Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems to be a no brainer, but ...... (about Drill press)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems to be a no brainer, but ...... (about Drill press)

As a HomeOwner and a woodworking Noob, should I spend ~$40 for a Crapsman "drill stand" ? or $50 for a HF cheapo 10" drill press? or ~$100 range for something .... "better" like ShopMaster/Hitachi/Ryobi ?

My thoughts are as follow:
    * for a $40 drill stand I will use it with my DeWalt 235G, I can flip it sideway as grinder / polisher, too.

* for a $50 cheapo HF drill press, it's motor might not even be as good as my 235G () .. but it sure come with a lot of cast iron... and can't flip it horizontally to function as a grinder/polisher

* for ~$100 range drill press I doubt I'm just simply paying for a brand name... still can;t flip it horizontally to function as a grinder/polisher.

$40 sounds like is a lot for just a stupid stand .. for seems like it can do a lot more than some "lower end" drill press....

What would you do?

Re: Seems to be a no brainer, but ...... (about Drill press)

95% of the time, I go after whats going to last me a long, long time. First I do the research, then I buy. I also spend some time in my research, just to make sure I'm not just jumping into something that I really don't need. However, I need every tool out there...

Realistically I can't have everything. Buy what you can afford and get the best for your price range, but if you think you'll just use it one or two times, well I still won't recommend el cheapo.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

By your spelling of Craftsman why would you even consider any product they make? I know that I'd never invest in anything that I considered crap.

Whatever price point you decide on, get one that has the most speed settings in that price range. You need the ability to change speeds to match both the drill bit style and material that is being drilled to get the best performance out of any drill press. There are also other points to look for when buying a drill press such as quill travel, HP, runout(often a problem in cheap low end DP's) and capacity.

I always recommend that a floor DP is the way to go. A floor model takes up no more of a footprint than a benchtop DP but offers a larger capacity for those times that you really need it. For most woodworking purposes you can find an acceptable floor style DP starting at around $150, less if you buy used.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

You just got some sound advice, now here's some that's out on a limb. I've been looking to get a decent size drill press for years. A few years ago a buddy gave me an old Delta, it was bench top and had to weigh at least 180lb or so. It had a real small chuck for a machine of it's size and weight. I found out an upgrade for the chuck was expensive and also limited in size due to the motor. I finally came across an old "Shop Smith" multi woodworking machine the "MarkV". Only cost me $60.00 and another fifty for a new 1/2" chuck and arbor. This machine will work horizontal or vertical and is the equivalent of a 16" drill press. If you can find one under one hundred check it out. I would not suggest this for the Pro or the guy who is going to take the drill press from one location to another. Parts are available.

Comment

I have found this particular expression / saying to be so true...

"Buy once, cry once!"

Comment

I agree with Badger Dave, and the others similar posts. But one thing I'm a bit confused about... what do you need most, a drill press or a grinder? You mention both a couple of times as if one must absolutely be a feature of the other.

From my point of view they are totally separate and not to be combined tools. While there have been a number of "mounts" over the years that turn the common power drill into other things, most pretty well fall short of being successful. If you don't have real need or budget for a drill press, then I suppose a little stand, capable of emulating a drill press is better than nothing, but it most likely won't have the power or precision and you'd probably be just as well off buying a $30 portable drill "guide".

Likewise, even the cheapest bench grinder has got to serve better than a horizontal mounting of your power drill and would certainly not subject your drill to lateral forces that it wasn't designed for. As a matter of fact, I think HD has the Ryobi 6" bench grinder on sale for less than $30.

The point is, don't let your focus on getting a two-in-one tool pursuade you into buying the el-cheapo anything. In the long run, having a dedicated tool designed specifically for the task will better serve you, IMO.

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X