X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact driver bits and adapters

I recently purchased the Ridgid 18/24v impact driver and snapped the bit tip off on the first test try. Is there a difference between screw bits and socket adapters that are meant for the impact drivers torque ratings. I found a Dewalt 38 piece "Impact Ready" bit kit at HDepot but is there other ones on the market or are the standard bits strong enough for the impact drivers? I guess what I really want to know is what are the best bits for the Impact Drivers for screw driving, nut driving and adapting my standard socket set onto it? Thanks for any help.

Re: Impact driver bits and adapters

There are differences and you would do well to go for true industrial grade bits if you'll be using them much. APEX are about as good as you can buy but you do pay for them. The link below is for their catalog. They have loads to select from so take your time to look them over carefully.
    http://www.cooperpowertools.com/cata.../TC-100_EN.pdf
    Last edited by Woussko; 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I've heard that McFeely's makes some of the best impact bits. I've never used them myself but many on the forums swear by them.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/impact-driver-bits

Ern

Comment

As the others have said, YES, there is a difference between standard screwdriver bits and impact bits. Good bits will not only last longer, but round off less screw heads because they are tougher and don't deform as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by alexc2323 View Post
          I recently purchased the Ridgid 18/24v impact driver and snapped the bit tip off on the first test try. Is there a difference between screw bits and socket adapters that are meant for the impact drivers torque ratings. I found a Dewalt 38 piece "Impact Ready" bit kit at HDepot but is there other ones on the market or are the standard bits strong enough for the impact drivers? I guess what I really want to know is what are the best bits for the Impact Drivers for screw driving, nut driving and adapting my standard socket set onto it? Thanks for any help.
          Yup....The bit that came with the tool literally shattered very early on. I have a Bosch bit set which has been working very well. Philip and square drive bits have been holding up. I have found star drive bits and screws to be the most satisfactory in tough conditions like driving 3-4 inch deck screws. They anchor in rock solid and come out easy after driving. When I first started using them there was a premium of around two dollars a pound however lately that seems to be easing.

Comment

I use the Dewalt impact ready bits and haven't have any problems yet. The adjustable angle on one of the bits is EXTREMELY nice to have. It's gotten me out of a jam several times.

Comment

Originally posted by GilBeQuick View Post
              I use the Dewalt impact ready bits and haven't have any problems yet. The adjustable angle on one of the bits is EXTREMELY nice to have. It's gotten me out of a jam several times.
              I use this kit too. So far no problem and have yet to wear out/break/round off even one bit. Problem is they are only phillips.
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

APEX bits - by far.

Comment

Working...
                X