X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does SDS stand for? Mean?

At work we were talking and the ?? came up....what does the SDS mean..in terms of 1" L-Shape SDS Rotary Hammer Drill. I looked around the net and found nothing....just diffrent companies listing SDS hammer drills.

Thanks all.

Re: What does SDS stand for? Mean?

i am more than likely wrong but i think it is "spline drive system" that is what i was told years ago, but i am not sure if that was right since the same guy told me a ford was better than a chevy........ some people never learn.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Special Direct System, designed by Bosch in 1975. Been using them since 1981 but never new what it stood for until now.

Comment

Wait .. I think I see "SDS" printed on my 1587 jigsaw... gotta check when I return home.

Comment

I asked this question in another forum, OSC may have the right answer...
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i just called bocsh(i know i know i have no life) it stands for slotted drill shaft.

now what do i win?
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Actually the standard refers to it as slotted drive system, or slotted drive shaft. It's sometimes mistaken to mean spline drive system which ironically enough is the other bit standard with the same initials yet is completely incompatible with the one officially known as SDS.

Comment

Solid carbide SDS (special direct system) drill bit

SDS-shank solid carbide tip "monster"
                5900V Lg 116mm
                5901V Lg 166mm
                5902V Lg 216mm
                5903V Lg 266mm

Exist in box

www.riss-industrie.com
                Slotted drill shaft makes more sense, but do an Internet search on "special direct system" and you will see it describes the SDS bits.

Comment

Slotted Drive System

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/brianm/200...stand-for.html
                  Last edited by Velosapien; 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Ok so what's the difference between SDS and SDS Plus?

Comment

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/woodtur...ct-system.jspx

Not looking to beat a dead horse, but according to this and some other info, bosh invented the SDS drill and bits back in 1975. Now is this just ancient history and does the industry in general accept the other definiton for the SDS letters? I agree that slotted drill shaft or shank fits the design of the bit perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        http://www.crazysquirrel.com/woodtur...ct-system.jspx

Not looking to beat a dead horse, but according to this and some other info, bosh invented the SDS drill and bits back in 1975. Now is this just ancient history and does the industry in general accept the other definiton for the SDS letters? I agree that slotted drill shaft or shank fits the design of the bit perfectly.
                        It's possible the definition has changed as the design has evolved and been adopted accross the industry so it's likely the definition has been modified along the way. Technically it makes more sense to be called a drive shaft, rather than drill shaft since it's also used on non-drilling machines like dedicated hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Ok so what's the difference between SDS and SDS Plus?
                          I believe SDS is the original design and SDS+ is a slightly improved version that allows the bit to be simply slipped in and it locks into place. SDS requires the chuck sleeve to be pulled back for for the bit to be inserted. They are both interchangable but I don't think anyone makes plain SDS bits anymore, only SDS+. SDS Max is the same desin as SDS+ only oversized.

Comment

SDS Plus is a smaller shank for the smaller guns usually up to 7/8"-1" drill bits.

SDS Max is a larger shank for the bigger guns up to 2 9/16" drill bits.

They are not interchangeable.

Both styles can just slide into the chuck and lock into place.

Tracy
                            Last edited by yasudaplumbing; 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM.
                            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Hey All

Quote from Wikipedia:

"The SDS bit was developed by Bosch in 1975 and the name comes from the German "Steck – Dreh – Sitz" (Insert – Twist – Stay). German-speaking countries may use "Spannen durch System" (Clamping System), though Bosch uses "Special Direct System" for international purposes.[1][2]"...

SDS - Plus - 10mm shank

SDS - Top - 14mm shank

SDS - Max - 18mm shank

Best from

Ari

Comment

Working...
                              X