X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Framing Nailer won't drive a 3-1/8" all the way in

I bought a new R350RHA framing nailer a few months ago and just recently got a chance to use it. I am having trouble getting the 3-1/8" nails to drive all the way in (particularly when I toe nail). I am nailing standard 2x4 pine studs.

I am using the twin steel tank Ridgid compressor and I have set the pressure to 120 psi. The rubber air hose is 3/8" 50' long. I am using a plastic 1/4" coil hose at the end (to give me more flexibility). I have set the adjustment on the nailer for deepest penetration and I removed the rubber no-mar pad on the end of the nailer. Even with all this, the nail still protudes about 1/2 inch when I toenail. When nailing a flat 2x4 to another (to make a TEE) it seems to work OK.

I have read thru the owner's manual, and the only thing I can find that I might be doing wrong is the 1/4" plastic coil hose at the end of the 3/8" rubber hose.

Any opinions?

Re: New Framing Nailer won't drive a 3-1/8" all the way in

Take the 1/4" hose off the end of the 3/8 and try it...
    If it works without the 1/4, that is your problem...

Comment

The hose should only be a problem when your rapid nailing to where the hose cannot keep the cylinder full and ready for the next nail.Sounds more like a head setting situation.

Comment

Yep, i agree with the head setting suggestion. Some framing nailers are tougher to toenail with than others. It's just a matter of getting used to the head on the gun,IMO. Try positioning the gun at different angles while toenailing. Hope this helps.

Comment

Are you trying to toenail with commons or sinkers,commons are thicker.Are you using vinyl coated.It should not make a difference,but then again,I am not familiar with your gun.

Comment

As the others have said, it is probably in the angle of the head. If the safety is depressed, to allow the gun to fire, and the actual nose of the gun isn't close enough to the wood, that's all you can get. This is also a bit of a safety issue. If the angle is too close to parallel with the board you are toe-nailing, you can potentially get a deflection. It is not as likely with these big nails as it is with smaller gauge finish or brad nails, but more serious if it should happen.

Comment

Thnaks for the ideas. I just tried removing the 1/4" hose section, and it didn't make any difference.

I will try different angles, but I am skeptical - when I tried it just a few hours ago (after I removed the 1/4" hose) the head was still a good 1/2" from going in. I drove 3 or 4 nails and they all were about the same penetration. That's with the depth adjustment set all the way down and the air compressor at 120 psi.

Like I said before I had bought the nailer back in June and am just now getting a chance to use it. It's supposed to be able to drive a 3-1/2" nail and I was using 3-1/8" nails. I bet, even on a tee type joint, that it won't drive a 3-1/2"er. Reckon it might be a defective one?

Comment

Here's a thought: Are you keeping the gun tight to the work after you fire the nail? If by chance the gun is being allowed to be pushed from the wood after you fire the nail, it won't drive it all the way.

While you're nailing try keeping your other hand hard on the back of the gun with pressure and see if it drives it any further in.

Comment

Maybe you've set the depth adjustment opposite to what it should be...
                  Turn all the way to the left with airline detached.

I/2" protrusion sounds like a lot.

Your compressor should charge to about 150 psi then cut out and you say you've got the outlet valve set at 120 psi... Manual says operating pressure is 70 -> 120 psi but not to go above...

Manual says start out at about 90 -95 psi on flat board with no depth adjustment set. Raise or lower pressure from that point till you get desired depth. What happens when you do this?

Make sure the compressor tank is drained.

Try putting a few drops of pneumatic oil in the gun, maybe sitting for a while has dried out the o-rings and it's losing pressure there

You have to really jam down on the safety mechanism and hold when toe nailing.

Just a few suggestions from a guy that uses nail guns all the time
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                  X