X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 18v 8 Piece Kit @ Hd In Ad

Ultimate tool kit? Yea right. So I go and buy this ad piece which I think is a great deal. $499 for 8 pieces how could I go wrong. So I get home with it open the box and disapointment sets in. First and formost everything in the box is old products, impact gun with no led, old 18v hammer drill, old 2 ah batteries, old 9.6 v drill \ angle (worthless) driver w/only 1 battery. COME ON RIDGID!!! What are you doing? The day you decided to create this kit did you wake up and eat a BIG bowl of stupid o’s? I think they could have really made this a great kit had they changed a few things. New impact gun with led light. New (3) 2.5 ah batteries. Dual port charger. (2) 9.6 v batteries. I am undecided on whether I am going to be keeping this. Did any one else purchase this kit? What do you think?

Re: Ultimate 18v 8 Piece Kit @ Hd In Ad

5 clams for a new 18 volt kit looks good at first but IMO you should have looked harder at what you are getting before purchasing.

How did a 9.6 volt drill end up in a 18 volt kit anyways?

Comment

I don't think it's a good deal at all. My five piece kit came with the dual port charger, two 2.5AH nicads, hammerdrill, impact, sawsall, circular saw and worklight. Seems like they are clearing out the old stuff. I was at H/D today and I didn't see any bargains. My advice is to wait a bit longer. Ridgid has got to offer the new longer AH 18 volt lithiums in a kit, and you would do better to buy the individual tools you want off E-bay. Then just add the batteries and charger you want.

Comment

I have owned for about two years now a four piece Ridgid set that came with a hammer drill, receip saw, circular saw, flash light, (2) 2.5 ah batteries, and the dual port charger. My intentions on getting this (what i thought was a bargin) was to add two more batteries to my set, a jig saw, chaulk gun, and impact gun. I had planned on selling the rest of it on ebay. But I am a little upset that the impact gun doesn't have the light on it and the batteries inferior to what I already have.

I'm not to sure about purchasing my own tools on ebay for the mere fact I can't have the lifetime service agreement. I think that is a pretty big value.

Has anyone compared the 2 ah battery to the 2.5 ah battery? What did you find?

Comment

What model kit was this? I got the 5 pc (R9223) kit, with 18V impact driver (no LED light though), 3 batteries, and worklight/circ saw/drill/recip saw when it was on clearance. Paid 269 for it, and I still see some in stores. The shelf price is listed as full price but the SKU rings up as the 269 price.

Maybe return yours and look for that kit?

AFAIK, the kit with the 9.6V driver was an older kit which should have also been on clearance, for less than the 5 piece kit actually. I used to know the SKUs by heart but once I finally found one I forgot the numbers.

I also havent been able to determine which batteries mine came with.....the batteries dont say 2.5AH, but on My Ebox it tells me that 2 of the batteries I registered are "high output NiCD 2.5". I can tell you that I put together a Costco monster swingset with the impact driver alone, and it took about 4 or 5 charges to do so. There is a TON of bolts in it, and I used the driver on every one.....4 or 5 charges didnt seem like much at all to me.

-Chris

Comment

I'll have to take a look for that kit and see if they have it or not. Other than the led on the front of the unit is there any difference in power between the two impact guns?

Comment

I'd be mad too if I bought a plain cardboard box at HD that simply said "Ridgid 8 piece deal-$499" and then I got the tools home just to discover that the tools were old. I think Ridgid has gone down the tubes when it doesn't even let the consumer know what they're buying. Shame on Ridgid for taking advantage of an "informed" customer.

This is sarcasm by the way.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I bought the new 8pc kit about a month ago when they first came out. I ask for a discount and they sold it to me for $449. Personaly, I cant tell a difference between the 2.5 batt and the 1.9HC. The set doesnt have the twin charger but it does have a charger that will work with both ni-cad and Li-ion. The cir saw and caulk gun are both max select (18v, 24v). The first day I used the kit I used the circ saw, jig saw, recp saw and two drills (I have another drill from another kit). I used them for a full day with two batts and only charged them three times.
                The job was to rip out a 16' wall and put in a new header and arch, replace a window in another wall, drywall, move electrical, etc.

The tools worked great and paid for themselves that first day. Im happy with my kit.

Comment

Have you compared the two batteries?

Where does it say that the charger works w/li-ion? If it does wouldn't my twin port do the same then?

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
                    Have you compared the two batteries?

Where does it say that the charger works w/li-ion? If it does wouldn't my twin port do the same then?
                    I have the twin charger from one purchase and I have the 18V LI batteries from the compact 18V LI drill. The twin port charger DOES NOT list the 18V LI batteries as any that can be charged on it. Strangely the charger that came with the Compact 18V LI drill lists virtually every battery included with every tool Ridgid builds with the exception of the 24V LI. Go figure!
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 11-26-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

you should have looked at the picture i could tell by the picture if it was the old impact or the new batteries and it said that ther was only one battery with teh 9.6 drill

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
                        Ultimate tool kit? Yea right. So I go and buy this ad piece which I think is a great deal. $499 for 8 pieces how could I go wrong. So I get home with it open the box and disapointment sets in. First and formost everything in the box is old products, impact gun with no led, old 18v hammer drill, old 2 ah batteries, old 9.6 v drill \ angle (worthless) driver w/only 1 battery. COME ON RIDGID!!! What are you doing? The day you decided to create this kit did you wake up and eat a BIG bowl of stupid o’s? I think they could have really made this a great kit had they changed a few things. New impact gun with led light. New (3) 2.5 ah batteries. Dual port charger. (2) 9.6 v batteries. I am undecided on whether I am going to be keeping this. Did any one else purchase this kit? What do you think?
                        Oy vay. Here's an idea - look at the box first. If you look at the box, it shows and lists all of the makes and models of the tools that are included, and the types and numbers of batteries also included. Yes, they are mostly older models, and yes, it does appear that Ridgid is clumping these all together in one giant all-included set, to try to get rid of older stock. However, that's smart business sense on Ridgid's part if it works for them. Yes, those changes could have made for a better kit, but don't act like you bought one thing, and received another - buyer beware, man. Read the package and know what you are buying.

And, if you want to know what the differences are between the different impact drivers, just go to the products section on Ridgid's webpage, and look up the specs under "battery powered tools".

Comment

True, its good business sense for Ridgid.

On the other hand, putting a bunch of old (some even discontinued) products into a box with far too few batteries and charger ports, slapping a new name on it and selling it for a somewhat high price DOES NOT help bring customers to the brand.

I got my 18V 5 piece kit for 269 while it was on clearance. True, Im "3 tools short" of the ultimate kit.....yet, I got a dual port charger and 3 18V batteries. For 230.00 less (and honestly of the other 3 missing tools, Id really only miss the jigsaw).

I saw the Ultimate kit myself at the contractor desk....it has nice big sale tags on it like it was some huge price before, and now its down to 499. Id never even seen the kit before, is 499 a regular price? If not, what WAS the old price?

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X