Need Compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Compressor

I just purchased a Ridgid Nailer and now I have to replace my old compressor. Can anyone recommend a compressor that is portable and powerful to operate air nailer's. I look at Hod Dog , Pancake and twin tank but I don't know enough about compressors to make a good decision. I purchased a 10 gal. compressor and it has plenty of power but to heavy to carry around the house.

Re: Need Compressor

what ridgid nailer?

a framing gun requires a lot of air volume to keep it running.

a brad nailer requires very little air volume.

so depending on your gun and future uses, you would need to size the air delivery and storage tank to match.

nothing wrong with a portable pancake or twin tank. but remember the large framing nailer will cause the compressor to restart every few (3-6) shots with the small tank compressors.

this is not the best for the motors duty cycle. not to mention that if you're nailing plywood (rapid consecutive firing), you'll run the pressure down faster than your compressor will keep up.

that 10 gallon tank will start to look better for you.

size your compressor and tank to your application. bigger is better than too small.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I use a 18 gauge 2 1/4" brad nailer and a 2 1/2" finish nailer.

Comment

skirk55

Is there any chance that over the next few years you'll want to add on more air tools? If yes, you need to think about a serious air compressor with a good size tank. You might want to invest in 100 feet of good 3/8 or 1/2 ID air hose and some quick couplers and fittings. That way you can have compressed air all over your home. Something to remember is to have a filter an regulator not far from the tool. Set the line pressure higher than the tool needs and use the local filter and regulator with a short (under 25 foot) hose from it to the air tool.

A good well made stationary air compressor and good tank is a nice investment. It won't cycle all the time, will last longer than the little ones, will give you plenty of air and it won't blast your ears out. The small ones run normally at high speed and make loads of noise. A good well made belt drive air compressor runs much slower and you can install a good intake silencer-filter to keep noise down.

I may be crazy but I like to think about 1, 2, 5, 10 years into the future and what I will need then. A good investment in quality almost always ends up costing less than buying cheap and tiny now only to have to upgrade soon.

Please give this some thinking before buying any air compressor.

Comment

The makita w/ 5.2 gallon tank on wheels looks real sweet!!!!!!! http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=MAC5200 It sells for a liitle over $300!!!!
          You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
            The makita w/ 5.2 gallon tank on wheels looks real sweet!!!!!!! http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=MAC5200 It sells for a little over $300!!!!
            Nice package but kind of loud at 90 DB. Distance is not in specs however. If that's at 10 feet or over, you had better wear hearing protection.

I do see something that's totally BS. There is just NO way you can run a 3 HP motor on a 15 Amp, 120 Volt circuit. At best you would need a 30 Amp 120 Volt circuit or a 15 Amp 240 Volt circuit to run a 3 HP motor. In reality figuring in startup current it comes to a 30 Amp 240 Volt circuit to properly start and run a true 3 HP motor. The shown rating is peek power for 1 second so a reading can be taken and is not true power. This is done all too much with power tools. It needs to end now.

The good part is that it is a nice package. I like the hand truck with hose storage and the $$$ is nice too. The bad part is look at the air output rating of 6.5 CFM @ 90 PSI. Another thing I do not like are direct drive compressors and 3400-3500 RPM motors. This ends up sounding like a very over sped small air cool engine running at about 6800 - 7000 RPM. Can you say SKREEEEEEEMING LOUD?

Sorry everyone but I like my old slow speed chugger quiet air compressor that can run for hours and not give up.

Note: Woussko is an old grunt very set in his ways and very stubborn. This comes with aging and being an old grunt by nature.
            Last edited by Woussko; 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I looked a Dewalts compressor and it is quiet but my son told me that Dewalts compressors do not hold up. He went through two and then he got a Porter cable and it outlasted all of the Dewalts. I looked a Ridgid with the aluminum tanks but I did not see it fired up so I don't know how loud it is.

Comment

It's weird that the Dewalts do not hold up as they are or at least were essentially Emglos w/ the Dewalt name embossed on them. Emglos were the Cat's meow when it came to to air compressors. Who knows maybe Dewalt buying Emglo really affected the quality!!!

Comment

Woussko some of the amazon reveiwers thought the HP rating on the Mak was hogwash too!!!!

Comment

Go for the Ridgid air compressor, you won't be sorry ever. They are easy to handle, pump air like they're suppose to, and not to noisy, and they will out last just about anything on the market, including PC by a long shot. This is from experience.

Comment

The belt drive Emglo compressors with cast iron compressor pumps were good. The high speed direct drive models aren't so good. Actually the real Emglo was bought out by Jenny the steam cleaner company. Dewalt-Black & Decker just got to make use of a few models for mass market to contractors and DIYers.

Please see this and read the bottom part. http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/history.html

On November 20, 2003, Jenny purchased the Emglo line of Industrial Stationary Air Compressors and the entire Air Compressor Pump Manufacturing Facility from Black & Decker/DeWalt prior to the relocation of their plant to Renosa, Mexico. Jenny and our affiliated companies had been supplying and manufacturing a large number of parts, components, and assemblies for Emglo for over 30 years.

In keeping with our heritage of being a leading innovator and manufacturer of the finest available equipment, we manufacture a complete and extensive line of Hand Carry, Single and Two-Stage Wheeled Portable, Service Vehicle Compressor, Industrial Stationary, Base Plated Mounted, Climate Control and Fire Sprinkler Compressors.

Jenny Products, Inc.
                      850 North Pleasant Avenue
                      Somerset, PA 15501-1069
                      Phone 814-445-3400 / Fax 814-445-2280
                      www.jennyproductsinc.com

This is what Jenny is famous for - http://www.steamjenny.com/

Here are some serious Industrial air compressors by Davey which now is part of Jenny - http://www.daveycompressor.com/

Anymore it's wild who owns who. Companies keep getting bought and sold and bought again. I realize that the above is not for the home owner. I was only trying to show that things are constantly changing. Now if you can afford a good belt drive cast iron compressor on a good size tank and run air lines, that's the way to go. You'll be sent for a nice long time.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

The Ridgid compressor that has aluminum tanks can it be ran in the house with a 15 amp breaker with out burning up the outlet or blowing the breaker? I looked at the Ridgid compressor that has steel tanks. Is the compressor with aluminum tanks the same motor as the steel tanks?

Comment

I have the OL50135AL model aluminum twin stack and am very pleased with it. It's really a lot bigger than I need but that's a good thing.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Air-Compressors/index.htm - Check the amount of delivered air at XX PSI. There are differences depending on model.

Comment

I have the Campbel Hausfeld twinstack- 4 Gallons, 4cfm at 90 PSI. About 140 dollars on Amazon. Runs my trim guns and my framing gun no problem.

I would suggest an oil lubed unit as opposed to oil free for the longevity of the tool will increase greatly.

Comment

Working...
                              X