X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new planer r4330 and blades???

Anyone found the blades for Ridgids new model. I am buy a planner in about a week and it's between the Delta 22.580, Dewalt DW735 and the new Ridgid. The only thing that bothers me about the Ridgid is at Home Depot they only have the old model blades and I can't get a straight answer from them. If anyone has the new blades, how much are they? Thanks.
    Last edited by chetos; 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM.

Re: new planer r4330 and blades???

No one has bought this planer yet? I did email Ridgid and haven't heard from them. I've got $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I'll wait a couple more days and if I haven't heard from Ridgid, I guess it's off to buy the 22-580.

Comment

bump...
      I'd hate to have to make a decision based on not being able to get blades...I really want to buy the Ridgid but I'll need replacement blades.

Comment

Originally posted by chetos View Post
        bump...
        I'd hate to have to make a decision based on not being able to get blades...I really want to buy the Ridgid but I'll need replacement blades.
        Why would you hate to make a decision to purchase or not based on not being able to buy replacements for normal wear and tear items? That actually should be one of the top criteria when making a purchase. If there's no service offered after the sale then the register should ring up, NO SALE.

My local Home Depot's not stocking replacement knives for the Ridgid jointer was the main reason I didn't buy the Ridgid jointer. Their hit or miss stocking of planer knives also played a part in my decision to go with the DeWalt DW735 planer over the Ridgid.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 12-09-2007, 06:06 PM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sure hope it's not a problem getting the blades. I researched the heck out of the R4330 and decided to buy it instead of the Dewalt. Used it for the first time today. It rocks. Places like Home Depot just don't make a lot of sense the way they support their products, or don't.

Time for a little online search and a call to Home Depot and Ridgid. Disgusting that they make a product that you can't get replacement knives for.
          Last edited by Carl762; 12-09-2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I read someplace that the Ryobi blades fit the Ridgid planer of some size. (Or maybe it was the jointer). Don't know if that applies to the 4330 or not but if they have Ryobi, it might be worth comparing.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I may be misinformed on this but I'm under the impression that all throwaway planer knives are manufacturer specific or at the very least model specific. I do know that Infinity makes replacement knives for the DeWalt DW735 but they cost more than the DeWalt replacement knives and as far as I know they are the only other place you can get knives for the 735 besides DeWalt. Because OWI makes both the Ryobi and the older Ridgid planers the knives may be interchangeable but I kinda doubt if the Ryobi knives and the newer R4330 knives are interchangeable. But, then again, I could be wrong.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Probably the best suggestion that I can make is to call Ridgid Customer Support (or on second thoughts, perhaps Technical Support would be better) and ask if the TP1300 Planer blades will fit the R4330. If so, you'll have to buy a couple of sets of 2-blade packs to get the three blades you need, but at least you'll know that replacements are immediately available. (If they don't know, you could simply pull a blade out of your R4330 and take it down to your local HD and compare it.)

Also, I should ask if you know that the blades are reversable; so that may take the urgency out of your need at this moment.

I've heard that the Ryobi and Ridgid TP1300 blades were interchangeable but I really don't know for sure if that is the case, or just someone's assumption. If my memory serves me (once in awhile, it works), I seem to recall that the Ryobi blades were narrower than the Ridgid.

From a machine design point of view it would seem logical that the Ridgid R4330 would incorporate the same blades as the previous model (TP1300) as long as they already were tooled for a blade that is still needed for many older machines that are out there. But, it would appear that "logic" has failed somewhere because who puts a product on the market without having the consumables readily available.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I am looking at returning the Craftsman 21743 that I got on sale last month and getting the Ridgid 4330 instead. I have been disappointed with the build quality. The bed came scratched, there were a couple nicks in one of the knives. The plastic sides aren't attached well and keep coming loose.

The whole not being able to find blades thing has me pretty worried about the R4330 so yesterday I stopped by the local HD on the way home and after I found someone, who was then able to find the tool guy he looked and they only had blades for a Delta planer (which they don't even sell). He then looked through all the catalogues and the part was nowhere to be found. He tried calling Ridgid, but the recording told him to find the part online.

I went home and wasn't able to even find the planer in the parts lookup tool so I used the customer contact support form. This morning at 8:49 I got a message that there was a response in my ebox.

My message:
                  I am looking for replacement blades for the R4330 planer. I went to Home Depot and they not only didnt have any, but they werent even able to order any. I would like to know how I can get replacement blades. Where and when blades are to be available. How much they will cost. Thank You.
                  The response:
                  That is incorrect. Home Depot can order the blades for you, if they do not stock them.

The R4330 replacement blade set #AC20501 can be obtained through your local Home Depot. If they are not in stock at the store level, their customer service desk can assist with ordering them for you under their SKU #673-955.

Best regards,
                  So I guess I will stop by after work again today and see if they can order blades and find out how much they are. If they are reasonable/available I will pick up the planer and try it out and then decide which one to keep. I will let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by tncook View Post
                    I am looking at returning the Craftsman 21743 that I got on sale last month and getting the Ridgid 4330 instead. I have been disappointed with the build quality. The bed came scratched, there were a couple nicks in one of the knives. The plastic sides aren't attached well and keep coming loose.

The whole not being able to find blades thing has me pretty worried about the R4330 so yesterday I stopped by the local HD on the way home and after I found someone, who was then able to find the tool guy he looked and they only had blades for a Delta planer (which they don't even sell). He then looked through all the catalogues and the part was nowhere to be found. He tried calling Ridgid, but the recording told him to find the part online.

I went home and wasn't able to even find the planer in the parts lookup tool so I used the customer contact support form. This morning at 8:49 I got a message that there was a response in my ebox.

My message:

The response:

So I guess I will stop by after work again today and see if they can order blades and find out how much they are. If they are reasonable/available I will pick up the planer and try it out and then decide which one to keep. I will let you know what happens.
                    I can second this. I was in Home Depot (one more time to look at the R4330). I talked to the manager of the tool dept. He can definately order the new ones. He said he'd do it today as that's all they are selling anyway.

Comment

Can it be that HD's staff is inadequately trained? Either way, I think HD is driving a lot of customers to other brands because of the lack of consumables being in-stock. This is the reason why I am so reluctant to purchase this planner.

Comment

I feel much better now. I'll talk to my local Home Depot tool manager this Saturday and order several sets.

I've had zero luck finding knives online since my first post here, a few days ago.

I really, really like the R4330 planer.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
                          I feel much better now. I'll talk to my local Home Depot tool manager this Saturday and order several sets.

I've had zero luck finding knives online since my first post here, a few days ago.

I really, really like the R4330 planer.
                          I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger today. I did buy the Ridgid. It's ready to go. I just need to go through the manual again and start planning tommorrow. I felt alot better know I could get the blades in. With the money I saved, I am getting a Bocsh palm router, too

Comment

with the money I saved, I'm planning on doing a sander of some sort.

As long as I can get the consumables, readily, I'm stoked. My new R4330 kicks butt. I'm taking all recommendations from the manual to heart; i.e., wax for planing table, tar and pitch remover for blades, keeping it all clean, thereby prolonging the life of the blades, all that.

I've just planed my test run guitar body. Going to do a Fender Telecaster style guitar body, with an already bought Ibanez RG series neck. Just need to practice a bit with router, templates, finalizing the design.

Then, I spend the $200 plus on the wood for a new butt kicker guitar.

I'm just a Luthier wannabe and cabinet/furniture maker type guy.
                            Last edited by Carl762; 12-12-2007, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
                              I'm taking all recommendations from the manual to heart; i.e., wax for planing table, tar and pitch remover for blades, keeping it all clean, thereby prolonging the life of the blades, all that.

I use Top Cote on my table saw and other surfaces. It's awesome. I'll use that before I try paste wax. Also Top Cote also makes a spray that you put on blades. This helps with keeping all the gunk off the blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X