Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can a Rigid 2 in 1 vacuum be used with a shot blasting machine? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Rigid 2 in 1 vacuum be used with a shot blasting machine?

Home Depot rented a Blastrac shot blaster (walk-behind model) to my flooring contractor.

He hooked it up to his Rigid 2 in 1 vacuum/blower. Neither of us thought the shot blasting did any sort of effect work removing nor "pitting" my concrete slab.

I think HD made a mistake and did not give my flooring contractor a proper vacuum that Blastrac said should have gone along with the machine.

They recommend the following

Part Number:1-13DCPower Source:120 V, 1ø, 60 Hz; 17 AMaximum Air Flow:200 cfmMaximum Static Pressure:98 inH2ODust Pan Capacity:50 lb.Vacuum Hose:2¼” diameter, 25 ft. crush-proof hoseDimensions (L x W x H):31” x 19” x 32”Weight:115 lb.

Does the Rigid 2 in 1 come close to these spec?

Thanks,
    Maureen

Re: Can a Rigid 2 in 1 vacuum be used with a shot blasting machine?

Well... I found the 2-in-1 blower vac to be crap as I had two go bad on me before I gave up and bought the pro series... BUT... that thing DOES have a lot of power. You'd be hard pressed to find one that's going to give you more power than that one.

Those specs... is it meant to be used with some sort of shop vac with those specs, or is it meant to have some piece of specialty equipment that's not a common (even if high-end) shop vac?

Of course... I don't even know what a shot blaster is... so I'm kinda just filling space until someone with real knowledge comes along...

Comment

Hi Wild Weasel,

Shot blasting is a way to get all the adhesive, oils, paints, etc off a concrete slab so that you can install new flooring adhesives and wood or tile.

In my case I have to shot blast off Bostik BST adhesive that is "stuck like glue" on my 27 year-old concrete slab. My flooring contrator had his subs use Bostick BST per Teragren's specs for installing their Strand Bamboo (a truly beautiful floor).

Unfortunately, the slab probably never had a moisture vapor barrier put down before it was poured. The Calcium Chloride test for my dining room was 15. I think 3-5 is ok. So, we had to tear out my barely two-month old cupping Teragren Strand Bamboo.

Now we are trying to prep the slab to put down Schulter's DITRA moisture barrier system. So far the razor blading, sanding with some very fierce looking rotary sand paper, grinding, and shot blasting with a Blastrac machine rented from Home Depot have not removed all of the Bostik adhesive off.

We did a water bead test to see if things were scraped off enough. Nope, the water just sat there. And a little splash of water skidded in little mercury-like beads across a few feet of the messed up concrete slab. No way thin-set is going to adhere. And the DITRA moisture vapor barrier is set down in unmodified thin-set.

So, short-story long, I'm hoping that the shot blasting failed because my flooring guy used his Rigid 2-in-1 shop vac instead of the model Blastrac recommends that Home Depot usually includes in the $350.00 rental of the equipment.

I'm trying to find out if the Rigid shop vac is comparable to this:

Part Number:1-13DCPower Source:120 V, 1ø, 60 Hz; 17 AMaximum Air Flow:200 cfmMaximum Static Pressure:98 inH2ODust Pan Capacity:50 lb.Vacuum Hose:2¼” diameter, 25 ft. crush-proof hoseDimensions (L x W x H):31” x 19” x 32”Weight:115 lb.

Price: $2,511.25

I appreciate any help.

Maureen

Comment

You won't find any shop vac near as powerful. That's a real commercial machine with 2 motors with multi stage fans on each. While you could find some large and costly true industrial vacuum cleaners that could match it, you really should just try to rent the proper machine for the job.

In addition to having more power this is a special vacuum cleaner made to handle fine abrasive dust. It has super filters inside.
        http://www.blastrac.com/en-us/pc-834-33-1-13dc.aspx

If you rigged up a Y fitting and connected up two of the top model Ridgid 2 stage (RV2600B - Cat #25653) vacs so they run as a team and then installed Clean Stream HEPA filter cartridges in them along with paper collection bags, you would come close to the special vacuum. You would need to use the so called 2-1/2 hose which is closer to 2 inches inside diameter.

For what it's worth try to find all equipment matched for the job and of the same brand and type.

Good luck with this and be sure you have on proper safety gear to protect yourselves.
        Last edited by Woussko; 12-01-2007, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the information. I finally found a company, Bull's Eye Environmental out of Metairie, LA (near New Orleans) that does just shot blasting. One of their guys is coming Monday to demo the shot blaster AND proper vacuum.

I don't know why my flooring guy tried to use his Rigid 2 in 1 for this. I think he got bad info. When I called the local Home Depot rental department, the young woman said they had one vac that was used with the shot blaster and it was a Rigid.

Then one of the guys in the rental department said they always send out a Blastrac Turbo Vac II. That vac is actually made by Fein. I wish that the "big box" stores could train their people better. I wonder how many millions of dollars both pro's and DIY'ers waste on the wrong products because of bad info at these places.

I used to think these places were wonderful. Now, I try not to buy anything at them but inexpensive petunias!

Thanks again for the info. I'm going to share it with my flooring guy so he can consider it for his next shot blasting job.

Maureen

Comment

Hi the machine in question must use a "blastrac" vaccum. It is designed for light to med removal. The wrong vac will slow the grinder (speed) it will not work/travel as well because of the nature of the material being collected ie: concrete, epoxy, mastic glue etc. etc. Home depot will probably limit their liability to the rental of the equipment only.

Regards, Robert Boone/Boone Coatings Incorporated.

Comment

I wonder if, instead of shot-blasting it off, maybe muriatic acid would work better? I've used that in the past to clean up stains from concrete. It's very caustic, so you must use it in solution with water. You need to wear a respirator if using indoors. You also need some serious gloves that will protect from chemical (acid) burns.

You cut the acid with water in a glass jar. You pour some on the floor and scrub with a bristle broom (no plastic bristles). Once you've got it clean enough, wash with clean water, then you should be able to vac it up with a standard shop-vac.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
              X