X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitache Table Saw at Lowes

Any comments on the Hitache saw sold at Lowes? I have been eyeing the Ridgid at HD but after closer look the Hitache has some nice features. all controls on the front for example and price is also lower..

Re: Hitache Table Saw at Lowes

i did not care for the table or the fence rails myself nor the casters at each wheel, now do not take that as me putting down the saw it is what i did nit like about it, but it has also been over a year since i have been in lowes so i do remember, was the table on that one stamped steel? or am i thinking of another one?
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm sure it was cast iron.

Comment

ok, like i said it has been almost a year since i have been in lowes, and i might be thinking of a differnt saw altogether
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Couple of things to look closer at. Check out the fence rail...it's a two-piece rail, which can never be as seamless as a one-piece. Also, grab the fence from the top and see if it's easy to rock it out of 90 degrees square....most are. Compare the rip capacities. Look at the wings....thin sheet steel vs solid cast iron on the 3650. Then see what's involved to move it....4 wheel locks have to go up, 4 wheel locks have to go back down. Compare that to the Herculift. The enclosed motor on the Hitachi is an advantage, but not enough so to offset all the other negatives. (just for the record, the Hitachi motor is not 3hp as they claim either...it's 1.5hp just like all the rest in this class)

In this case, the Ridgid is $50 well spent IMHO. Just wish they'd tuck the motor inside.

Comment

I think that you will probably find that the members here will lean toward the Ridgid for the simple this is their forum, I think that Hitachi is a great saw for the money. I have been looking at it for a while, but just haven't taken the plunge. I think the Ridgid is not immune to problems as the number of post here can attest to. Both have their advantage, but lean toward the Hitachi. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
              I think that you will probably find that the members here will lean toward the Ridgid for the simple this is their forum

lol that is not true just look up the bs1400 band saw, or the 12 slider or the ... well i think you get the point. we complain about all tools including ours.

really this is a very very open forum.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think that you will probably find that the members here will lean toward the Ridgid for the simple this is their forum, I think that Hitachi is a great saw for the money. I have been looking at it for a while, but just haven't taken the plunge. I think the Ridgid is not immune to problems as the number of post here can attest to. Both have their advantage, but lean toward the Hitachi. Ron
                Hi Ron - In general I'd expect the Ridgid to get some "home field advantage", but I don't own a Ridgid saw and often prefer others over it, depending on the choices, but in this case I see very few benefits for the Hitachi over the 3650. What pros do see that I missed?

Comment

Hello
                  I didn't want or mean my post to be confrontational at all. I think the advantage will be the LSA. ron

Comment

Hello
                    I didn't want or mean my post to be confrontational at all. I think the advantage will be the LSA. ron

hey ron i do not see where any one here took your posts to be "confrontational" .... we were just commenting with you not against you.

like i said we are a very open forum here, and your coments are more then welcome.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Hello
                      I'm not picking up on any ruffled feathers at all, Ron. Just good discussion.

In my case, I'm sincerely interested in what you note as being advantages in the Hitachi over the 3650. Sometimes we humans want something to be better whether it is or isn't...Is what you see gut feel or is there something tangeable you can note? I've seen some other discussions about the Hitachi, and people will give subjective comments like "that's a good saw for the money", but no one seems goes beyond their emotional preference and state specifics such as the fence is superior to others because of "....", or that the wings are heavier duty, or that it's more stable, heavier, more powerful, etc., and from a measurable perspective it's not from what I can tell. One often stated benefit for the Hitachi is the claim of a 3hp motor, which really isn't true for that motor. When I try to give the two saws an objective run down, the Ridgid offers a stronger material (wings, legs) or better design (fence, rail, Herculift, cam adjuster, blade guard, more rip), in all cases except motor location. I consider myself a mechanically oriented guy....if I've missed something on the Hitachi, I'd truly like to know.

BTW - what's an "LSA"?
                      Last edited by hewood; 12-08-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                        BTW - what's an "LSA"?
                        "LSA" = Lifetime Service Agreement

Comment

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0FL&lpage=none

Its more comparable to the Ridgid 2400, but without the folding stand and LSA. The reason the motor is enclosed is because it is direct drive. It might make a fine contractors saw, other than moving it around would be a PITA. As far as Im concerned nothing (in the less than $700 range) beats the Ridgid 3650. Im not even really biased because I still havent bought one yet. (maybe a little biased, but not too much)

Comment

Okay guys Ridgid it is besides the green is kinda hideous anyway..

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

I own a Hitachi contractors table saw and it is the worst saw I have ever owned.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X