X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new R4121 laser problems

I just purchased the new 12" CMS, and I'm in the process of getting it set up. I'm having a problem with the laser. It's dead on when the saw is in the up position, but as I lower the saw to make the cut the laser moves to the left. When I make the cut the laser is about an 1/8th off to the left of the cut.

Is it normal for the laser to move when the blade is lowered? I kind of expect the laser to stay in the same place as the blade is lowered.

Re: Brand new R4121 laser problems

I am no expert on saw lasers, but...

Since the laser is mounted to the side of the blade it must be angled to hit the spot at the blade intersection.

Now,...if you adjust it to be accurate with the saw in the up position,...and then you lower the blade, you will in effect be shortening the distance from the laser (which is not pointing straight down, but instead slightly offcenter to align with the blade) to the work surface.
    From a geometrical standpoint, this would definately cause the laser line to move left.

Think of a triangle formed by a vertical line (the blade)...then accross to the left to the laser then down at an angle back to the bottom of the blade.
    Now,..that triangle is locked. If you move the entire triangle down,....the point of intersection at the surface will move to the left.

So essentially,...align your laser to be accurate from the saws up position for lining up your cuts,...then as long as it is accurate you really do not need to use it on the way down.
    Last edited by Dr. Jim; 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rko133 View Post
      I just purchased the new 12" CMS, and I'm in the process of getting it set up. I'm having a problem with the laser. It's dead on when the saw is in the up position, but as I lower the saw to make the cut the laser moves to the left. When I make the cut the laser is about an 1/8th off to the left of the cut.

Is it normal for the laser to move when the blade is lowered? I kind of expect the laser to stay in the same place as the blade is lowered.
      There is no adjustment to the lazer, as Dr. Jim stated the lazer is pre set to be on line when the saw is up so you can see while lining your work up. When you move the blade down the lazer which is at a fixed angle must move to the left.

Comment

Have the same saw. I aligned the laser so it is good when the saw is all the way up, Unfortunateley this also changes when you change the thickness of wood you cut. I would suggest just using it as a quick reference and double check the blade before it hits the wood.

Comment

That's the nature of an arbor mounted laser. Personally I find them useless.

Comment

I agree Newman I have 12in slideand tossed the laser in the trash. I think Ridgid should develop a saw mounted adjustable laser that will retrofit on all of the Ridgid CMS.

My 2 cents worth.

Comment

Working...
            X