X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophic failure

I bought a Ridgid R2611 6" orbital sander on the 18th of October. It sat in the box for over a month. I unwrapped it, read the instructions, put a sanding disc on it, plugged it in and turned it on. I sanded 3 pieces of 1x6x37" poplar without trouble. When I started on the 4th piece the sanding disc fell off. I don't mean the little paper thing, I mean the actual orbital disc that does the work. I could not believe me eyes! I emailed Ridgid and they told me to take it to the nearest service center which is almost 25 miles away. The Home Depot where I bought it was only 12 miles so I went there first. Thankfully they told me to get a new sander from the tool crib and I was out of there in 5 minutes or less. I just hope the new sander works better than the first one!
    Paul in Pa

Re: Catastrophic failure

Were you hurt? Did the falling disc do a bunch of property damage? What's so catastrophic about getting a defective product and having it replaced no questions asked?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The term "catastrophic failure" generally just implies that whatever you're talking about failed completely and beyond the ability to recover.

Comment

Paul,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Sorry to hear about the failure of your sander, but I'm glad it was replaced for you. While I wouldn't call it "catastrophic", I'm sure it left you in temporary shock, when it happened.

All Ridgid woodworking tools have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, so within that time period you can return them to Home Depot. After that, your tool is covered by a 3-year warranty for return and repair at your nearest service center. If you register your tool (can be done here on the Ridgid web site), you will be covered by a limited lifetime service agreement (known here as the LLSA). The LLSA covers all wear parts, including batteries and chargers (if you buy a cordless whatever) for as long as you own the tool. This is a great deal, so be sure to register... you'll need to send in a copy of your receipt as well as the UPC from the box, so don't throw that away.

Regarding your particular tool, the failure is pretty rare I think. But no tool, by any manufacturer, has a perfect track record. The R2611's predesessor, R2600, had a great reputation and was very much a favorite choice in the Ridgid line of orbital sanders. I have the 5" orbital and it has performed excellently for three or four years now. I hope your further experience will be the same.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Did it come unscrewed, arbor break, screws shear, Casting break, beside "falling off, how or what was the actual damage? I am not saying it was not a Catastrophic failure, but depending on what happened I would not necessary classify it as Catastrophic with out more information to what was actually was Catastrophic about the Failure.

Failure I do agree with,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hi guys,
            When I said catastrophic I meant it. It appears that there are four screws that hold the disc on the machine and the disc pulled right off of the screws. The screw heads destroyed the screw holes making it impossible to put back on. Three of the four screws stayed in the sander and the fourth pulled out with the disc. It looked like someone had put a pry bar up under the disc and popped it off. Thankfully I had just put the sander to the wood when it happened so the disc did not go anywhere. I spent 20 years as a mechanic in the Seabees so I am very familiar with things breaking and I understand that it is part of life. I am pleased that Home Depot replaced the tool for me and I would have been willing to drive to the service center if it had come to that.
            Thanks for all the replies!
            Paul

Comment

I spent 25 years working as a mechanical engineer in design and development. The term "catastrophic" failure was used to describe a total failure...one that shut the machine down such that there is not simple recovery or repair...usually referring to a smaller failure that led to larger failure of the machine or device. For example an oil leak might lead to the engine seizing....a catastrophic failure. It wasn't used to refer to the damage, or catastrophy, that might be caused by the machine.

Comment

Paul,
                I'm glad no one was hurt, and that you got a replacement without any hassle. I've had that sander for about a year and have used it sporadically, but heavily when I did. It's a great sander and I'm sure it was a fluke, maybe a bad production run. But if it breaks again, get a refund an try the Bosch 6" ROS. I hear it's excellent.

Welcome to the forum,
                Ern

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                  I spent 25 years working as a mechanical engineer in design and development. The term "catastrophic" failure was used to describe a total failure...one that shut the machine down such that there is not simple recovery or repair...usually referring to a smaller failure that led to larger failure of the machine or device. For example an oil leak might lead to the engine seizing....a catastrophic failure. It wasn't used to refer to the damage, or catastrophy, that might be caused by the machine.
                  This is the definition I think of when someone says "catastrophic failure", and its what is used today in the industry I work in (power generation) for equipment failures that fit.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Since Disaster has cleared up the definition for us, I can say that I had a girlfriend once years back that had a "catastrophic failure". One simple night with her best friend led to a week's argument, culminated by the "catastrophic failure" of the girlfriend by leaving - and taking my credit card with her, leaving me with a $2700 bill by the time I knew what was happening. No simple recovery or repair to fix that. And no LLSA to help that one out, either!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      Since Disaster has cleared up the definition for us, I can say that I had a girlfriend once years back that had a "catastrophic failure". One simple night with her best friend led to a week's argument, culminated by the "catastrophic failure" of the girlfriend by leaving - and taking my credit card with her, leaving me with a $2700 bill by the time I knew what was happening. No simple recovery or repair to fix that. And no LLSA to help that one out, either!
                      So...a simple night is without the roses, wine, dinner, dessert, foreplay, and cuddling?
                      I'll tell my Wife that and see if she goes for it.
                      "Hey Honey......how about a simple night tonight?"
                      I'll let ya know what happens.

Tracy
                      sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                        So...a simple night is without the roses, wine, dinner, dessert, foreplay, and cuddling?
                        I'll tell my Wife that and see if she goes for it.
                        "Hey Honey......how about a simple night tonight?"
                        I'll let ya know what happens.

Tracy
                        Hey, anything I can do to help. If it works, let me know - it hasn't worked once in the 10 years since.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                          Didn't I say the same thing above but with less words?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post

As catastrophic as this might of been for you, and I feel for you, I couldn't help, but, laugh...
                            How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Originally posted by pbhewitt View Post
                              I bought a Ridgid R2611 6" orbital sander on the 18th of October. It sat in the box for over a month. I unwrapped it, read the instructions, put a sanding disc on it, plugged it in and turned it on. I sanded 3 pieces of 1x6x37" poplar without trouble. When I started on the 4th piece the sanding disc fell off. I don't mean the little paper thing, I mean the actual orbital disc that does the work. I could not believe me eyes! I emailed Ridgid and they told me to take it to the nearest service center which is almost 25 miles away. The Home Depot where I bought it was only 12 miles so I went there first. Thankfully they told me to get a new sander from the tool crib and I was out of there in 5 minutes or less. I just hope the new sander works better than the first one!
                              Paul in Pa
                              hay Paul we are neighbors i'm in leola
                              charlie
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X