X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Drill Press & Laser

Does anyone know if there is an after market laser set up that will work on the Ridgid 15" drill press? Was going to get one for Christmas but decided not once I realized it did not have a laser guide on it. Thanks much. And Happy Turkey Day To All. Murray
    Goldenwing

Re: Ridgid Drill Press & Laser

You have options:

You can buy the drill press laser assembly from Delta. look it up in their parts lists or go to one of their drill presses that have the laser and order the necessary parts..It will run about $50.00

or

Steel City via www.woodworker.com part# 025-415 $55.99 page 34 of their latest catalog

I purchased a delta laser for my Delta [older] bench top drill press. I also eliminated the battery and used a wall wart for power. Once it is aligned properly it does work well.

Either style will work just fine.

Cactus Man

Comment

I don't understand how this can remain accurate at varying heights?

Comment

thanks cactusman....will look into the options.....I have a 9 inch ryobi desktop drill press with laser and that baby is dead on everytime....especially if you line it up and then approach the "x" very slowly to ensure it stays aligned...but it looks as though by the time I add the after market laser, I have paid as much then for the total unit as I would have if I had just gone out and bought the craftsman for $50 more than the price of the ridgid and not have all the wait time for the parts and the work to install it.....so I guess I do have another option...Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

I think you may want to consider a magnetic base work light that you can stick to the drill press head. They light up a bigger work area and you can move it from machine to machine as needed. Please see pictures below.
          Attached Files

Comment

Lisa, looking for a laser light that gives the driller the exact spot where the bit will drill.....comes in very handy when drilling hundreds of holes on large projects that require bits ranging from #60 to #70.....but thanks much for the thought anyway......Murray
            Goldenwing

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenwing View Post
              Lisa, looking for a laser light that gives the driller the exact spot where the bit will drill.....comes in very handy when drilling hundreds of holes on large projects that require bits ranging from #60 to #70.....but thanks much for the thought anyway......Murray
              If you're drilling lots of tiny holes you'll want a more precision drill press than the Ridgid one. You'll also need a chuck made for holding small size shanks. Most likely you'll want one that features a socket spindle so you can use arbors (Morse taper (spindle) to Jacobs taper (chuck) and thus be able to switch chucks depending on the size bit you need to use. You may want a more Production style table as well. The problem is that of the $$$ factor.

Is most of your work rather small size pieces and where you will never need to drill holes larger than say 3/16" in size? 1/4" maybe?

Comment

Actually, I am very happy with the Ryobi 9" drill press I have, except for the fact the throat depth will not always accomodate some of my larger pieces, thus the reason for seaerching for at least a 15" drillpress. Why is the Ridgid not very precise? I have already purchased 1/2 dozen mini arbors and have a different sized bit for each one so that is no problem. Not sure any kind of production table will be that beneficial to me as THe projects have to be moved around in random to reach the holes to be drilled. No pattern to follow either vertically or horizontally to follow on the project.

Actually the work comes in large pieces, mostly in 11" x 14", but sometimes as much as 16" square, which is why I need a larger drill press. I would say that I have never used a 1/4" bit, but rather 95% of the sizes I use are less than 1/16".....I usually drill at a minimum of 200 holes per day, sometimes many more. Murray
                Goldenwing

Comment

Working...
                X