Need Compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Compressor

For two Framing nailers, The RIDGID OF45150 (steel version) is all you will every need. 4.9 CFM at 90, Induction motor.... The Aluminum 5 gallon is lighter and has a oil lube pump, but cost more.

The Dewalt compressors have a vacuum type universal motor that will not last as long.
    Last edited by Discostu; 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I own a Ridgid OF45150"A" (steel tanks) which puts out 6.2 scfm @ 90 psi
      I can run two framing nailers without much of a problem.
      This works great for me on the job site but I usually grab my wheel barrow to get it places....

Name:  ca43075ffc4f167286587b4dd680193d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  67.5 KB

I would second the suggestion of the Makita compressor on wheels or one of the smaller pancake compressors for around the house...

Originally posted by skirk55 View Post
      I use a 18 gauge 2 1/4" brad nailer and a 2 1/2" finish nailer.
      The air nailers you're talking about don't require a ton of air. If you were running framing nailers that would be a different story.

There is some good general info in my Bostitch tool manuals that would apply for most other brands...

This info comes from my coil framing nailer ->

AIR CONSUMPTION:
      The N89C requires 8.23 cubic feet per minute (233 liters per minute) of free air to operate at the rate of 100 nails per minute, at 80 p.s.i. (5.6 kg/cm2). Take the actual rate at which the tool will be run to determine the amount of air required. For instance, if your fastener usage averages 50 nails per minute, you need 50% of the 8.23 c.f.m. (233 liters per minute) which is required to operate the tool at 100 nails per minute.

This info is from my 15 gauge finish nailer ->

AIR CONSUMPTION: Model N52FN requires 4.0 cubic feet per minute and Model N62FN requires 5.3 cubic feet per minute of free air to operate at the rate of 60 fasteners per minute, at 80 p.s.i.g. To calculate the actual rate at which the tool will be run to determine the amount of air required, for example; if your usage averages 30 fasteners per minute, you need 50% of the 4.0 c.f.m. or 5.3 c.f.m. which is required for running at 60 fasteners per minute.

Finally this is from my 18 gauge brad nailer ->

AIR CONSUMPTION: The LHF97125, BT125, USO56 and SL125OC require 2.8 cubic feet per minute (.08 cubic meters) the BT200, SX150, SX150-BHF and SL150 require 3.1 cubic feet per minute (.09 cubic meters) of free air to operate at the rate of 100 nails per minute, at 80 p.s.i. (5.6 kg/cm2). Take the actual rate at which the tool will be run to determine the amount of air required. For instance, if your fastener usage averages 50 nails per minute, you need 50% of the tool’s c.f.m. which is required to operate the tool at 100 nails per minute.

Most nail guns cfm requirements are for pumping the maximum amount of fasteners through it constantly. In the real world we don't really use them that fast, depending of course on what you're doing. (used to staple "gimp" onto prefabricated camper and motor home panels at the rate of probably 200 staples or so per minute - tack at beginning and end then go back and fill...)

Anyways if your guns require between 3 cfm and 5 cfm per minute you could probably get away with a 2 - 4 cfm @ 90 psi unit and have enough air. The real air hogs are drills and rotary tools not nailers and staplers.

Hope this helps
      Last edited by jbergstrom; 12-19-2007, 08:37 PM.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

This is something I need help with. I don't want to purchase a Compressor that will not last or not do the job. I borrowed my neighbors Sears Compressor and I liked it because it was small but it would not work well with my nailer. It seemed to run allot. I went out in my shop and got my old 10gal. compressor and it ran one time to refill the tank. But it was too noisy for in the house. I will be going over what everyone has posted with there information. Thank you for all of the time you all gave me in helping me decide what to purchase.

Comment

skirk55,

I have one of the new 2.5 gallon Ridgid Aluminum twinstack air compressors. It's about the smallest decent thing out there. I also have an 18 gauge brad nailer and 16 gauge finish nailer (the Ridgid combo kit). As long as you are not looking at it for major use with a framing nailer or roofing nailer, as others have said, then this compressor may be the one for you. It is very small and lightweight (30-some pounds), and is a dandy for carrying around and using in the house. It is an oil-free pump, but if you are not going to be using it for hours and hours and days and days on end, and you won't be cycling it constantly, this thing is a peach. Quite quiet to use in a house, and plugs and runs fine on in-home plugs (not a huge power draw).

My 2 cents.

Comment

Ridgid Combo Kit?

Comment

Yeah, they've got a kit that they put out a while back. It had the R213BNA 2 1/8" brad nailer, the R250SFA 2 1/2" straight finish nailer, and the 9.6 volt cordless pivoting screwdriver (R81030), with charger and one battery.

I found it at my local HD here in Canada for $219 for the whole kit, plus $199 for the 2.5 gallon aluminum twinstack air compressor, and then with $75 off for a power tool savings event that HD had on that weekend, plus 10% for a HD credit card purchase. Was a pretty good deal for us up here.

If I remember right, those kits are around $189 at the US HD's, and I remember people picking them up for around $129 on clearance sales. There might be the odd store here or there who has one of these kits collecting dust up in the overhead storage sections.

Kick butt little kit.

Comment

I went to Home Depot today and looked for the compressor nailer combo and I was told they don't carry that. Are they just on the internet as a combo?

Comment

Here's a Porter cable combo...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ccode=13272130

Here's other combos...

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...Path=4272.4289
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I was looking at the porter cable combo at HD and they also give you a pin nailer also. You get 4 nailer's in that package. I don't seem to find a combo compressor and nailer by Ridgid. I purchased a Ridgid 2" 18gauge nailer and I like it very much. If Ridgid will not sell a combo I will go with Porter Cable.

Comment

Noise is the largest issue for me. I live in a condo and do not want to disturb my neighbors. Since an air compressor wont run or cycle that very long and if I pick my times well I can keep the neighbors happy, but I need a machine that is reasonably quiet. 16 - 18 gage brad and pin nailers. Any recommendations?
                      Steve.

Comment

It is an actual kit, not an internet special. The Ridgid part number is R6900FNA. I don't have a SKU for it. But, with that part number, you can probably call around to your local HD's to see if there is still an active SKU for it, and see if someone still has one of these kits lying around gathering dust in their overheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                          Noise is the largest issue for me. I live in a condo and do not want to disturb my neighbors. Since an air compressor wont run or cycle that very long and if I pick my times well I can keep the neighbors happy, but I need a machine that is reasonably quiet. 16 - 18 gage brad and pin nailers. Any recommendations?
                          Steve.

This compressor is great for what your looking for. I bought my father in law one and it is very quiet and light. I think I am going to buy one for myself.
                          http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=MAC700

I have been very impressed with Makita compressors. Dewalt, not so much.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                            The makita w/ 5.2 gallon tank on wheels looks real sweet!!!!!!! http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=MAC5200 It sells for a liitle over $300!!!!
                            I agree, great compressor!
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Tyman,
                              Thank you.
                              I went to HD today and explained my concerns about noise. The tool salesman could not have been nicer. He plugged in the PC pancake compressor and ran it so I could hear the noise. He also ran one of the Ridgid torpedo machines. In fact, the less expensive PC was quieter and since I need guns and they have a great deal on compressor / gun combo's, that is what I am going to purchase. The PC compressor was not as loud as I had thought it might be.
                              Thanks again.
                              Steve.

Comment

Folks,
                                I did purchase the PC 3 + 1 nailer combo including the pancake compressor. During the required 15 minute break in run I checked around the condo and property to see if there was any excessive noise that might bother the neighbors. All seemed reasonably quiet, so I closed the drain and allowed the compressor to charge. This took 3 & 1/2 minutes. I then oiled and loaded the 18 gage brad nailer and drove 39 nails into a poplar / Ply joint before the compressor cycled back on. It took about 30 or so seconds for the compressor to recharge itself.
                                So, I am pleased with this set up.
                                Steve.
                                Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM. Reason: droped a word

Comment

Working...
                                X