Ridgid 18V drill LI vs. NiCad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18V drill LI vs. NiCad

Been reading this forum for the last couple of days, I am new to the Ridgid line of tools and had may questions that have already been asked.

Our local HD has the 18V NiCad available for 119 and the LI for 129 but the LI only includes 1 battery.

Is there a significant difference in run time that would justify going for the LI with the single battery? This is for home and hobby use only, so I can't associate the cost of work related downtime if I don't have a fully charged battery.

Recommendations?

Re: Ridgid 18V drill LI vs. NiCad

I have the Ridgid 18 volt set with nicads and as a homeowner you have several advantages to using lithium batteries. Unlike the pro who is using his tools all day and running the batteries down prior to charging, you and I have less frequent and prolonged drain times on our batteries. The chance of building up the memory in a nicad is much greater for guys like us. Since our batteries also may sit for long periods of time between uses they can greatly discharge and either require charging prior to use or suffer more serious damage from discharge. The lithiums do not have a problem with memory and can be charged or topped off with no ill effects. They hold their charge for a very long time, so if you pick up your drill after not using it for a long time you're good to go. If you don't have to make your purchase "Right Now", wait a bit longer to see if Ridgid offers a kit with two of the longer amp hour lithiums. I think it's worth both the wait and a little more money in the long run. If you need to get that drill quick be aware that the compact lithium battery is only 1.5AH compared to the 2.5AH of the nicads.

Comment

Frank is spot on... (where were you when I was shopping for a drill ?)

Us "non-professional" tend to have our tools in their box most of the time ... anyway... I have a Bosch PS20 for light duty drilling and driving of screws/nuts, and I'd pull out the corded DeWalt 235G for "heavy" hole drilling.

I recently bought a Markita 12V driver/drill (NiMH 2.5 Ah) for "medium duty" .... however I afraid it probably will be collecting dust ... anyway, it has a nice box and it will come handy when time comes .... ... but more importantly, it is assembled in the US of A !

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply, I never considered the battery memory issue and your correct we would be more at risk due to the nature of it's use.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11896

According to this post in the forum someone claims to of found the Ah @ 2.9 which nice.

This is actually an Xmas gift from my wife as my only cordless I have now has retired on me.

Comment

Originally posted by srgallan View Post
          Thanks for your fast reply, I never considered the battery memory issue and your correct we would be more at risk due to the nature of it's use.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11896

According to this post in the forum someone claims to of found the Ah @ 2.9 which nice.

This is actually an Xmas gift from my wife as my only cordless I have now has retired on me.
          The AH for the 18 volt compact lithium is 1.5, not 2.9 as was told to many of us when the compact lithium was released. We have been informed that a higher AH 18 volt lithium is on the way, so if you want longer run times consider waiting a while longer.

Comment

Does anyone know what the Ah rating is for the NiCad drill model:R840011

I can't seem to find it anywhere. I see that there are different ratings for batteries and perhaps only the X2 model 18 V drill has the Max @ 2.5?

Comment

I'm confused by your statement. Is it an open box? The Ridgid LiIon drill is $170 and comes with two 1.5Ah batteries. The NiCad drill, on clearance, is $99 dollars and comes with 1.4Ah batteries.

Comment

It's not an open box, that's just the kit they have on sale right now. At least at the local HD here in Canada, resellers power tools are still quite expensive compared to the US. Just take a look at Sears craftsman line of tools online of the US compared to Canada, the pricing can be significant in differences.

Anyways, they just temporarily have a Li 18V for 129 with a single battery and online they recently had the old NiCad 18v on sale for 119 which is no regular $250 again. It has not been carried in stock for some time at our stores as they cleared them all out long ago.

I was simply debating returning my NiCad for the Li with the single battery if there was a significant difference.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

I recently found out about the limited offer of a lifetime service agreement ridgid is offering on the R86006 18 V lithium ion powered cordless drill. The clerk at Home Depot said that ridgid will replace the battery for life. It seems too good to be true.
                  I've read much of the discussion concerning the ridgid lifetime service agreement. Does this mean if I buy this drill while ridgid is making this offer I will never have to buy a battery for this drill?
                  I currently have a Dewalt that is around 15 years old, still works fine, but I have at least 200.00 dollars in batteries. And I will continue to have that expense.
                  The lifetime free replacement of batteries is extremely attractive.
                  I'm a do it yourselfer that may require tools to sit for months, and then get used extensively for a time.
                  Any comments about the certainty of free batteries for life.?

Comment

I've never replaced a battery myself but I've read posts of other people here that did with no issues. I think you are set...as long as the Ridgid cordless division stays in business. That is the big question mark. They are tied to HD now, and the stores do a terrible job promoting them. Stock is horrible, and accessories are non-existent. At this rate, I'm not sure how long they will be around.

Comment

Originally posted by lallen2 View Post
                      I recently found out about the limited offer of a lifetime service agreement ridgid is offering on the R86006 18 V lithium ion powered cordless drill. The clerk at Home Depot said that ridgid will replace the battery for life. It seems too good to be true.
                      I've read much of the discussion concerning the ridgid lifetime service agreement. Does this mean if I buy this drill while ridgid is making this offer I will never have to buy a battery for this drill?
                      I currently have a Dewalt that is around 15 years old, still works fine, but I have at least 200.00 dollars in batteries. And I will continue to have that expense.
                      The lifetime free replacement of batteries is extremely attractive.
                      I'm a do it yourselfer that may require tools to sit for months, and then get used extensively for a time.
                      Any comments about the certainty of free batteries for life.?
                      I bought Rigid when they first came out in 2003. They offered a Lifetime warranty if you purchased in the first three months. I am currently trying to see if they will replace batteries which stopped working recently. The details now say you need a Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) number which you get when you registered. I registered 4 years ago, before there was an LSA number. I still don't have an LSA number, but I did keep the receipt to prove date of purchase. I will find out first hand if they replace batteries or not...

Comment

Yeah, I see that the HD's here in Canada have the 18 volt compact lithium-ion drill here at $129, but it does only include 1 battery. That's a bit of a drawback.

Comment

Well I ended up returning R840011 when I noticed the clutch was broken on it. I decided to drop by my local store and check out this Lithium Ion drill. It's quite nice, good balance and weight so I picked it up even with the single battery, disappointing but no deal breaker for myself. Tried it when I got home and there is a fair bit of chuck wobble going on, now I have read about it but never experienced it with any of my past drills. Can this generally be resolved by removing and re-inserting the chuck? I'll probably just return it and try another, being my first Ridgid experience I am not overly impressed to date.

On another note, been following some topics and I am especially impressed with some regular posters here. The spirit of information contribution is quite refreshing.

Comment

Skishades...

There should be no problem getting your batteries replaced if you have the receipt proving you purchased when they offered the full lifetime warranty. If you get the runaround, call Ridgid tech and explain your situation and they should be able to help you.

SRGallan...

As far as chuck wobble goes... I would return it and get another one. If it was over 90 days you would have to take it to a service center to be looked at. At that point they'd ask you if you dropped it. Try another new one.
                            Last edited by PwrToolGuy; 12-08-2007, 10:28 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Working...
                            X