X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Gas powered Air comp question

I have the Gas Powered Wheelbarrow Air Compressor 5.5 HP that I use to glassbead (sandblast) swimming pool tile. It works really well but I get a little lag time. Is it possible to buy a second compressor and link them together to eliminate the lag time? It would be nice to have two compressors (incase one went down) but if this will not work then I'll just go with a bigger unit.

Thanks,

verno55

Re: Ridgid Gas powered Air comp question

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but we used to have a separate air TANK holding air, while running about 6 framing nailers. All the couplings went into the air tank, then the compressor, i think. It's been several years, and my memory is shady!

Comment

It is possible to run 2 compressors at the same time. You would have to build manifold our of iron pipe fittings. A standard t would fit the bill nice (2 hoses in, 1 out) Make sure that you are using a big enough diameter hose to support the higher airflow. At least 3/8 and 1/2 inch if possible.

Comment

I am a Machinist by trade, an answer to your question is yes, but to do it right your would have to include two one way valves after each compressor, and preferably feed into a separate tank. The reason for the one way valves is that each compressor uses a pressure switch to start and stop, and if one is set higher then the other only one compressor will run most of the time, where as with the one way valves inline, as the air pressure drops as you use it, one compressor will start and as you use more or need more air the other compressor will run. This way you can set it up to do just that, have one set a little higher cut in pressure, and the other one comes on when you have a need for more air, and leaves your options open for draining a tank from water build up, while the other compressor is still operating. You could pick up an air tank from a truck scrap yard for next to nothing, as all big rigs have several tanks on them, and then just add your fittings.

Comment

If you need that great a voulume of air, then why spend another $800 or $900 for another wheelbarrow compressor? Get a electric air compressor with a 40 or so gallon tank and run a separate gas powered generator to power it. You can always build a simple frame and wheels for the larger compressor and having two separate units allows for swapping another compressor or generator if needed. If you are really need that much more air you are probably pushing your current compressors to the limit.

Comment

Working...
          X