Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Starter Tools

Hello,

I am researching good and reasonably priced starter power tools for my boyfriend's x-mas gift. He currently has a five year old set of pretty ragged black and deckers which I think includes a power drill, circular saw and flash light. We just moved into a new house and we've been making several repairs and need some more reliable tools. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Re: Best Starter Tools

What kind of tasks have you seen him work on in the past?

Comment

What voltage are the old tools? Does he use them often? Does he have corded tools too? Are you looking at replacing the old tools...or supplementing them? What are some upcoming projects do you expect him to be doing? How much are you looking at spending?

A couple things to look at:

Ryobi One+ lineup. Decent tools for very good prices.

Corded circular saw, contract table saw, router....these are "core" tools.

Comment

On a related side note... what do people here think about giving tools as gifts when they haven't been specifically requested?

I mean... if someone says "I'd like this particular tool" and you get it for them, obviously that's good... but my wife and I were looking for gifts for family and she suggested a tool set that was on sale for my sister's S.O.

I vetoed the idea. Firstly, they weren't tools I would have wanted myself, and secondly... I have no idea what he has.

The reason I'm asking this here...

If your boyfriend already has some ragged entry-level tools and they're still working, you might not be doing him any favours by moving up to something he hasn't already had his eye on. If you know what he wants, then go for it, but do you know whether he's been secretly pining over something in particular and hoping to save up for it?

Perhaps I'm just too particular about my tools.

Of course, this excludes cool tools that you don't have and likely wouldn't have ever got. A friend gave me a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver for my bday one year. I never would have got that on my own and I love the thing.

Comment

Can't be too particular about tools.

Ask this S.O. if you can come over and borrow his {**??**} for the day. And by the way does he have an {##??##}? Get into a conversation about tools.

Only hazard here is they may then buy you a {**??**}.

Comment

i would stay away from cordless for the homeowner. the cost of good cordless is 2x more than a good corded tool. the batteries will die if not cycled regularly.

1 exception would be either a cordless drill or better yet a cordless impact or screwdriver. they have a newer skil lithium at costco marina del rey for $39. they claim it will hold a 18 month charge.

depending on the type of repairs/ home improvement you will be facing. i would think a reciprocating saw/ sawzall would be a must have home wrecker.

you might also think of some good basic hand tools. such as a set of channelock slip joint pliers. #430/ 10'' and #426/ 6.5'' will do everything you need. a good 10'' and 14'' ridgid pipe wrench and a basin wrench for working/ replacing faucets. probably some wire strippers and a good test light or meter. safety glasses and gloves

need a little more info on the type of home repair you're up against.

welcome to the forum and welcome neighbor 10/405

you can never go wrong with a "plumber rick" gift certificate. good for 1 hour of fixing.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yeah... if he doesn't already have some, safety glasses/goggles are a great thing to give him! Shows you care.

I agree on the corded vs. cordless simply because that's what I use. Only cordless tools I've got are a pair of B&D screwdrivers. Again... if he doesn't have a cordless screwdriver, get him one. He'll love you more the next time he has to put together some furniture.

Comment

I would just get him a gift certificate, that way he can get exactly what he wants...
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                  I would just get him a gift certificate, that way he can get exactly what he wants...
                  Exactly. You'll just get him the wrong thing but with the right intentions.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                    Yeah... if he doesn't already have some, safety glasses/goggles are a great thing to give him! Shows you care.
                    Great idea! Safety glasses, goggles, and maybe a face shield. Throw in some ear plugs too (I prefer the type on a band that stays around your neck). I'll PM you my address so you can send me a set also. LOL. Just Kidding!

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Exactly. You'll just get him the wrong thing but with the right intentions.
                    Along with the safety equipment, throw in a gift card/certificate. It might seem impersonal but choice of tools really come down to personal preference. My Wife will never even try to think about buying me a tool. A lot of factors come into play, strength, ease of use, how it feels, durability.......ummmm oh yeah, we talkin about tools right? Not how I chose my Wife?

Tracy
                    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

WOW!!!! Thanks for all of the advice.

So to answer some questions... He currently owns the Black & Decker 12V "PowerStorm" series which includes a cordless power drill head plus sanding head and jigsaw head and one extra battery. It's one of those handheld deals where you simply switch the head tool when you need it. We just moved into a 70+ year old house and while it's in great shape, we've had minor things here and there that have required mostly the power drill, and ours keeps pooing out. I've heard him several times say he needs a new set of tools but he himself doesn't know much about it either. He'd probably go to Home Depot and let one of those guys tell him what to buy, so I figured maybe with some research, I can probably make a good desicion. Of course, I agree that he should really be a part of this process so I may go the gift card route or I may even just have him tell me what he would prefer if I can't gather enough info to make the buy on my own.

I'm hoping to spend no more than $500, so if I can only get one or two items, that's fine with me as long as I'm getting something that is of good quality and useful, of course. I guess it's a hard question to ask when no one knows what my boyfriend needs or wants. I just wanted general help and I think I got it, but if anyone has anymore thoughts now that I've given a little more info about what we already own, please chime in.

Thanks again, everyone here is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X