Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new planer r4330 and blades???

So here's what happened...

I went to HD last night and asked about ordering blades. The customer service person looked up the SKU and they didn't have any in stock and it was marked as 'inactive' (whatever that means) no other stores in the area had them either. She told me that she couldn't special order an item that they stock (even though they don't stock it). She talked to someone else and they called Ridgid to get a special order SKU to order the item. The Ridgid guy gave her a generic SKU to use for ordering, even before she told him what part was needed.

I didn't end up ordering any, because I didn't even own the tool...yet. So I bought the one R4330 that they had, took it home set it up and ran some scraps through it to get an initial impression. I think this weekend I will do some quick side by side comparisons and then return the one I like least. I have a feeling I will be returning the Craftsman, but I am torn about a couple issues.

I will let everyone know what I find. If I keep the Ridgid I will probably go and order a couple sets of blades and pray I can get more in the years to come.

Oh, and the regular SKU was listed as $29 and change. I'm not sure if there will be any additional charges to special order them.

Comment

I spoke with Ridgid Technical Support this afternoon and they said that though there has been a problem, it has been rectified and all HD stores have the correct information for placing an order for these blades. Furthermore, most stores should already have received stocks of these blades. If your local store doesn't have them yet, then they are "on the way".

Funny, because I was in my local store yesterday looking for any holiday bargains (didn't find any), when a guy came into the area. He walked up and down the aisle two or three times and then muttered something. I asked him if I could help and he said he need blades for his DeWalt which he had purchased a couple of months ago.

Well it seems like the R4330 isn't alone. The store had three sets of Ridgid TP1300 blades and about a half-dozen Delta blades. But they didn't have any of the new Ridgid blades (we already know that), but also no DeWalt, and no Ryobi. Not sure why they have those Delta blades as I have never seen any Delta products in the store. But then that's the way Home Depot does things.

CWS

Comment

CWSmith, you're awesome. I'm very happy, considering the fact that I've already put at least 5-8 full minutes on the thing (actual load time), just bought it the other day, and they say to change blades at 25 minutes operating time. While I understand that you can turn the blades around/over, thereby doubling their lives, I see it won't take very much time to go through blades, considering the projects I want to build this Winter.

I plan on working the Ridgid hard and feel a heckuva lot better knowing that I can now get the blades. I'll definitely buy extras.

Comment

I just picked up a set of planer blades from HD today, you know, the ones that say for 13" planer. Wasn't until I got home and removed the old ones that I noticed they weren't the same as the 4330 knives. The 2 blade system on the older model has wider blades, the notches on the ends are different...and of course there's only 2 of them. This was the ONE blade type there, and there was only ONE rigid planer, let alone labeled 13", but I'M the idiot for assuming they went together *DOH!*
          Guess I'm going to stop back in tomorrow and tell them to order me a couple sets myself since I can't seem to find them here or anywhere else for that matter.
          Regards-Al
          Last edited by Improvise; 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Improvise,

Welcome to the forum!

Read a couple of the earlier posts on this thread and you'll see that you're not alone in your search for blades. I was told a couple of months ago that all Home Depot's have the proper instructions for ordering the new 3-blade packs for the R4330. It is unfortunately obvious that far too many Home Depot stores are dragging their feet on stocking these.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
              with the money I saved, I'm planning on doing a sander of some sort.

As long as I can get the consumables, readily, I'm stoked. My new R4330 kicks butt. I'm taking all recommendations from the manual to heart; i.e., wax for planing table, tar and pitch remover for blades, keeping it all clean, thereby prolonging the life of the blades, all that.

I've just planed my test run guitar body. Going to do a Fender Telecaster style guitar body, with an already bought Ibanez RG series neck. Just need to practice a bit with router, templates, finalizing the design.

Then, I spend the $200 plus on the wood for a new butt kicker guitar.

I'm just a Luthier wannabe and cabinet/furniture maker type guy.

Hey Carl, just a quick note on guitar "sound" wood. Mostly, guitar bodies are a stable wood, but the tops will usually be something flashy like a flame maple. Figured woods like flame maple do NOT do well in a planer!! It matters not who makes the planer, the wood will chip like crazy. I've tried!! Your best course is to get the wood in a thickness close to what you want, then use hand tools and sanders to shape it. The slight rise and run on a guitar top are tricky, and it's best to use a hand planer for that, anyway. You could use a hand-held rotary tool with an aggressive bit to hog off the majority to save some time, but you're going to end up using a hand plane and LOTS of sandpaper.

The main part of the body and usually the back can be machine-planed to thickness. It's only the figured woods that can't be run through a planer.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've seen both blades for the 4330 and 1300 at my local HD. They don't look interchangeable and the older 1300's indicate they also work with the Ryobi 13" planer. The R4330 is a 3 blade cutterhead system and is much narrower and thin, relative to the beefier 1300 blades.

Comment

I am seriously considering getting the New Ridgid R4330 Planer. They have some in stock in the nearest HD store, about 40 miles away. I have a couple of questions that someone who has been using one of these planers for some time now. 1. How much do the replacement blades cost (all 3 of them) and how long do the blades last with careful use? I read where someone said that they should be replaced after only 25 minutes of use. I would hope that they would last more than 25 hours of use.

Also does anyone know if HD stocks stands for the planer?

Thanks

Phil

They are asking $369.00 for the R4330.
                  Last edited by congoperator; 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM. Reason: Another question

Comment

I was told that the 3-blade pack for the 4330 was going to be priced the same as the 2-blade pack for the TP1300. If that's true, the price would be $29.97. You might also note the a the blades are double-edged.

CWS

Confirmation on April 8, 2008: My local HD has both blade packages in stock and they are both priced the same at $29.97. They are both hanging from the same pin though and have identical SKU# (Hey, the HD TAG folks don't have a clue I guess... no wonder there's confusion with the sales staff.)

As priviously described, the 4330 blades are narrower and less beefy looking than the TP1300 blades.
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
                      Can it be that HD's staff is inadequately trained? Either way, I think HD is driving a lot of customers to other brands because of the lack of consumables being in-stock. This is the reason why I am so reluctant to purchase this planner.
                      HD inadequately trained?????????? Surely you jest!! I've never gotten any answers from their employees that actually helped anything other than passing time.
                      Why ANY manufacturer would choose HD as an exclusive distributor is beyond me. In order to sell or service a customer, you have to know at least something about the product.
                      Now that I've bashed HD, I did buy the R4330 and am extremely happy with it. Others have said that no cutterhead lock will definitely give you snipe but, I can honestly say, NO snipe. I've run appr. 150 bf of red oak in 2' to 5' lengths, all about 3"-6" wide, and the only snipe I ever got was when I tried taking more than 1/8" off. 1/8" or less per pass gives me perfectly planed and very smooth finished boards. I would highly recommend this planer and just order the replacement blades online.
                      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

Hi. I just joined the forum today. I also purchased a R4330 planer but noticed that Ridgid wants about $22 per blade plus shipping from their parts department. Is there any other place to buy these blades because I can't even find them at Home Depot, eBay or other sites. Thanks.

Comment

Seeyabarney,

Your Home Depot should have these in stock. If not, have them order them as the corporate office alledgedly sent out instructions to all stores months ago. The price for a 3-blade package set is $29.97 (same price as the 2-blade sets for the older TP1300).

In my local store, both TP1300 and R4330 blade sets were hanging from the same pin, so you might have to examine the stack to find what you want.

I can't speak for the blade life, so perhaps other members with offer their advice.

CWS

Comment

Thanks, but unfortunately when I approached two Home Depots, they both either gave me phone numbers of Ridgid Parts or just said we don't carry them, sorry. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by chetos View Post
                              Anyone found the blades for Ridgids new model. I am buy a planner in about a week and it's between the Delta 22.580, Dewalt DW735 and the new Ridgid. The only thing that bothers me about the Ridgid is at Home Depot they only have the old model blades and I can't get a straight answer from them. If anyone has the new blades, how much are they? Thanks.
                              I just purchased a new Ridgid 13" Thickness Planer Model R4330 at a Home Depot in Altoona, PA. They also had replacement 13" blades for this model incstock for $29.99 (3 pack)

Comment

Thank goodness it comes with the first two sets included. Will have to find a part number and go looking for stolen property for sale in Ebay and get me some

Comment

Working...
                                X