What to do...what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do...what to do?

Okay... I have decided to get serious about cordless and ditch my old B&D set that the batteries and chargers have died yet again. I am looking for advise on what to buy... I have my eye on three different combos...

1) Ridgid 8pc for $499
    2) Dewalt 6pc for $629 with a mail in rebate for a free additional tool.
    3) Ridgid 5pc for $399 (only because the charger is so sweet)

I do want to get the jigsaw in either kit. I have used the DeWalt jigsaw and it is nothing short of awesome. I could care less about the caulk gun in the Ridgid but I think the warranty is something to take into consideration with thinking of replacing batteries. My father-in-law has had dewalt batteries rebuilt several times...

Last, I have a local 10% off coupon that will help. If there are any other deals that are even sweeter, I would greatly appreciate your input...

Thanks!

Re: What to do...what to do?

18v batteries are great for impact drivers, drills, lights, etc...but, any kind of saws or grinders don't work nearly as good or as long with only 18v. 24 or 28v work really good for all tools. Just keep that in mind when your buying. If you are buying mostly for the use of the drill, then 18v is probably fine. If you really want powerful, long lasting saws or heavy duty drilling you might want to go with a higher 24 or 28v. If you definitely want 18v you should consider some lithium ion sets. They are much better then nicad. I have 28v milwaukee and all the tools work great with 28 volts. I also have 18v makita lxt and the impact driver and drill work great and are really light weight and easy to use, but the saws and grinders dont have the power or the battery life. In my opion best 18v is milwaukee v18 lithium ion, makita lxt is good too. 24v Ridgid I don't have, but it looks good and 28v milwaukee I love...my favorite by far. There are pretty good deals on lithium 18v right now.

Comment

I have a bunch Dewalt 18V tools, ZERO complaints. Very Durable, the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Click here to see why I will probably stick with them ---> http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13607

I don't know of any other cordless tool manufacturer who makes a Self Leveling Rotary Laser Level. The neat thing about this Laser Level is that it will run off of any Dewalt battery (9.6, 12, 14.4, 18).

Sorry Ridgid.

Tracy

Comment

You don't identify voltages of the sets. 18V? I would wait for the specials that will inevitably be coming during the x-mas season or immediately there after. Last year I bought the Ridgid 24V set right after x-mas that included the hammer drill, recip saw, circ saw, light, 2 batts, charger and extra MaxSect tool for $317.00.
        Hell of a deal......

Comment

You've gotten some sound advice regarding the quality and strenght of the V28 and Dewalt cordless. I have the Ridgid five piece set and every tool is great, no problems so far. Since you bought the 24volt set you know the feel and performance of the Ridgid tools. We've been told a longer AH 18 volt lithium is on the way soon, which makes me wonder if you can just hold off a bit longer? Within the next month or so the offerings will be greater and you can probably save money and get a wider selection. Do you need the extra power and run time beyond 18volt? I've cut 1/2" threaded rods and 1/8" angle iron with the reciprocating saw with ease, the circular saw also works fine but as someone already mentioned I doubt these tools could keep up with the V28 or Dewalt 36volt. As a homeowner if I was going to purchase another ,18volt in any brand with lithium of 2.4AH or higher would work. Selection of additional tools and price are up to you. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advise so far. I feel that the 18 volt would be more than sufficient. I am sorry that I failed to mention that all the sets I was looking at were 18v. I will just be using it around the house. It is not like this set would be used commercially, but I tend to work my tools pretty hard.

Comment

I agree with the recommendation to keep an eye out for upcoming deals. There most likely will be some leading up to Xmas. Black Friday (the friday after Thanksgiving) is the kickoff of the holiday shopping season and when most of the deals start popping up.

You might also want to consider the Milwaukee V18 set.

Comment

Working...
              X