Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm/laminate router...which do you have?

I was just informed that Wood Mag wants to use my shop tip and they are giving me $100.00. So I figured I would use that to get one. I am interested in the Ridgid and Bosch. What's your experience with any brand good or bad. Thanks.

Re: Palm/laminate router...which do you have?

Congratulations!
    I have the Porter Cable and LOVE it. Lots of accessories available for it (the main reason it got the nod over the Ridgid.) Heard lots of good about the Bosch, but it just didn't feel right. Personal preference.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I have the PC also, with the triple base kit, and the ridgid. I have used the dewalt quite a few times and even the *gasp* harbor freight version.

I have to say I love the ridgid one, but res is right, no accessories is a big minus. For me since I have two I don't need the versatility in the ridgid and if you don't anticipate needing the offset or tilt bases I highly recommend it.

I have a love/hate with the PC. The bases are not easy to change, the offset base gives you very little depth adjustment and it there is quite the learning curve in getting used to all of it. It does hum though, and now that I am well versed in changing bases, bits, and depths it is a very good tool.

The DeWalts that I have used have been very good too. I like the way their bases change better than the PC and they feel good in the hand. I haven't used the bosch at all but wish I had an opportunity to, it seems to be a crowd pleaser. The harbor freight? It didn't smoke when I had it in my hands, but I wasn't sure it wouldn't start at any moment.

Eli

PS Good stuff on getting your tip published! Getting paid means you are by definition a pro writer now!
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
        Congratulations!
        I have the Porter Cable and LOVE it. Lots of accessories available for it (the main reason it got the nod over the Ridgid.) Heard lots of good about the Bosch, but it just didn't feel right. Personal preference.
        Which PC model? The older but proven 310 or the newer 7310 series?
        Pros and cons to both models.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have the PC model my guess is it is the older unit has I have had it for a number of years,
          I have the off set base, as well.

I have been very pleased with it, and at one time custom cabinets in the shop here. No I have not compared or had the opportunity to try other models or manufactures.

on many things I use it as a general router, with 1/4" shank bits, very, very, handy, and I also have or had 4 other full size routers (gave one to my son in law),
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Currently it looks like the new Porter Cable and Dewalt palm routers are actually the same tool with some minor differences between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Which PC model? The older but proven 310 or the newer 7310 series?
              Pros and cons to both models.
              Pros to the older 310 model is it is tried and true and very well reviewed by the pros doing production laminate trimming. Cons are you can no longer get the offset base unless you score one in an auction or yard sale. It is also more expensive.

Pros to the newer model is all bases and accessories are readily available, it is a bit smaller in the barrel thus easier to hold, and is cheaper. Cons are it is not as well made and in my own experience is not super tight in the accuracy of the table to the bit, or anything else for that matter.

Disclaimer: I have not had a chance to use the 310--when researching trimmers it seemed like the only one to get EXCEPT it has no bases available anymore. This had people in the industries that depend on these trimmers buying up any and all bases and accessories they could find at rising prices, so now they are very scarce at best. All reviews I have seen comparing the two has said there is no comparison--the 7310 is junk next to the 310. I still use my 7310 every week and it gets the job done.

I enjoy the ridgid more than the PC. The soft start and feel of it are just nicer. They only matter if you can use it in a given application though, so until they get more bases the PC is indispensable in my lineup.
              Last edited by woodenstickers; 12-15-2007, 03:19 PM.
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

This is a very easy question to answer. If all you're doing is trimming laminate and you want a bullet proof machine, then buy the PC 310. If versatility is important then buy the bosch colt. The ridgid unit has a poor height adjustment mechanism. The PC 7310 and dewalt counterpart are prone to developing slop between the motor and base.

Comment

I use a Rotozip. It works great for me.

Comment

I have the Ridgid which I bought on sale earlier this year. It is typically "Ridgid" as it is built well, runs smooth, has more than enough power, has a nice long cable with the signature lighted plug, and has a great case. However, I must admit that there are some disappointments to it:

The height adjustment is rather simple and crude IMO.

The side opening is without a safety guard and if you're not careful with your grip, I can imagine a finger going where it shouldn't... while I've not read a single post of any such accident, it seems to me that a cover should have been provided.

There are simply no optional extras on this router. While it does come with a small edge guide, there are no other accessories available. I've written to Ridgid, but apparently there are no future plans for accessories at this time.

In hindsight, I think the Porter-Cable model would have been a better choice.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                    X