X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R3000 reciprocating saw

Hi - does anyone have any feedback on the R3000 recip saw (9 amp)? I searched google and found the Canadian home depot site (reviewing the R3001 even tho it says 9 amp) where people complained that the blades were not held by the tool correctly and would come loose/fly out at random times. Not sure if this issue has been addressed or not.

The saw is going to be for $59 at home depot on Friday so I was thinking of picking one up as I have been happy with my Ridgid chop saw, but i don't want to waste my time if i'm going to return it when the blade flies out.

link to reviews with blade coming loose:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Thanks.

Re: Ridgid R3000 reciprocating saw

it is a promlem still, i have heard some people have a velcro starp that they put over the quick release lever and that has worked for them.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I've had mine for about three years and haven't had a problem with it. While I don't use this tool alot, when it has been used, it's been used hard. In addition to tearing out things in the old house that I'm renovating, I've also used it to prune some trees and with the right blade I've cut through six and eight inch branches, including an old apple tree which is as hard as a rock.

I've read of the blade release problem, but I can't say that I've seen a ton of bad reports. A similar latch is used on the Ryobi model and there have been a few reports there too. But, in consideration of the hundreds or thousands of these that must be out there, I'd say a few reports aren't too alarming. The tool (if purchased from HD) would have a 90-day satisfaction return, 3-year warranty, and if you register it, a lifetime service agreement.

The saw performs wells for me and with all things considered, $59 wouldn't be a bad investment, IMHO.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have the Ryobi 18V cordless recip saw, and haven't had a problem with the blade popping out and it works great (but I don't like having only a cordless version of a tool, its a bummer when the batteries run out of juice).

For $59 I think i'll pick one up and I can use velcro if I need to.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
          it is a promlem still, i have heard some people have a velcro starp that they put over the quick release lever and that has worked for them.
          Hmmmm.....never had a problem with the blade retention on the cordless version, however the adjustable height blade guard does rattle loose. The lever is just retained by the friction of it flexing over the body. The first time I noticed it was when it popped off and the retaining pin fell out. I was lucky to find it among the debri outside where I was cutting. I now wrap a velcro strap around the body to hold it in place.

Comment

yeah i have only read about the problem 4-5 times here in something like 3years of being here.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I bought one today at HD for $59.

Having never owned a reciprocating saw, it seems very strange that when the blade is inserted, it is loose and flops around. However, a test cut on an aluminum pipe worked ok...

Is it normal for the blade to be so loose??

Comment

I picked it up today too. Yes, the blade feels a lot looser than the one on my Ryobi cordless. I haven't test cut anything with the new one though.

edit: ok, i just cut some steel plate with it and then with my ryobi. it's definitely a much rougher ride with the ridgid tool. When starting the cut, the blade flops all over the place (holding it firm against the work solves this) but when cutting the blade had a tendency to dance to one side or the other, making the whole thing shake. The Ryobi makes a nice straight smooth cut on the same material.

i'm afraid this thing is going back. I can't imagine why they made them so loose...
                Last edited by ucdcrush; 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Crush,
                  I've seen the Makita recip. saw and grinder combo in the Tracy and Manteca HD for $129. I passed it up when they were $179 so I picked one up. Man that is a great saw, very low vibration and top notch build quality, especially for that price. It's not a black Friday deal either, just leftovers on clearance. It comes w/ a nice steel case that both tools will fit in. Check your area they may have some left.

Ern

Comment

Hi Erngum. When I was at HD retrurning the saw this morning, I saw the deal you're talking about, looks like a real sweet setup. They had 2 of them sitting there. If I didn't already have a nice angle grinder I would have definitely picked it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X