Rigid reputation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid reputation

I was at a local woodworking store the other day, looking at planners because I am in the market for one. I talked to one of the sale representatives, who claimed he used to worked for HD, about his thoughts on the Dewalt vs. the Rigid. He said the Dewalt is a much better planner, the best in its class which includes the Rigid R4330. He also said that Rigid reverse-engineers a lot of other manufacturers' tools, spends a lot less money or R&D, and cuts corners in making tools by not using quality material. All of this results in inferior tools that don't last as long as their counterparts. Is there any truth to what he claimed? I'm curious.

Re: Rigid reputation

Yes it is fairly well known that Ridgid shares their R&D technics will Home Depot sales guys. I'm kidding of course and I am wondering what he bases his statements on.

It is possible Ridgid may have contractors building tools for them in the same factory as other brands but I don't know that for sure. It is similar in water heaters in that there are only a few factories building water heaters but there are hundreds of brands out there.

I don't know the first thing about planers so I can't help you there. I think your best bet on advise on a planer would be to ask wood workers before sales guys. The guys here are pretty sharp and should be able to help you.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-10-2007, 11:33 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

VNH,
      While I don't necessarily trust what the salesman said (I'm guessing Rockler in Sac.) I do agree that the Dewalt 735 is likely a better planer than the Ridgid R4330. I base this solely on magazine, and owner reviews that I've read, and looking at them in stores.

When dealing with sales staff, I always assume that they will tell me that the best stuff on Earth is what is sitting on their sales floor.

I recently purchased a planer after a long search. I considered many, including the Dewalt and Ridgid offerings. I ended up with a Craftsman 21759 based on magazine and user reviews, pricing, and my type of usage. If I were a contractor and needed to move my tools around alot, I'd have went with the Dewalt. But the Craftsman 21759 had the features I wanted and I got a good sale price. I'm completely satisfied with it.

If the Dewalt is within your price range, I'm sure you will be happy with it. I've seen mixed reviews for the R4330, but it is much less costly than the Dewalt, and the Craftsman 21759.

Good luck in your search,
      Ern

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
        I was at a local woodworking store the other day, looking at planners because I am in the market for one. I talked to one of the sale representatives, who claimed he used to worked for HD, about his thoughts on the Dewalt vs. the Rigid. He said the Dewalt is a much better planner, the best in its class which includes the Rigid R4330. He also said that Rigid reverse-engineers a lot of other manufacturers' tools, spends a lot less money or R&D, and cuts corners in making tools by not using quality material. All of this results in inferior tools that don't last as long as their counterparts. Is there any truth to what he claimed? I'm curious.
        YES...it's all true...and there are small gold coins inside each battery...they are worth thousands! Don't believe everything you hear. I can say from personal experience that Ridgid makes a quality product.

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
          Wait, don't tell me........and it just so happened he sold DeWalt at his current employer! blah, blah, blah!
          Check out some of the tool comparison tests and check out the comments on Ridgid tools from some of the very experianced users on this forum. I have never used either one of the products you are refering to and therefor have no opinion on them, however I have an opinion on the BS that guy was blowing at you.

Comment

It jsut seems to me from all the post like this one...seems to be a common theam...HD is not a big supporter of Rigid. In my area seems like all the displays are Ryobi and DeWalt....even the adds...seems like HD goes...oh ya and 1 item from Rigid is on sale.

Im sure there are reasons, contracts, marketing stragy and all that...but HD sure dont seem like they care about Rigid.

Comment

It really depends on what planer he was comparing it to. The Dewalt 735 is easily the best planer in the portable category. It packs a ton of great features but is also quite a bit more expensive. The Ridgid 4330 would fall closer in the class of the Dewalt 734 which is also a great planer but lacking a few of the features of its big brother. Compared to the 734 the 4330 has a couple of features found on the bigger 735 so it's probably a little better in that respect. The main drawback from the reviews I've seen is the motor on the 4330 is a little underpowered compared to other portable planers including the DW734.

Comment

Working...
              X