X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid ONE, DeWalt ZERO

Okay have a story to tell about an experience I had purchasing a router combo. Been thinking about a new router combo fixed and plunge bases. My loving wife of some 45 years offered to buy me a new router for Christmas so not wanting to make her mad i agreed and after much thought and reading many reviews on here and other forums I decided on the DeWalt DW618PK and we headed out to the local HD. Well they didn't have the two base combo only the three base combo. I tried the Lowes down the block and they were out I then traveled across town to another lowes and found the combo for $199 and yes I did have the $40 rebate ready to send in. I got home and opened the sealed box and was shocked what I saw.............. the packing of this tool was awful, loose wrench and plastic parts and the bases kinda set in the molded case but not really fitting it. I pulled the motor out and plugged it in to listen at the purring motor..WRONG, motor had a hesitation on start up and made very strange noise till it reved up to full rpm. I'm thinking D..n what else can go wrong..WELLLLLLLLLl guess what I called DeWalt rebate center and just checking on how long to get the $40 rebate when i was informed that they did NOT accept receipts from Lowes...Home Depot yes but Lowes no..I pleaded and even talked to the next guy up and still no way...they said you can send the paper work in and maybe Corp will approve to right now they are saying NO..Well back to Lowes I go and get my money back...now I am really hurting for my new router so I decide to try another HD..I noticed they had marked the Ridgid R2930 combo down to $179 so I picked one up and started feeling of it and yes it was love at first sight...picked one up and brought it home.opened box and found a beautifully packaged product all sealed up and new..the router is smooth as silk and can't wait to try it out. start up is smooth and very smooth running.. as well...just wanted to share this experience with you guys not sure what my conclusions are but I sure do like my new Ridgid router, oh and LED lights are awesume.

Texan

Re: Ridgid ONE, DeWalt ZERO

Dewalt is nothing but pure junk, I bought a hammer drill and had to go and buy a better brand if I wanted to put holes in cement, I kept the dewalt for loaning out only, as it is no good for anything else. So I can see where your coming from, dewalts are great if you don't use them(or plug them in, in your case).

Comment

I've had the Ridgid router since its release and have been very pleased with mine. The motor unit is excellent. I do think the bases need some improvement though. There a little bit of play on the fixed base adjuster which is a bit irritating for ultra fine adjustments, mostly due to them using plastic bits that should be metal with tighter tolerances. I wish the plunge base had a stepped adjuster to make multiple passes easier. I would really love a D handle base too.

The only thing I do find is a huge problem with this router is the dust collection. It's terrible and the adapters are flimsy and very poorly thought out. They are so low on the base the hose snags on the workpiece, clamps, just about anything. I still haven't figured out how to use it without getting showered in saw dust. Anybody at Ridgid listening???

Other than that the leds are remarkably useful, the motor has good power and solid performance.
      Last edited by Velosapien; 12-13-2007, 12:46 AM.

Comment

FWIW I have the the Dewalt 618 kit. I have all three bases. What you're hearing is the 'soft start' in the motor. It's suppossed to that. I have had this kit for almost 4 years now. It looks like it did when I bought it (almost). It works fabulous!! I have flirted with buying another router but since all my jigs are made specifically for my Dewalt, I would just replace the motor if it went out. Which seems like it should be around for a long time. I hate most cases that come with power tools and I dont use them. I make dedicated storage for them in my garage where they are easy to get to and kept out of harms way. The Ridgid is a fine machine, I am sure. But the Dewalt is no slouch either...

Comment

Exactly, what you heard was the soft start of the router, it is supposed to do that. Dewalt routers are very very durable, the only thing better in my opinion is the Porter Cable's. Either one are great routers.

Comment

So far the reviews of the ridgid router have been mostly positive. But make no mistake, the dewalt 618 group is a very highly regarded router. It handles really well because of it's low center of gravity (made possible by incorporating the top bearing support into the cap) and wonderfully balanced plunge base.

Comment

Working...
            X