X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 12 inch slider issue

Hey guys an gals, My buddy has a 12 inch dewalt sliding chop saw. When cutting at a 45 or 90 the cuts seem to leave a slight concave in the middle of the cut? Any ideas why this would happen?

Re: Dewalt 12 inch slider issue

I've got that saw but never had that problem, try another blade maybe the one in there got distorted? At least take the blade off and place it on a true flat surface to check if it's bent.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I've got that saw but never had that problem, try another blade maybe the one in there got distorted? At least take the blade off and place it on a true flat surface to check if it's bent.
      Put brand new diablo on it , cut 4/4 jatoba. Still did it.
      We tried to do it pulling slider also, it was less but not perfect.

Comment

Was the work piece held in place by hand or did he use a hold down or clamp? It's possible that the piece moved ever so slightly as it was being sawed.

It's unlikely but it could be the problem lies with the blade. Personally, I prefer running a full kerf blade in the miter saw.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Okay, I played around with my 12" Dewalt slider trying to duplicate your problem. I set the bevel slightly off 0 degrees but it still cuts straight or flat with no concave. I seriously think if the old and new blades were true, something must happen when the arbor is tightened! If it is somehow pulling the center of the blade past flat the blade might distort. Take a straight edge and place it across the blade as it sits in the saw. Please let us know what progress you make.

Comment

the slides might be off as well if they got bumped around, something to check any ways.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Try it with a full kerf blade.

Comment

Could also be the main shaft bearing giving freeplay to the arbor shaft. This would cause the blade to *Wobble* slightly under pressure.

Comment

I think BadgerDave has the answer. Be sure that the work piece can't move. Clamp it to the table. Also do check for arbor play. Carefully grab the blade (Be sure saw is unplugged first) and see if there's any wobble using gentle force in all directions. Please report your findings.

Comment

Wobble from the arbor shaft makes good sense and I do hope we get an update as to what caused the problem.

Comment

I think it's a blade deflection issue. It also has a lot to do with technique - how you lower the blade into the stock, and how hard you push the blade through the stock has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Check your rails. They can slightly be deflected which would magnify in your work. This is why I don't like sliding miter saws.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Also, if you just "chop" the wood without using the rails and the cut is perfect, this would isolate the problems to the rails.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Also, if you just "chop" the wood without using the rails and the cut is perfect, this would isolate the problems to the rails.
                            I think he said he tried that earlier and it did the same thing? I have the stock blade on mine and it cuts straight as an arrow. I don't think he has had the problem before and he even put a brand new Diablo blade on. I hope he clues us in on whatever he finds. The age and amount of service the saw has seen might lean in the direction of play in the arbor or rails?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Okay, I played around with my 12" Dewalt slider trying to duplicate your problem. I set the bevel slightly off 0 degrees but it still cuts straight or flat with no concave. I seriously think if the old and new blades were true, something must happen when the arbor is tightened! If it is somehow pulling the center of the blade past flat the blade might distort. Take a straight edge and place it across the blade as it sits in the saw. Please let us know what progress you make.
                              Thanks, I will try that today.

PS Boards are not clamped.

Comment

Working...
                              X