X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Ridgid 18V R840011 drill any good at $99

My local Home Depot is currently selling these at $99 to clear them out. My 3 year old DeWalt is acting up and I figured at $99 it was cheaper to pick this one up over getting the DeWalt fixed. Anybody got any thoughts on this one? Or should I wait and get the Li-Ion drill for almost double the price? It will mostly be used for home/home repair use.
    Last edited by 1hawaii50; 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM.

Re: Is the Ridgid 18V R840011 drill any good at $99

One question you should ask yourself is whether or not the longer run time you'll get with the Li-Ion drill is worth the price you'll have to pay for that drill. If the $99 R840011 comes with two batteries then IMO for home/home repair usage the R840011 is the better buy.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Seems to be essentially the same 'basic' tool as their 14.4v and 18v Hammer Drill. I have used one and know a part time builder who bought one and it seems to be solid .... given the 1.4 Ahr. batts. If you can live with that amount of operating time then it's as excellent buy ... especially with the LSA on the batts. I opted for the 14.4v only so I could use the same batts on my Ridgid Impact Driver. I really like the 14.4v Drill/Driver and the 18v gives you a bit more power.

Comment

How much less is the run time? With my current DeWalt, any time I put any kind of load on it (on a fresh battery), the battery seems to drain within just a few minutes (one of the reasons I'm looking to replace it).

Comment

That's the same drill I bought on sale at HD this summer for the same price.
          Best drill that I've ever had.
          Keeping in mind that i"m not a contractor so I can't vouch for everyday heavy duty jobsite use...

But for a home drill......It's waaaay more then enough..
          and for $99 bucks.....I don't think you can get a better drill...

just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by sledlen View Post
            That's the same drill I bought on sale at HD this summer for the same price.
            Best drill that I've ever had.
            Keeping in mind that i"m not a contractor so I can't vouch for everyday heavy duty jobsite use...

But for a home drill......It's waaaay more then enough..
            and for $99 bucks.....I don't think you can get a better drill...

just my $0.02
            Thanks, I'm going to head up to HD as soon as my wife gets home and pick one up, I figured the same thing...for $99 with a lifetime warranty, how can you go wrong?

Comment

OK, they had 1 18V @ $99, and 1 14.4V X-2 @ $129. I picked up both as they were the last ones they had in stock. The 14.4V has the better batteries, and actually has more power. So now the question is:
              WHICH ONE DO I KEEP?

Is either one any better than the other? I'm leaning towards the 14.4 because of the better batteries, and slightly higher torque specs. Any thoughts?

Comment

Keep the 18v! The batteries work on all the max select tools as well so you can expand your cordless arsenal. I own the 18v drill paid $99 for it as well and i put it through its paces everyday. With a 20 minute charge time you never run out of fresh batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by NailBanger View Post
                  Keep the 18v! The batteries work on all the max select tools as well so you can expand your cordless arsenal. I own the 18v drill paid $99 for it as well and i put it through its paces everyday. With a 20 minute charge time you never run out of fresh batteries.
                  Is ther such a thing as too many tools?
                  or you can always Ebay what you don't want.

Comment

The R84001 that I have is not a hammer drill. It is an 18v 3/8 vsr drill. I have been using it for over 3 years now with only one problem and that was a battery that Ridgid replaced for free last year. Best drill I have ever had I use it almost every day.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Can I use the better X2 18v batteries with the 18v drill, or even better, can I use the Li-Ion 18v batteries with this drill (if I can ever find them)?

As far as never having too many tools, I'm with ya on that one, but my wife feels differently ! I gotta at least make an attempt to keep her happy, so I'll only keep one of the new drills

Comment

Working...
                      X