Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 24V Lithium Ion Drill?

Hello,
    I am in the process of purchasing a new cordless drill and am %90 percent sure I am going with the 24V rigid lithium Ion. I have been comparing this unit to the yellow guys drills and notice they measure their drills in unit watts. How does this drill match up with the yellow guys lithium phosphate counterpart?

Re: Questions about 24V Lithium Ion Drill?

Which specific DeWalt drill are you comparing the Ridgid 24 volt drill too? The UWO number DeWalt uses is a better way to describe how much "energy" a drill can deliver because it combines torque with speed. Any drill can produce heaps of torque at slow speeds by using gearing. Unfortunately, DeWalt is the only major manufacturer using this definition so it is difficult to compare.

Comment

Sounds like you'll be interested in two things:
      - torque (power)
      - battery capacity.

Torque is measured in inch-pounds and battery capacity in amp-hours. Higher is better, for both.

Personally, I'd also look at the weights. Ridgid is heavier than DeWalt, but you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum View Post
        - torque (power)
        Not to nitpick...but it goes to DeWalts point with their UWO rating.

Torque is not power. It is force. Force multiplied by speed equals power.

You need a minimum torque to get the job done, after that you want speed...speed at that torque to get the job done.

DeWalt gives a power rating because rated torque at speed is more important than plain torque. The higher the speed at a particular torque...the faster you can get the job done.

One other problem with torque ratings is the inconsistency of how they are measured. Electric motors make lots of torque...as they stall out. This isn't "useable" torque.

If you just go by torque it is to the manufacturer's advantage to gear really low and then measure stall torque and end up with huge numbers (which some do), when, in reality, they aren't going to get as much work done as a more efficient drill with better gearing.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
          Hello,
          I am in the process of purchasing a new cordless drill and am %90 percent sure I am going with the 24V rigid lithium Ion. I have been comparing this unit to the yellow guys drills and notice they measure their drills in unit watts. How does this drill match up with the yellow guys lithium phosphate counterpart?

You can talk tech and numbers all day...when you are ready to get some work done, buy the Ridgid...it will not dissapoint. Just my two cents...

Comment

"Originally Posted by crazycanadian"

You mean they have electricity in Canada?

Comment

"Originally Posted by crazycanadian"

You mean they have electricity in Canada?

Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
                Good one!
                We actually use teams of beavers on treadmills to generate the majority of electricity.

Comment

Lucky that, because ice doesn't flow through turbines...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                    Hello,
                    What drill would be most usefull for you depends on how you are going to use it. I see you are an electrician. The majority of electrician tasks require a light, nimble drill that is easy to handle and has decent but not overwhelming power needs. This would point more to the Ridgid Compact 18V LI or the Makita 18V LI compact, or maybe the Hitachi 18V LI or the old elctricians favorite the Panasonic 14.4V LI. I own a Ridgid 18V LI compact drill which is an excellent job site tool. It is light, powerful, very good trigger speed control and the small batteries have surprising life for their size. I have been using it every day on the job since I got it in July. I have never used either the Makita or Hitachi compact LI's although they are getting favorible reviews in some of the comparison tests. I used the Panasonic 12V and 14.4 LI drills for a short period of time when helping an electrician. They are very good tools.
                    I have the Ridgid 24V LI hammer drill you originally refered to. It is a very powerfull albiet very heavy drill. Because it is well balanced it is surprisingly usable. With that said unless I need to drive a bunch of holes with a 1 1/2" Forstner or big steel bits the 24 stays in the bag and I reach for the Ridgid compact 18V LI.....Ray

Comment

DeWalt did tests on competitive drills and the Milwaukee V28 drill is around 500 UWO. Ridgid wasn't listed in that test, but I would imagine the 24V is around the same.

You will get more power out of the DeWalt 36V, as an example (it's an awesome drill for drilling studs for electrical and plumbing), but you will also pay more too. You will have to weigh out how much you want to pay vs. whether you want the absolute highest power from a cordless tool.

Comment

You may get more power out of the DeWalt, but less time. Nothing is free.

(You mean we're not teasing the Canadians anymore? )

Comment

You may get more power out of the DeWalt, but less time. Nothing is free.

(You mean we're not teasing the Canadians anymore? )
                          What do you mean by less time, less runtime? The 2.4Ah 36v batteries have a longer run time than 24v 3.0 Ah ones. Thats just the battery. Tool efficiency also needs to be considered but Dewalt drills usually come ahead of Ridgid with equal battery ratings when it comes to run time.

As far as price is concerned the last time I checked in HD they were selling the 36v 2 piece kit for $399 vs the Ridgid 3 piece for $379. $20 less gets you an extra flashlight with the Ridgid kit. If you can still find the 36v kit for that price I'd go for that instead.

Comment

Less runtime, all else being equal, of course. Did you think I meant that if you use a 36v battery in the DeWalt and I use a forklift battery in a Ridgid, that I would expect the same results?

A 24v 86.4WH battery that has to feed a less-thirsty motor will last longer.
                            Last edited by Quantum; 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Less runtime, all else being equal, of course. Did you think I meant that if you use a 36v battery in the DeWalt and I use a forklift battery in a Ridgid, that I would expect the same results?

A 24v 86.4WH battery that has to feed a less-thirsty motor will last longer.
                              Actually, higher voltage motors are generally more efficient, therefore they are the ones that are "less thirsty."

The DeWalt is 36x2.4=86.4. The Ridgid is 24x3=72. All things being equal the DeWalt should run longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X