Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle came out while drilling - Advice

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting and a little ignorant with the drilling part terms. Also apologize for the large pictures.

I was using a spade bit to drill through a 4x6 and about half way through, I drilled into a knot which locked up the chuck resulting in the chuck and spindle coming out. I've posted pictures in hopes that if I identified something wrong, you guys could tell me.

In regards to the spindle and chuck, I pressed the spindle back into the quill just like we would to install a new chuck.

What are the chances of the spindle and chuck coming loose again?

Sincerely,
    -Tim
    Last edited by tlj; 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM. Reason: changed title from spindle to arbor

Re: Spindle came out while drilling - Advice

Tim

I hope you cleaned things up well before pressing them together. The part attached to the chuck is an arbor. It's made so using a drill drift through the slot (see pictures) it can be removed. To help it stay in, place a wood block on the drill press table and turn the crank so the chuck (with jaws open) comes down. Give it a few good hard taps using up and down cranking. If you can think of an angry woodpecker. Another way would be to use a plastic or wood hammer and strike upward. Vibration will sometime shake them loose. When drilling try to STOP fast if there's lots of chatter-vibration and lower the spindle speed some. All mating parts must be very clean before putting them together.

With your drill press you have a female socket spindle with a Morse taper. This is inside of the quill. An arbor has two male ends. One (long taper) is the Morse taper end and the other which is shorter is the Jacobs taper end which fits into the chuck.
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-30-2007, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Woussko,

Thank you for the information and clarification. I made sure to clean them up before mating them back together. I'll be drilling more tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

-Tim

Comment

Well, in order for this to have happened you must have had the drill going backwards. As you're looking down at the work the bit should be going clockwise. Otherwise the wood would burn and your chuck would unscrew.

Comment

If for some reason you get side pressure with vibration, they can work loose, that is why milling machines have a draw-bar in them to pull it tight and to lock the tapered socket,

that is why even with a compound vice drill presses don't work well as milling machines,

Yes you can mill a slot with a drill press by using a two flue mill and drilling it but not with side pressure, a mill cutter will drill off an edge of a hole where a drill bit will not, (a four flue will not drill as well as a two flute).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

many better chucks us tapers even on the arbor and they do not thread on, they use a tapered socket and to remove them you use a special fork shaped wedge and to properly remove the chuck arbor from the spindle of the drill press you use a wedge there was well in the slot on the (i think it was the first picture).

normally the screw on chucks are jsut used on hand held drills

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the JT3 stands for Jacobs taper #3 is in the drill chuck and the Morse taper is in the spindle of the drill press, the arbor is tapered both ends.
          Last edited by BHD; 12-01-2007, 11:26 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This may help some with understanding things a bit better.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the information. I've been reading more about morse tapers which has helped clarify some of my confusion. After remating the arbor, I was able to finish drilling what I needed to without any more incidents.

Sincerely,
              Tim

Comment

Working...
              X