Ok to use mitre saw in cold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to use mitre saw in cold?

I need to make a few cuts, but it's below freezing outside these days.

Is it ok to use a mitre saw outside in freezing weather, so long as it's not snowing or anything? Could this potentially be bad for it?

I checked the manual and there's nothing in it about operating temperatures or anything.

Re: Ok to use mitre saw in cold?

You didn't mention if the mitre saw was belt driven like the slide saw? If it's belt driven and way below freezing I imagine the belt could become brittle, but it would have to be really cold. Direct drive, can't see a probelm with the cold but curious to hear what others have to say.

Comment

Grease in gear box will get really think or solid. If you keep the miter saw inside, take it out to make a few cuts and then bring it back in, things should be OK. I see contractors using them in my area during the winter outside without problems. I wouldn't recommend storing one in an unheated area overnight and then working it hard. I doubt it would damage it, but it's wise to take care of our tools as best we can.

Comment

It's stored in my unheated garage, so it would be pretty much frozen to begin with.

Makes sense though. I think I'll bring it inside the house overnight, then use it and put it back in the garage.

I really only need to make 3 or 4 cuts so it won't be worked hard at all.

No idea whether it's direct drive or belt driven though. It's a 10" slider.

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          You didn't mention if the mitre saw was belt driven like the slide saw? If it's belt driven and way below freezing I imagine the belt could become brittle, but it would have to be really cold. Direct drive, can't see a probelm with the cold but curious to hear what others have to say.
          I don't agree about the belt becoming brittle. It is made the same way as the belts on cars. Think about it.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I'm somewhat suspect about that. I'd actually expect it to be made much more like the belts on vacuum cleaners than those on cars.

Comment

I use both styles of saw in the winter, even at 20 below. Never had a saw brake down because of the cold. Belt driven works the best and squeals like a pig, but it does work. Just used my 12" Ridgid slider yesterday, 10 degrees and a wind factor of -5, worked like a champ...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

it will be fine but just to be sure , pull the trigger and let the blade come to and stay at full speed for 2-5 seconds that is the only real advice i have.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I agree with Garager--not with Wossuko, tho. Bringing it in from the cold to warm and back to cold is going to create condensation and may give you more trouble than just using it. Mine stays in an unheated garage and works in any temp.
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                    I use both styles of saw in the winter, even at 20 below. Never had a saw brake down because of the cold. Belt driven works the best and squeals like a pig, but it does work. Just used my 12" Ridgid slider yesterday, 10 degrees and a wind factor of -5, worked like a champ...
                    Garager, I just threw that idea out as possible but it's good to know you haven't had a problem due to the cold. Since you are a Pro and use your slide a lot I was wondering how long the belt has lasted for you? Just wondering if I should keep a spare on hand. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      I agree with Garager--not with Wossuko, tho. Bringing it in from the cold to warm and back to cold is going to create condensation and may give you more trouble than just using it. Mine stays in an unheated garage and works in any temp.
                      Jim
                      I fully agree with PK on this one. I had in mind keeping the miter saw in a heated place all the time other than just to take it outside, make the cuts and then get it back inside. I really do not like storing power tools in the garage. I want them where it's cleaner and dry. Warming it and then keeping it in a cold place isn't what I had in mind. I'm different in that most of my tools come in and stay inside other than when needed for outdoor work.

Comment

I just don't have a place in my house to store tools. Hell... I don't really have room in the garage either, but that's where they end up.

Thanks again for the advice. I made the cuts last night, and now I have peace of mind in knowing I didn't take a few years off the life of the saw or any such thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X