New 24v H-D -- HEAVY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 24v H-D -- HEAVY

Just got my new 24v hammer-drill though eBay, and man is it heavy! I had no idea.

I am a little guy, and I'm not sure I can use this on the job all day. I'd looked at it at HD, but didn't notice the weight as no battery.

I should have paid closer attention to the weights of Ridgid, Bosch, Milwaukee, and (ech) DeWalt.

Re: New 24v H-D -- HEAVY

That was my first thought when I picked mine up but it's well balanced so the extra weight over the 18 volt Dewalt I had wasn't that noticable. To me weight says quality. If it were lighter I would suspect cheaper plastic parts inside. I don't know if that's true or not but just my opinion. Any 24 volt drill will be heavy if working over your head all day.

Comment

I think if you compare the weight of the Ridgid 24V hammer drill with the "heavy duty" hammer drills of the 36V Bosche, 28V Milwaukee, and 36V DeWalt you will find a close comparison.
      Everyone including Ridgid is building light weight 18V LI drills for working all day with. I have the Ridgid Compact 18V LI drill and use it every day in our contracting work. It weighs slightly more than 4 pounds compared with the 7 plus pounds my 24V hammer drill weighs. The hammer drill is well balanced and suprisingly usable for its weight. It is what you want when blasting a hole with a 1 1/2" Forstner bit or driving 4" deck screws however not for much overhead work. I don't know if you are in a trade where you need a drill all day. If you are this may be to heavy. Hopefully you can return it to the Ebay seller you bought it from.

Comment

So it's comparable in weight with the other brands' higher voltage tools. And I agree, heavy indicates quality. I'd have thought that LiIon batteries would be alot lighter though...

Also interesting that the 18V is almost half the weight! Gee. I'm sure the battery doesn't last as long, but I could charge at lunch.

I'm an ICF contractor (insulated concrete forms), and would mainly use it for driving screws into two 2-by's (forms) and plastic.

eBay seller won't take them back, and I have a recip saw and charger on the way too. The saw is the R854, which I think is dual-voltage, so I will keep that.

I wonder if I should I put the drill, batteries and charger back up for sale while they still look new, and get the 18v?
        Last edited by Quantum; 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
          Just got my new 24v hammer-drill though eBay, and man is it heavy! I had no idea.

I am a little guy, and I'm not sure I can use this on the job all day. I'd looked at it at HD, but didn't notice the weight as no battery.

I should have paid closer attention to the weights of Ridgid, Bosch, Milwaukee, and (ech) DeWalt.
          Did you really need the extra power and run time of the 24 volt? I have the 18volt hammerdrill and it's not that bad. Did you get an impact driver? The impact is lighter and more compact. If you are using the tool throughout the day you will have to switch batteries, but the 18volt is pretty capable.

Comment

I mainly went for the 24v because it is newer and I thought it would have more advanced batteries. Didn't even think about the weight.

Not sure if it's the impact driver, but it's the R851150.

Edit: No wonder I didn't think of the weight issue... NONE of the weights are on any of the powertools on Ridgid's website! WTF?
            Last edited by Quantum; 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I mainly went for the 24v because it is newer and I thought it would have more advanced batteries. Didn't even think about the weight.

Not sure if it's the impact driver, but it's the R851150.
              1-The batteries are advanced. They are actually lighter than the 18V NiCads.
              2-You have the hammerdrill which is made for drilling in concrete as well as wood. The Impact drive Frank refered to is actually an impact tool which is a lightweight rattle gun with a 1/4" hex drive and great for driving screws. Ridgid makes a MaxSelect model which will run on your 24 volt batteries or 18s and only weighs around 3.5lbs. It's $119 at HD or probably $50 on ebay.
              3-The lightweight 18V drill I'm refering to is the new Ridgid Compact 18V LI (Lithium Ion) drill($170 at HD with charger and 2 batts) not the old 18V NiCad drill. I have no experiance with that drill.
              4-You probably wouldn't need the 24V stuff unless you are going to use the recip saw and are considering a circ saw. They require a lot of power and are much better with the 24s.
              You might want to go to the top of this page and click on products and get up to date on the specs for the various power tools.
              Good luck..Ray
              Good luck....Ray

Comment

Got my eBay recip-saw in the mail today, and man is it pretty. But no owner's manual.

What's with the blades? Are the blades for Ridgid, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc, all compatible with one another? Any gotchas?

In the specs it says, "Tool free shoe adjustment – allows easy adjustment of shoe with one hand". What does this mean? That the shoe rocks to and fro? And what's the weird fold-out thing toward the front for?

The impact driver is a totally new type of tool to me, thanks for telling me about it. Seems perfect for the kind of work I do, and there doesn't seem to be much limitation. Today at Home Bleepo I found masonry bits, drywall bits, square-drives, all to fit the 1/4" hex. Only thing is I couldn't find a chuck for it, and the hole-saw arbors only had 3/8" drive. For the short bits without the groove cut for locking, it seems they will work when used in the longer adapter.

Comment

LOL the "wierd fold out thing towards the front" IS the Tool Free Shoe Adjustment.

When it's open you can slide it in and out to adjust cutting depth on the blade

Comment

I don't understand. When it's open you can slide what in and out?

And when you say to adjust cutting depth, do you mean it changes the saw's stroke somehow?

Comment

OH! Cutting depth! The shoe slides in and out.

I would have been surprised if the stroke could be changed.

Comment

Q.....If you go to the top of this page and click on the "support" button one of the choices that will come up will be "literature". You should be able to printout a Recip saw user manual.

Comment

Nah. I thought so too, but the R854's manual is not there.

Comment

Nah. I thought so too, but the R854's manual is not there.
                            Bummer......Go to My ebox and send them an email or use the support button and send an email to Ridgid customer service telling them you need a user and parts manual for the R854 and they will send you a hyperlink for it.
                            .....oh and the blades.....yeah Milwaukee and DeWalt all fit it. I went to HD and bought the Milwaukee combo set for $25 which comes with a cool rollup holder that keeps everything organized. You will love this saw. We have two corded Milwaukee's and haven't had to use them since getting the 24V Ridgid. Leave the cords in the truck. It's nice not to have the darn cords get in the way too.
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

OK cool, thanks. I'll ask them my other questions above too.

Comment

Working...
                              X