X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me buy a small jackhammer.

I need a demolition hammer or small jackhammer for small concrete demolition projects. (basement bathrooms, etc.)
    I don't do this often and therefore want to go as cheap as possible. I already have a hammer drill, so I want a dedicated non-rotary tool. I'm also looking for something easily carried around.
    Are the smaller ones only electric? Or do they have little pneumatic ones?
    Brand suggestions?
    Am I crazy to think I can get anything for under $300?

Re: Help me buy a small jackhammer.

I don't know if it's any good or not but you might want to drive out to Verona Road and check out this one at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94882
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'd forgotten about Harbor Freight. This brings up the question:

Does anyone have any experience with "Chicago Electric" tools?

Comment

I would rate them mid to low end quality wise. That being said, it's not always true about all of the line. There are some items in the line that are real bargains for the occasional user. For everyday use though I'd look elsewhere for better quality.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Do you currently have compressed air where you'll need it for the work you have in mind? If yes, what are the ratings on your air compressor? What about air hose? If you need to go very far you best think of 1/2" or 3/4" air hose and fittings or you'll loose too much air flow in a long hose run. There are small pneumatic impact hammers that would work, but I really think for the DIYer that the electric ones will be better suited and cost less. If you only need it a day or two you would really be better off to rent a good one. Bosch, Hilti, Makita and other tool companies have good ones for chipping away at walls and such. They are just impact hammers and not rotary hammers for drilling holes. With that in mind, a big beefy 1-1/2 to 2 inch capacity rotary hammer can do some light demo work. Please tell more about what you need to do and over how much time.

If you need to bust up floors don't mess with the little ones. Try renting a Bosch Brute with a bull point bit. Anything less will work you to death and won't really get the job done.

Comment

I have air close by, but it's just a little Porter-Cable pancake, 150 psi max, with standard hoses, whatever size those are.
            But price is an issue, so electric is cheaper?
            I only do 2 or 3 of these jobs per year, but I'd still rather buy than rent.
            Lately it's been basement baths, porch stoop and small front walk demos, etc.

Comment

I have used the Dewalt D25940K Heavy-Duty 3/4" Hex Demolition Hammer for breaching conreate up to 8" thick for rescue training. It works very well but its not too cheap at $900 its a wee bit out of your pricerange but there are other breakers smaller. By Makita that are a littel less around 600-700. havent used them but hope this helps a little.

Comment

For a DIY just doing some work at home, this one should do. For a contractor using it hard, I would say no way. The problem with the small ones is that they will only chip away but not bust up much. You need some serious striking and a big enough bit so you don't just make little holes. I can't find any 3/4" hex shank bits on their site for it. Maybe a phone call would help.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94882
                Last edited by Woussko; 12-11-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I believe you would be better off saving your money on an inferior jackhammer and head to a rental yard instead. A mid size Bosch will do a great job for you and only cost you a days rental.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Question, how much are you expecting to have to break and does it need to be a jackhammer type? Unfortunately $300 won't buy you much when it it comes to quality brand demo hammers other than the small SDS+ chippers which are only suitable for light work like removing tile or small breaks into block. However, for a little over your budget you can get a Dewalt D25500 roto hammer with chipping funtion that packs a pretty respectable 7.3 ft-lbs of impact energy. These can be found for as little as $369 at many places and while it's no dedicated breaker with 20ft-lbs of force it will do a reasonable job at demoing concrete if it's not something you need to do that frequently or the jobs aren't that big as you say. Just an option you might want to consider.

Comment

Dairylander have a look at this thread ->

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13512

" Am I crazy to think I can get anything for under $300?"

Yes
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                      X