Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my MSUV!!

Woot!

Just finished putting it together, but I have a problem.

One of the tightening knobs for the extensions is broken. The handle is broken right off the knob. I found it in the box.

Hopefully the people at HD nearby will swap it out for me. If not, I guess I'll be in touch with Ridgid's service dept.

Re: Got my MSUV!!

WW

If that doesn't work, maybe prowl good hardware stores. You might find a good steel rather than plastic replacement and end up better than new. HD should help as it is brand new.

Comment

I had the same problem

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is steel, but looking at where it broke off it looks like cheap pressed steel or something.

Not really a big deal so long as they swap it out for me. You're right though... if I can get something better with the same thread, at the end of the day it's really just a fancy bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
          I'm pretty sure it is steel, but looking at where it broke off it looks like cheap pressed steel or something.

Not really a big deal so long as they swap it out for me. You're right though... if I can get something better with the same thread, at the end of the day it's really just a fancy bolt.
          Don't be surprised if they're(HDs) only option is to repalce the entire MSUV. Sometimes HDs policy's don't make sense and can be maddening.
          I had defective batteries in a large tool set and only wanted to excange the batteries. Nope....The only way they could do it was to exchange the entire set.

Comment

If it comes down to that, I'll just JB-Weld the damn thing back together or something.

Or just call Ridgid directly. Last time I had to deal with HD to get service on a brand new Ridgid Vac, I ended up completely fed up with them and just returned it in the end. The HD near me has lousy as hell service.

Incidentally... I also did some damage to one of the support legs for one of the extensions, but that one was my fault. I can't help but think it should be a little stronger... but live and learn. I think I can fix it.

I put it down and didn't realize there was a little metal button to push in to raise it back up. So I swung the leg about 30 degrees before realizing something was wrong. Kinda bent the plastic out of shape now so when you extend the leg, you can't push the button in anymore to put it back up.

For now I've just removed the button but I think I can sink a metal washer into the plastic where it's been sheared off and it'll be good as new.
            Last edited by Wild Weasel; 11-27-2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Just a heads up if HD can't replace the broken knob for you without swapping out the entire MSUV.

Was doing a bunch of framing with my 17 year old son this Holiday weekend using the previous version MSUV which I've had for a year + now. Anyways we were each adjusting the slides in & out that support the rollers & my 17 year old way over tightened his end & broke the knob (some type of light weight metal alloy not speced for a 17 year old to torque the snot out of it).

Just this morning called Ridgid parts from the number listed at www.ridgidparts.com for Woodworking Power Tool parts...1-866-539-1710.

After after confirming the unit (AC9440), serial #, my name & address the Ridgid rep is sending me a replacement knob at no cost.

Shipping via Fed Ex or DHL ground & should be here in approx 5 days.

Comment

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

And hey... there's an older and newer model? When did they change? I wonder which one I've got...

Comment

What is the going rate for these used? I always wanted one but couldn't justify buying a brand new one. But I saw one today on craigslist for $60 but it has a broken handle similar to what happened to bigscore. It is the older model. Is this a deal? I am tempted.

Comment

MSC industrial supply
                    http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm??KNC-T7L391316886
                    the url should be a search for knobs, they only carry about 300 machine type knobs.
                    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000036969983
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      MSC industrial supply
                      http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm??KNC-T7L391316886
                      the url should be a search for knobs, they only carry about 300 machine type knobs.
                      http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000036969983
                      Cool...

We can rebuild him! Stronger! Faster! Better!

Comment

If those links don't work for you try their home page at www.mscdirect.com and near the top do a quick search of 77415594 which will get you to the general area. Once at that item then click the 4 digit page number which in this case is 1238. That will show you the page from their catalog. Next look and you should see both left and right arrows and some page numbers. Work your way around their online monster catalog page by page. I bet you'll find something you can use. Once you find it, note the 8 digit catalog number(s) and give them a call at (800) 645-7270. As a new customer they will need to set up a simple account for you with an ID number. You can setup an open NET 30 days account with references or most of us just pay with a Mastercard or Visa credit card. I'm not sure with your being in Canada how it works, but they are huge and I'm sure have many customers in your area. Good luck with this. You would do well to ask that they send you their printed big book catalog. That will really make you go wild for a few days.

Special note: Be sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader and also Flash installed on your computer. If you don't things on their site may not work very well for you. Both are FREE downloads at www.adobe.com and they may want some info so just follow as their site directs you. I'm sure you'll be fine.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Just to update my previous post, the knob from Ridgid Parts arrived today via DHL.

Good job Ridgid.

Comment

Went to HD last night and they swapped it out, no problem at all.

Always nice when you find good people to deal with!

Comment

W W

That's good news and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X