Dewalt nano if I was in the market. Two reasons, good selection of tools new and used, and of course the battery itself. Funny thing is that there was so much confusion and misinformation when the 18 volt compact lithium was introduced by Ridgid, that maybe this information I got is also wrong?

Re: No Higher AH 18 volt Lithium, Ridgid

Just a while ago...thought it was on this forum...we were told to expect one. It might depend on who you talk to at Ridgid.

Comment

Tough to know all the 'inside' issues at any point in time. Maybe the answer will change after review of the holiday sales picture ... maybe not.
      Putting all subjective issues aside, I trust that the decision makers are astute and rational ..... meaning that they are trying to maximize return on the total product line. The strong industry move to lighter, smaller tools, raises the notion that 'true' heavy-duty users will go to 24v L-I and the most others will meet their needs with 18v (1.5AHr) L-I.
      Look at Makita .... how many users are going to purchase larger, heavier batts for their 'compact(B&W)' drills and drivers? If they really need 3.0Ahr capacity won't they go with the 'pro' versions? Granted, at least the option is there for them!
      In Ridgid's case, when other 'power-hungry' tools are needed (Recip and Circ-Saws) many users will likely go for 24v since the incremental weight is not so critical vs maximum power.
      Certainly just my views ..... but I will give Ridgid the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume they will always adapt to market forces in time.
      Last edited by doubtingtom; 11-12-2007, 05:22 PM. Reason: clarify, spelling

Comment

I was told by my local HD that the new Li-Ion tool kits will be showing up in the store in about a week or two. Have no idea if its new tools, new batts with old tools, etc.

Comment

The problem is wether or not they are introducing new batteries they wouldn't tell you until there is an official announcement. Sometimes you can only make decisions on the information that is put out there from the manufacturer. If you want higher AH 18v batteries right now Ridgid is not the place to look for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            The problem is wether or not they are introducing new batteries they wouldn't tell you until there is an official announcement. Sometimes you can only make decisions on the information that is put out there from the manufacturer. If you want higher AH 18v batteries right now Ridgid is not the place to look for the time being.
            I'm just stubborn and figure if I keep bothering them, they may just make up a batch for me. All kidding aside when I think of all those 18 volt nicad tools Ridgid sold and we bought, it sure would be nice to have the option of the higher AH lithiums. You're probably right about them not saying anything until an official announcement. I was thinking the same thing when I read the message they sent me, then I thought what's the big deal I'm one guy what problem could it possibly cause? I would be a little disappointed if they did offer a big strong 18 volt lithium but only in a multi-set. There I'd go again buying tools I didn't need to get the batteries and charger!

Comment

I still don't think they know about their own 2.5 gallon aluminum twinstack compressor that I bought 2 weeks ago at HD - I was told by Ridgid when I called about something, that there wasn't one, when it was sitting in my house with me. (see my earlier thread for details on that one). I still don't see anything revised on the webpage about it.

It will be nice when Ridge Tools / HD / TTI all get the bugs worked out of their joint operation. Ridge Tools have such a great name/history to them, as their plumbing tools are the stuff of legends. A lot of us have bought into the Ridgid power tools, as we were hedging our bets that they would be of similar breeding. They are great (while not without small glitches, to be expected), and overall very pleasing. However, the problems arise when not all parties know what each other is doing relating to their joint venture.

Comment

Not to try and bury information but I happen to be reading this thread and can answer some of these:

Bigger Ah on the way, yes we generally wait until the release is closer and our people are following the rules by holding back, even here (we can only assume our competitors troll the forum, right?), but what the heck...

Yes, I need to get the small compressor on the site. My fault on that one.

Hope everyone is well and thanks for supporting RIDGID.

Comment

ProBrand, thanks again for your clarifications. Yourself and Josh both do a bang-up job at trying to keep us in the loop - very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                    Not to try and bury information but I happen to be reading this thread and can answer some of these:

Bigger Ah on the way, yes we generally wait until the release is closer and our people are following the rules by holding back, even here (we can only assume our competitors troll the forum, right?), but what the heck...

Yes, I need to get the small compressor on the site. My fault on that one.

Hope everyone is well and thanks for supporting RIDGID.
                    Thank you so much for sharing this great news. I can't imagine what the down side of your competitors knowing any of this would matter but you folks must have your reasons. I'm going to keep an eye out for those batteries and just hope they will fit my 18 volt nicad tools. It will be great having both the nicads and the newer stronger lithiums. I will be able to justify buying a couple max select tools now.

Comment

ProBrand..I appreciate your comments but I have questions for you:

How come E-bay offers more Ridgid battery tools and items than Home Depot?
                      Where do these folks get "new in box" never opened Ridgid tools..do they sit at the loading dock waiting for the truck to drop one? Or do they heist pallets while the folks go on coffee breaks????

My local home depot stores in Phoenix metro have NEVER had 18v 2.5ah batteries either single or dual packages on their shelves nor did they even indicate a special order!
                      On E-bay they are all over the place! The Home Depot prices too are exponentially higher than on E-bay...On E-bay for example a new 18vHC battery buy it now no bidding is almost half the price of the same thing at home Depot..They [HD] ask almost $80.00 for the same battery and E-bay has them at an average of $48.00. I just paid $96.00 for a sealed new package of TWO 18V 2.5AH batteries. Now how can that happen???? I expect whomever the seller is they made a profit? Where did they get the new sealed battery pack at? Does Ridgid have a secret place that sells stuff behind Home Depot's back?

Home Depot has never offered the 18v impact driver, re:2005 I ended up going to E-bay to find one way back then! today they finally offer the dual voltage impact driver.

Not until recently did Home Depot offer individual tools ..you only could buy the "kit"
                      Accessories for any Ridgid tool are no where to be found at Home Depot but yep! E-bay again!

Why oh why does Ridgid make their warranty registration such a convoluted process? Even the home Depot folks are clueless...

If Ridgid and Home Depot are as tight as advertised how come these two companies can't get on the same page????

Thanks....

Cactus Man

Comment

I have no idea how all of that stuff gets on eBay. Certainly no secret place of which to speak. I appreciate the comments on the service agreement process. Given the broad coverage, we need to make sure we can track and verify those that sign up their tools. We'll keep looking for ways to make it easier. You can get a good number of accessories from www.ridgidparts.com. We'll keep working to get more at retail. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Holiday season.
                        Last edited by ProBrand; 11-19-2007, 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                        X