X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Powered Wheelbarrow Air Comp question

I have the Gas Powered Wheelbarrow Air Compressor 5.5 HP that I use to glassbead (sandblast) swimming pool tile. It works really well but I get a little lag time. Is it possible to buy a second compressor and link them together to eliminate the lag time? It would be nice to have two compressors (incase one went down) but if this will not work then I'll just go with a bigger unit.

Thanks,

verno55

Re: Gas Powered Wheelbarrow Air Comp question

Before I try to answer this I need a bit more info. Does your air compressor run at full engine speed and yet not quite supply enough air?

If your's is in good condition, you might keep it for backup or sell it and buy a larger one. Dewalt-Emglo should have a model with a larger single tank, bigger compressor and about an 8 HP engine. The price may upset you however. What you don't want is for any gasoline engine driven model to run full out for long. This will wear out both the engine and compressor pump. Doing it now and then is one thing, but if it runs full out for hours per day, that will lead to overheating, burned valves and short life. Most of the wheelbarrow models use too small of an air compressor and run it at high speed. This is to keep weight and cost down.

They figure it will run hard a few minutes and then idle down soon. A good engine like a Honda or Robin can run hard. The compressor pump ends up burned up from overheating. Synthetic air compressor and engine oil helps but it's not the answer. Please tell more.

Comment

Yes, it does run at full and not enough air. I was considering the Dewalt your talking about. Sounds like that's my best option?

Comment

What kind of handheld equipment do you use for this glass-bead blasting?

Comment

Without knowing the requirements of your blasting equipment (CFM at what pressure), it's impossible know what compressor would be best for your application. Knowing the tool's requirements will allow you to fit a compressor system accordingly. Also, it's best to oversize the unit as you need some operating margin.

For instance, if your sandblaster requires 10 cfm at 90 psi, then you need to get a compressor that will easily handle that. I'm not sure what your equipment requires, but that's a very important consideration. Anything less will definitely give you "lag time" as there is no way a small compressor and tank can keep up.

For instance, if my finish spray equipment requires 10 cfm as 40 psi, and I buy a compressor that is rated for just that (10 cfm at 40 psi), I can reasonably run the sprayer, but the compressor will run all the time I holding the trigger in. Because my spray is slightly intermittant, I could probably get by, but but because I allowed no margin in my sizing, the compressor will be working most of the time. Anything less and I will be continually having to stop waiting for the compressor to catch up.

Preferrably, you want a compressor that is more than capable of keeping that tank pressure abundantly ahead of the drain that you're putting on it. So sizing the tank is also important. A larger tank will hold more useable air (pressure/cfm required for your tool) and thus allow more time before the compressor must turn-on to refill the tank.

I hope this helps,

CWS

CWS

Comment

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=15219
            9 HP Honda engine, rated at 16.2 CFM @ 100 PSI, 17 gallon single tank.

The Ridgid GP90135: 5.5 HP Honda engine, (2) tanks of 4.5 gallons each, rated at 10.3 CMF @ 90 PSI

Will your air compressor almost run your equipment or do you have lots of waiting time? You may need even more machine than the above Dewalt.

You may need something like this model W11HGB-30P - http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/portables/tswp.html
            A large roofing contractor in my area ended up getting one so they can do some serious work. That's how I know about it as I got to see it running back in the summer. A phone call and I got the info about it. Go all the way down and look at the lower right of the page. Jenny the company known for steam cleaners must have something to do with the more serious side of Emglo air compressors and Dewalt is more the DIY and light commercial, I guess.

These are like what you'll see in a service truck for tire dealers that work on large trucks. http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/portables/service.html

How to get an idea of which one is right for you - http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/howtochoose.html
            Last edited by Lisa_PA; 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM.

Comment

You might consider getting a 30 gallon electric compressor and a separate gas generator to meet your needs. Granted you might have to rig some additional frame and wheels to make it mobile but you would end up with a much greater volume of air, plus you could always swap a different electric compressor or generator if needed. You are really limited with a 5.5hp wheelbarrow compressor, tanks too small for big volume jobs.

Comment

A very good idea. Maybe please contact your power wheelbarrow supplier and buy some parts from them.
                powered wheelbarrow

Comment

yes you can feed using two compressors, I have hooked up two electric many a time to get an extra volume, they each work independently, if the pressure or unloaders are working properly, it is jsut that the hoses both go to the same unit,

I have used unloaders, on some compressors just like the gas units have, on a number of the compressors I have had.

I had one compressor, that I put a clutch on the gas motor and could power it with either a electric motor or gas,

just put a tee in the hose, actually I recommend a tee with some disconnects on it, and run two short hoses to the tee and then hose to the tools,

I have also used an air bubble for extra tank to reduce the start and stop cycle on some compressors,

I now have a compressor that will keep up with any thing I have, it is powered by the tractor, and has a 60cfm at 100 psi and will pump up the tank on the trailer in about 4 and halve Min's from 0 psi.
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Try buying an air tank first. "T" into the outlet where the pressure relief valve is, but that may not be enough. You will need a 2 stage A/C if you want to do continuous blasting, and for a 100% duty rated A/C it will cost you. That A/C you have is not rated for 100% duty, the engine is but not the pump. 50% is usually what they are rated at. My 6hp,PC electric, 2 stage 80gal will run almost constantly if I am sand blasting. I have a twin window fan atop the A/C to help cool things too, use synthetic blend oil. The motor is constant duty but not the pump. For that you have to spend about 2K and it is overkill for my use.

Comment

NOTE: The post was from December, 2007

Don't know why Dumper brought it back up, but maybe he's selling something!

CWS

Comment

yes, I did not notice the date until after I posted,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                        X