Got ripped on 2 batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got ripped on 2 batteries

NOS is fine as long as the item doesn't have a "half life"!!!

Still wondering on what feedback i'm going to leave. Hate to drop a neg on them but I still feel I got took!
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

That stinks, but unfortunately that's what buying batteries on ebay is all about...not know what you're really getting.

Comment

The DeWalt site has a "store finder" and "SoCal tools is no where to be found. Even searched by their zip and NADA!
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

In feedback tell the truth. The listing said NEW but what came was unused old stock. In the case of batteries NEW means NEW and not something that's been sitting around.

My part about NOS would only apply to items where if stored in a dry area a few years it wouldn't hurt or lower the value of the item. They will argue that they are NEW because they hadn't been used.

Give PayPal a call and ask them what they think you should do. You have some time to work on it and think too. One thing to watch is if they haven't left good feedback for you and you drop the bomb, expect them to fire back. I've seen much hateful revenge in feedback where it's just 2 people wanting to argue. With their huge feedback number your one negative won't hurt them, A hard negative to us little private people does lower the score. Now if they have already left you feedback, then you can do the negative on them. Just say that what you got was unused but stale stock.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-11-2007, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Correct me if I 'm wrong but didn't the seller offer you full warranty on the batteries? Did they not give you a return option? Did you fully read the sellers terms of sale before buying? Just based on what you have noted, the fact that they offered you a return option as well as a warranty option is 90% better than most sellers on eBay would give you. As far as freshness/stale dated....how long do you think batteries are on the shelf at Home Depot or other stores. Isn't the bottom line whether they charge up and work? I don't really think the seller deserves negative feedback. If you walked into Home Depot and that package of batteries was on the shelf, they would be noted to be new stock like the rest of the stock, regardless of production date. Therefore I don't think the seller was intentionally trying to rip anybody off, especially if they have been listing this way all along with little negative feedback as a result. Call me snarky but I don't think you got "ripped" on two batteries. You've got a 3 month window to leave feedback - why not use them and then decide.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Just a follow-up.....I scrolled through the seller's last 2200 transaction feedbacks. Seller had 5 negatives, all related to item not available after being won due to listing error, shipping delay, etc. Not one negative was regarding the actual item condition/usability. I sell on eBay myself and have been impacted by the flawed feedback system myself. You can't control shipping, yet sellers will neg you if they don't receive it when they want, even if you sent it out the same day they paid. Have had auctions end and sellers not pay, they left negative feedback just because they could even though the transaction wasn't completed. Long story short, the tool guy on eBay doesn't seem to be ripping people off, according to feedback anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                Correct me if I 'm wrong but didn't the seller offer you full warranty on the batteries? Did they not give you a return option? Did you fully read the sellers terms of sale before buying? Just based on what you have noted, the fact that they offered you a return option as well as a warranty option is 90% better than most sellers on eBay would give you. As far as freshness/stale dated....how long do you think batteries are on the shelf at Home Depot or other stores. Isn't the bottom line whether they charge up and work? I don't really think the seller deserves negative feedback. If you walked into Home Depot and that package of batteries was on the shelf, they would be noted to be new stock like the rest of the stock, regardless of production date. Therefore I don't think the seller was intentionally trying to rip anybody off, especially if they have been listing this way all along with little negative feedback as a result. Call me snarky but I don't think you got "ripped" on two batteries. You've got a 3 month window to leave feedback - why not use them and then decide.
                Hi Tinmack.....I understand your points completely.......BUT............

When someone says "new" or "Brand new", ESPECIALLY when buying something that goes bad from just sitting un-used, I would expect it to actually be something fairly new, as in NOT sitting for almost 2 years. To me, saying "new" and "brand new" seven times in the add, led me to believe that the batteries were fresh from dewalt. I understand a few months sitting around but not 2 years. Since most batteries last about 4 years, these are half gone when shipped.

Yes, they offered me a refund, providing I pay the return shipping and they don't refund the original shipping. That's $21 down the drain on an item that I believe is grossly mis-represented. Like I told them, sure there is a warranty, but the item is half gone right off the bat!

Yes, I guess you could say I got a "deal", but actually I did not. I got two batteries that should last 4 years that will most likely only last 2 years, for half the money of real fresh batteries.

I have a local source here in Phx that sells XRP's for $40 each (14.4v) that are rarely over 2 months old, problem was this time he was out of stock. I took a chance and lost, oh well. I've emailed DeWalt directly to get their take on having this company liquidate their old half dead batteries online. I'll post their reply.

Mark

Comment

Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta look at eBay like the stock market(maybe the world's biggest flea market?)....you do bid after all. Like the stock market you gotta be prepared to lose what you play with. When buying, I've gotten screaming deals, even when the Canadian dollar was worth 70 cents and I'm buying in the US, but I've also had disappointments and lost some money. Thankfully, I'm still way up on average. Sometimes you just gotta average things out in the long run....hopefully you'll pick up some screaming deals down the road that will average this latest experience way down.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                    Just a follow-up.....I scrolled through the seller's last 2200 transaction feedbacks. Seller had 5 negatives, all related to item not available after being won due to listing error, shipping delay, etc. Not one negative was regarding the actual item condition/usability. I sell on eBay myself and have been impacted by the flawed feedback system myself. You can't control shipping, yet sellers will neg you if they don't receive it when they want, even if you sent it out the same day they paid. Have had auctions end and sellers not pay, they left negative feedback just because they could even though the transaction wasn't completed. Long story short, the tool guy on eBay doesn't seem to be ripping people off, according to feedback anyway.

I agree on their feedback, it's very good! That was a deciding factor on bidding too.

But my point again is, when the batteries reach the "end of life", it will probably be 2 years from now and not the expected 4+ years. I also wonder how many people actually know how to ck for the manufacture date? I didn't until 2 years ago. I would imagine that most people just take the word of the seller and make a wrong assumption, as in my case, that the batteries are actually new!

The bigger thing that really bugs me is with DeWalt. If they are infact having people sell old stock batteries, that sucks! If it was a 20 year old "new in the box" CORDED drill, I would not care because it won't go bad just sitting on the shelf, but batteries do. Oh well, time to go shoot a few gallons of lacquer and get my daily buzzzzzz! LOL Later.

Mark

Comment

Well, I got a phone call today from DeWalt corporate. The man I spoke with apologized for taking so long to get back to me. Said he had forwarded my email to 2 other people and then went over what all of them thought. The bottom line is as follows, since I had so many questions.

1. DeWalts Nicad's have an "un-charged/un-used" shelf life of between 4 to 5 YEARS! Hmmm, not sure I totally believe that. He completely agreed with my concerns and said the auction description was mis-leading when it stated "new" and "brand new".

2. The seller IS a DeWalt authorized seller and my warranty starts from the date of PURCHASE, not the date of build. All that is needed is a copy of the eBay auction page and/or Paypal statement.

3. Since the seller IS an authorized seller, he/she has a DeWalt rep assigned to them. DeWalt WILL be having a long discussion with them about mis-representing the battery's age AND breaking up kits and selling the items seperately, (a BIG no-no, which she admitted she was doing on the phone.)

4. At any time during the next 2 years, I can take my batteries to the service center and have them tested. If they show any signs of taking a slow dive, I can have them replaced for free.

So, I guess the story is over and lessons learned. Now to figure out feedback. I'll probably just give them a positive and let DeWalt go get em!!!

Mark
                      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

There is a fellow on e-bay called thegoodstuff. He seems to have an unlimited supply of ridgid 18v caulk guns [I think at one time he had 83 of them!] and other ridgid power tools..I wonder how we can determine if he is an authorized ridgid tool distributor?

Not to steal the dewalt thunder of this posting..but I figure the same questions can be asked regarding ridgid tools purchased on e-bay. Keep in mind e-bay seems to have an endless inventory of ridgid battery powered tools and home depot never has anything on their shelves!

I recently purchased a sealed brand new package of 18v 2.5ah batteries on e-bay the package was indeed never opened, it had the original shrink wrap etc.
                        I took the e-bay receipt, cut the UPC code from the package and followed all steps to get the warranty.

The other day I received a letter of rejection indicating the receipt was not from home depot! Now when you register the stuff on this site they have a box for auction!
                        what gives?

I call "shannaigans on ridgid and home depot!!!" Why can't they get on the same page?
                        I have gone into a rant on another posting so I won't be redundant. Others have also articulated the topic.

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus Man. I too wonder where all these tools come from. I know that HD has a HUGE theft problem with whole pallets of tools dissappearing before getting checked in.
                          There is a guy at the 40st swap meet that sells DeWalt every weekend. He "claims" to know everyone at the service center but when I asked about him, they all kinda look at me funny and change the subject. No one knows where he gets all the stuff he sells. I've even talked to DeWalt reps about him, they know of him but can't figure out his angle.

Personally, I think that if someone approaches ANY manufacturer and says "I can move all you can send me cheap enough", they will listen. I'd image that there are more DeWalt/Ridgid/Makita/Ryobi and whatever, sold on one day on eBay than sells in a week at the box stores.

Mark

Comment

For what this may be worth several manufactures have on their web sites that anyone buying anything from anywhere other than a listed (on their site) dealer has NO warranty what-so-ever on the item. Authorized dealers must register all items they sell with the factory and include all manor of info about the buyer, the model and serial numbers and more. This is how the factories are dealing with both counterfeit items being sold and also how they protect their good dealers. I think it would be wise for power tool manufactures to do the same. You go to their web site or call their special phone number before you buy to find out if a dealer is legit or not.

This is on the web site of McIntosh Labs a high end audio equipment manufacture in upstate New York. Please read it carefully.
                            http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/beforeyoubuy.aspx

I know I have seen this type of warning on other web sites. When I find more I'll add to this post.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 12-15-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

WOUSSKO, I believe you hit the nail on the head! I did get a reply from thegoodstuff to my query about warranty protection and if he is a ridgid distributor. He said he is NOT a distributor and as far as warranty coverage goes he essentially said all bets are off...

I take that as maybe a 90 day warranty or the regular 3 year coverage with the serial number etc... But no way will it receive any sort of lifetime warranty.

I understand counterfeit tools, and stolen pallets etc. I also appreciate the legal crap ridgid has and makes us the consumer follow..But it certainly is crap that when you buy a "new never used originally sealed tool" from other than home depot you get bupkas!

I still wonder how thegoodstuff can sell the caulk gun for $79.00 free shipping, or bidding on them with $14.99 shipping? Typical end cost including shipping tends to always be less than the $120.00 plus sales tax that home depot charges!

I did not ask him how he came across 89 of these things! I wonder if the MFG has pallet overruns and has an auction some place!
                              I recall seeing a site that had full pallets of harbor freight tools at auction. You paid pennies to the dollar. The pallets contained returns, close-outs, old stock etc!

You then find this stuff at flea markets.

Cactus Man

Comment

According to Home Depot in Canada, MaxSelect is discontinued, so the guy on eBay may have picked up those caulk guns on a clear out deal. I think some guys buy out kits on clear out/promotion and split them up. Heck, a couple weeks ago the Milwaukee 4 piece V18 kit was $349 less 20% one weekend - plus a free radio. Currently, it's back up to $599. Not a bad margin for profit at $349. As far as buying stuff on eBay, why should you expect the same service/warranty on something that you would get at the retail level? Ebay is like a GIANT FLEA MARKET!! Isn't there a reason stuff is more expensive at the retail level - service and warranty maybe two examples? Most times in life you have to lose some to win some. Sometimes you have to give up warranty or service or whatever to get a deal. There will always be those willing to take a risk/give up something to save a buck. If you can't, best to stay away from eBay or other secondary markets.

Comment

Working...
                                X