X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handheld marble cutting

Hello I am new and am wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. My marble guy is closing up shop and he makes me small limestone and travertine table tops. Circular 9" and 15" .He told me that I should be able to make these myself with a handheld cutter, trouble is that I don't know which brand or type of grinder or blade to use or if it is even feasible to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: handheld marble cutting

Welcome

http://www.defusco.com/How-To-DVDs-&...8qk44i0no68pt2

this company has some I will say crude DVDs , mostly a real time video of cutting out a counter top, and they have a EBay store, as well, and many times the videos will sale for less than there "asking price", I ordered the set, as we were thinking about counter tops, for a kitchen remodel for our home,

but they show straight cuts, and doing a oval under sink cut out, (not sure if on same video or not, you can call them and ask), but also how to do a profile,

there are two main tools they use a saw, and a variable speed grinder, and then diamond bits and blades and cutters and polishing pads, most all is done dry in the video.

but to do circles I do not know what tool would be best either, I am sure one could always cut and then keep working off the corners with a straight saw, and then grind to round and then profile,

but I would guess there is some type of compass type guide that could be used as well, to make it exactly round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your marble guy has not closed up shop yet, take a field trip over to his shop and ask him how and if he has any old equipment to set up up with you could buy, you could probly learn more in an hour talking to him than a video could do in weeks. He may be able to stock you with a life time supply of scraps that you could turn into your tops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this site or url will at give you at least a starting place if all else fails.
    http://www.defusco.com/
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks very much. Thats pretty helpful. I have been to his shop and unfortunately I don't have a water saw which makes the whole thing much easier. Its too bad. The shop he is closing is really a dying breed and the city here doesn't want anymore of them.

Comment

I make those size cuts with my felker 4 inch saw it is inexpensive. I also have a 2.5 or 3 inch bosch rotozip drycut. i will mark out the circle and go around and around cutting deeper each time.You will however have to clean up the edge with a sander. I also use the rotozip atachment to cut out toilet flange holes in tile. The rotozip with the angle head atachment is a little pricey.But worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X