Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

    Guys, just wondering if any of you have experienced this problem. I just got the Bosch hose attachment to hook up my Bosch sanders to my 6 gal. Ridgid shop vac. The problem is that when I hook up the Bosch hose, which is about 1" in dia. the vac emits this blood curdling whistle noise that pierces my ears. I called Bosch Customer support (which were very nice) and explained the problem, I thought that there might be a hole in the hose or something, but liked the guy explained I think that there is a problem with the vac, it doesn't make this noise other times, but when you put on the small hose, it starts working very hard and making the weird noise.

    Anyone else had this problem? I am not in a hurry to buy another shop-vac, but if I have to...

  • #2
    Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

    I could not tell from the Ridgid website, but if your vac has the blower feature, get the sound muffler that is available from HD or Sears (I believe it is cheaper at HD ~ $10). Either will fit if your vac is so equipped. My Craftsman 12 gal. did the same thing once when I took the muffler off. When I put the muffler back on the noise stopped.

    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ffler&sLevel=0

    Hope that helps,
    Ern

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

      put a Y in the hose and let it draw air from a 2nd source, a 1" hose is too small for the vac, it is made for a 2-1/2" hose, or buy a micro mini vac.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

        automobiliben

        You might try a second hose in the exhaust port. The muffler-diffuser should help some. I think the howl-whine may be coming from the sander dust inlet. In that case you may need to add more suction hose. Try to be sure of just where this noise really is coming from. Is it near the sander or is it coming from the vac exhaust.

        Please try this and report back. Totally block the inlet to your vac for a few seconds and note the noise. Then install the hose(s) and block them. If there is a leak you'll know about it fast.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

          While some of the whistle may be comming from the 1" port most of it I would imagine is comming from the motor on the vac itself. It is being starved for air flow. It is the same as putting your hand over the hose while the vac is running. It is trying to move so many cubic feet of air and cannot. You need to help relieve the strain on the motor by giving it fresh air. Using the Y will work well, but I would add a reducer to the Y to still maintain good suction on the sander.

          Brandon

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

            Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            automobiliben

            You might try a second hose in the exhaust port. The muffler-diffuser should help some. I think the howl-whine may be coming from the sander dust inlet. In that case you may need to add more suction hose. Try to be sure of just where this noise really is coming from. Is it near the sander or is it coming from the vac exhaust.

            Please try this and report back. Totally block the inlet to your vac for a few seconds and note the noise. Then install the hose(s) and block them. If there is a leak you'll know about it fast.
            The noise isn't coming from the sander, it is coming from the vaccuum itself. I think the issue is with the hose coming down too much in size. Which doesn't make any sense at all since Ridgid sells car cleaning kits that include a 1.25" hose, that just has a reducer at the beginning from the 2.5". I really am going to need a larger shop vac, so I was thinking of maybe getting a larger vac, but it sounds like people are experiencing the same problems with larger vacs. I might try the Y idea, it makes sense. I would have just assumed that Ridgid wouldn't sell accessories that would make there shop vacs howl like banshees, I guess not...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

              Could the noise be coming out the exhaust port? Most shop vacs SKREEEEM out the exhaust port unless you attach an external muffler. Some have a plug and then vent the exhaust in special ways to lower noise. Have you tried using a 1-1/4" hose and then the needed adapter for the sander? One thing you might try is something like masking tape over all connections just in case there's a leak.

              This is bad on a RIDGID forum but I have found in many cases that other brands of hoses are better made than most of the RIDGID ones are. You might look around some at just replacement hoses.
              Last edited by Woussko; 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Could the noise be coming out the exhaust port? Most shop vacs SKREEEEM out the exhaust port unless you attach an external muffler. Some have a plug and then vent the exhaust in special ways to lower noise. Have you tried using a 1-1/4" hose and then the needed adapter for the sander? One thing you might try is something like masking tape over all connections just in case there's a leak.

                This is bad on a RIDGID forum but I have found in many cases that other brands of hoses are better made than most of the RIDGID ones are. You might look around some at just replacement hoses.
                The hose that I was having the problems with is actually a Bosch that is made for my sander, the Bosch doesn't have a 1.25" sander, it is actually a little smaller, they just want you to buy their specifically made hose.

                The one thing that I did like about the Ridgid vac accessories is that most of them are made in USA, but so was the Bosch...

                I might just go and buy a 14 Gal Ridgid SNR vac, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                  I use my sander and vac every week, though I only have the 4.5 gallon pro-pac by ridgid (the tool box shaped unit). I use a few different sanders on the ridgid 1 1/4 hose--including a black and decker that I had to modify the outlet on with some spare parts and electrical tape that is way smaller than 1 1/4 ". I have not experienced this problem at all, but I will say that the ridgid 1 1/4" hose is garbage. I have had it for maybe 8-9 months and it crushes super easy and then kinks all the time. I am in the market for a new one that is hopefully a little more resilient.

                  Speaking to your problem again, even when the hose kinks and little airflow is allowed to the vac it doesn't whistle, so I'm not certain that it would be the airflow problem alone, unless it is just a difference in models (ie yours is more powerful to begin with). I wish I could be more helpful, but I can tell you that if you are going to try a new hose steer clear of the ridgid 1 1/4. I wish I had.

                  PS I do know for sure that with a little imagination and a rubber step adapter or two you can make almost any hose fit any tool with better results than I thought possible. I am constantly fixing kinks in my hose but almost never having my hose come loose from the different tools I hook it up to no matter how much I have to climb ladders or yank it.
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                    Ok, now I am mad and my ear rings.

                    I just got back from the HD and had purchased a 14 Gal. Ridgid SNR vac along with a muffler. First, I tried to attach the muffler to my 6 gallon vac, no beans, the thing still howled like a banshee. SO, I put together the SNR hooked up the Bosch hose and the sander, and hoped for big things. NO LUCK, my ear is ringing soo bad right now from trying to get that thing not to squeal. I tried calling Bosch customer service, but they are closed. There is definitely a manufacturers defect with that hose that is causing it to make that noise. It looks like I got to wait till tomorrow to call Bosch. Do you think that they will send me a new one? Or I could stop by the place I bought it and hope that they will believe my story and exchange it for a new one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                      Most likely it's time to buy good hearing protection of either the disposable ear plugs type or better yet the headphones style. Block that darn noise from getting to your ear drums. It's not a fix but you would do well to have hearing protection as most power tools and vacs make far too much noise.

                      I would try calling Bosch and if that doesn't work then try the dealer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                        Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Most likely it's time to buy good hearing protection of either the disposable ear plugs type or better yet the headphones style. Block that darn noise from getting to your ear drums. It's not a fix but you would do well to have hearing protection as most power tools and vacs make far too much noise.

                        I would try calling Bosch and if that doesn't work then try the dealer.
                        I have the big muffs, and always wear em when vacuming or doing anything noisy. I put em up on my head when not in use just to make sure I don't neglect them or lose them. Today I forgot they were on there and drove home looking like mickey mouse.
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

                          Originally posted by spintyer View Post
                          put a Y in the hose and let it draw air from a 2nd source, a 1" hose is too small for the vac, it is made for a 2-1/2" hose, or buy a micro mini vac.

                          Yep, this is what you need to do.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X