Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryobi 18V Lithium

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
    The Ryobi's are what they are. I don't do misson critical stuff and I have more than one drill, etc., so an unexpected failure is not that big a deal. My usage is pretty low as these things go, so the Ryobis make sense for me, especially since I like all the other gadget/tools that are in the One Plus line. Hell, I have an old Craftsman 14.4 that still runs, but it is down to the last battery. Buying another battery ($40) is cost prohibitive, so I suspect I will just toss the drill when the last battery goes. It's a shame, really.
    My wife's cousin is an Electrician and after doing some work for us years ago I gave him a new milwaukee cordless drill. He gave me his old beat up 12 volt Craftsman and I used if for several years, then gave it away to a buddy. It wouldn't die! Don't know about their newer stuff but that 12volt was a great tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
      I realize this is a Ridgid forum, but I am going to get the Ryobi 18v lithium (Package that has the drill and flashlight) and the box says the batteries are 2.4AH.
      I asked the clerk to verify this and they did along with the Ryobi folks. They also said the Ridgid 18V Lithium drill is 2.8 AH despite what is being said on the forums about 1.5AH batteries.

I am returning my 14.4V Ridgid back tomorrow and gettign the Ryobi. Ron
      I had intentions of getting the Ryobi but after comparing the Ridgid and the Ryobi side by side, I chose the Ridgid.
      The quality, comfortable feel (weight and balance) and warranty of the Ridgid was far better than the Ryobi. I also used my HF 15%, so that helped.
      As far as the batteries are concerned, as a DIY homeowner, I think the 1.5AH batteries will be fine. Afer all, you get 2 and with one always on the charger, you really should never run out of battery power. You can look at it this way also, you do get a 3.AH battery, it is just divided in 2 batteries! Ron

Comment

From a hard core DeWalt user, I have to humbly admit that I have replaced my Yellow Brand Tools with the new Lime Green ones.

After 4 years of moderate use, all of my DeWalt XRP batteries (I had 2 multi-kits + jobsite radio) just would not hold much of a charge anymore. Not too bad by itself, I knew they wouldn't last forever. But to replace them was going to be quite an investment. I actually figured I'd buy another multi-kit as it wouldn't hurt to have another drill and maybe get an impact driver this time, plus 2 new batteries. I'd been noticing all the "other" brands starting to use Lithium and had really been waiting for DeWalt to do the same before I invested in more NiCds.

Instead, a couple of months ago, I saw the new ONE+ lithium kit at HD. They had the "try it before you buy it" display with all the brands. As much as I wanted to poo-poo the Ryobi, I couldn't put it down. I figured with the liberal return policy, I'd take it home and see if it would do all the things I wanted it to do. I've been pleasantly surprised and very impressed with both the build quality and especially the battery life.

The Ryobi circular saw is 5-1/2" while the Dewalt is 6-1/2" giving the Ryobi a max cut depth of 1-1/2". I'm going to use a corded tool for anything thicker anyway. And the battery placement on the Ryobi is tucked under the handle, so you can get it into much tighter places than the Dewalt. I've purposely been using the Ryobi circular saw in places where I would have used a corded tool (mostly sheet goods, 2x lumber, etc. - no microlams) for a couple of months now, and I have not been disappointed at all. I don't know if it was just mine or what, but my DeWalt circular saw just seemed to eat batteries. I could never get more than 5-10 minutes of use from a newly charged battery. Consequently, I never really used my Dewalt cordless circular saw very much.

The Ryobi drill is NOT a hammerdrill. I used to use my DeWalt in hammer mode extensively for drilling into concrete slabs, but ever since I got a corded hammerdrill I no longer need it for that. Although the Dewalt cordless does not work as well as my corded, I was always impressed with how well it stood up through hours of hammerdrilling. Of course, I'd go through batteries every 10 minutes.

As a plain drill, I think the Ryobi and the DeWalt compare pretty evenly. Both have the one-handed toolless chuck, which for me, has become a requirement. The Dewalt has 3 speeds and the Ryobi just 2, with speeds 1 & 2 being pretty much the same, while the Dewalt's 3rd speed being a couple hundred RPMs higher. IMHO, the Dewalt's case just might withstand a drop from a ladder a little better. No, I didn't test that out.

So with the tool performance being about the same (for my purposes), the battery life being more than twice as long, and the price..well, you know how the price compares, I guess I've decided to just let the Dewalt tools fade away and get behind the lime green wagon. I can't say whether the "blue" version of the 30 or so tools that are now available to me are as solidly built, but it sure it nice to know that if I really do need a cordless caulking gun - even for just one job - it's only going to cost me about $50 to try it.

Jim

Comment

I have a whole slew of 12v Ryobi crap in my basement. Bought the combo kit a year or two ago. Unusable since the batteries don't last for more than a few minutes of use. Bottom line, when you're looking at brands don't assume the batterries will last the same time between charges if they're the same voltage.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X